Author Topic: William Henry Allen,Titanic Victim.  (Read 6794 times)

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Henry Allen,Titanic Victim.
« on: Friday 13 April 12 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hello all,i thought you might be interested in a story connected to the Titanic,My grandmother worked in a mens outfitters in Winson Green or Ladywood where she lived in Birmingham Warwickshire.William Henry Allen who she knew not well but just to say hello to, came into the shop to buy his new clothes as he was emigrating to the US.William was the only passenger in 3rd class who was single and from Birmingham.William was a toolmaker,i believe he was born in Nottingham in 1877.I am sorry to say that he died and was never found.If there are any relatives out there of William perhaps they would be interested in this bit of info.regards tobyma123. :(
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline davidrigg3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Researching for my partner
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Allen,Titanic Victim.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 April 12 16:27 BST (UK) »
According to the passenger list he was 35 so 1877 looks correct, his ticket was number 373450.

I've been looking at the passenger list and deaths at sea list this afternoon - certainly brings a lump to your throat when you see whole families listed, Mum, Dad and 6 or 7 children!  :'(
Rigg/Scholfield - Oldham/Rochdale
Hibbert/Moore - Hayfield/Saddleworth
Garstang/Kirby - Littleborough/Todmorden
Sutcliffe/Hill - Todmorden/Walsden
Young/Stevenson/Newbutt - Ticknall/Kegworth/Nutall/Hucknall/Bulwell
Woolley/Potter, Gaze/Parkins - Kegworth/Normanton-on-Soar/Wheathampstead/Harpenden
Smith/Green - Offley/Flamstead

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 April 12 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hello davidrigg3,this was something my gran told me that i always remembered and the strange thing is that i decided to look for him not knowing his name,but i was amazed that he was as i said the only person from Birmingham single in 3rd class.What a find but a sad one.They found his bag on the floor of the cabin with his waiscoat and pocket watch,i guess he just tried to get out quickly no time for anything.the price of his ticket was £8 1shilling.There were a few familys from the midlands all with 6 or 7 chidren that were lost how aweful.regards tobyma123. :(
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 April 12 18:13 BST (UK) »
I've added a link to this thread on the Titanic Links topic (Useful Links)-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,591875.new.html#new
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline paallen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 December 12 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

WH Allen was my grandfathers brother so your post was very interesting for me.  Do you have any other details please?

Penny

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 December 12 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello paallen,it has been a long time since i posted that and i am looking for my old notes,as far as i can remember i think he was born in Nottingham abt 1877.He lived in the Summerfield or Winson green area of Birmingham not far from my gran.He was a toolmaker and and was the only single person in 3rd class from Bham,he was emigrating to the USA.If you go to the website Encyclopedia Titanica,they have a photo of him and his details,you may have to log in with user name.Also if you type in Artifacts of William Henry Allen,on google,there is a photo of his watch(stopped at 10 to 11) and a picture of his waistcoat,that were recovered from his bag on the floor of the cabin.If i can find my old notes i will get back to you although i think you will find his family on the census.regards tobyma123. :)

Offline amfinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 18:12 GMT (UK) »
My nan told the family that she had a cousin who died on the Titanic. He was going to USA with his boyfriend to start a new life. They both died. This story was told to Nan by William Henry Allen's uncle Henry Hunt(who was nan's grandfather). Henry Hunt was living in America at that time (poss the uncle William said he intended to stay with?) Could the 'boyfriend' be the best friend, George Herbert Hinckley who was bath steward and also died on the Titanic?  Henry Hunt was a Pearl button maker in UK but a confectioner in USA in Chicago and was in New York at time of Titanic sinking. Henry Hunt returned to England in 1930's and died in Birmingham in 1935.

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello amfinn  if you read my previous posts there is a website Encyclopedia Titanica.
It gives a lot of info also his photo.
I never thought I would find him it was amazing but very sad as he was one that
was never found.
regards tobyma123. :)

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 October 17 19:14 BST (UK) »
William Henry Allen (as well is amfinn) is a ancestor of mine.
My 2nd great grandmother is Amelia Fanny Allen, 1859–1913

This thread was very interesting. Thanks!
Swinbourne, Hunt, Maxwell, Taylor, Williamson, Burt, Cant, Cameron, Leavesly, Cooper, Rankine, Taylor, Anderson