Author Topic: Death of young boy  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Barnsley1990

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of young boy
« on: Saturday 14 April 12 08:22 BST (UK) »
Does anybody know of a young boy who has died in the klondike area of Barnsley within the past 100 years?

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Death of young boy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 12 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Chloe and welcome to Rootschat  :)

Can you give us a bit more information?  a hundred years is a very long time, I'm sure there must have been more than one young boy who has died in that area in that time.
Are there particular circumstances you're interested in, or a particular person?  Please give us all the information you can about what you're looking for why, as it will help us to help you.

Cheers
Prue

Offline Barnsley1990

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 12 08:30 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid its a name what I am looking for and where the new estate is kingwood close at klondyke now called monk bretton in barnsley I don't know the circumstances of death either not much help I know but I didn't know where to start for information. Would have died exactly in this area maybe a road accident?

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 12 08:43 BST (UK) »
OK, but you must have more of an idea of when this might have happened?  Is this a particular generation of your family?

What makes you suspect that there was this possible accident?

Meantime I will move this to the Yorkshire (West Riding) (where I think Barnsley is!) board where it may get more local interest.

Cheers
Prue

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 April 12 10:01 BST (UK) »
An article on Monk Bretton, Barnsley, has this

Towards the end of the century three rows of terraced houses were built to the east of the village, near the boundary with Cudworth, and given the wonderful names of Faith, Hope and Charity streets. This area was known as ‘Klondyke’, emerging about the same time as the Gold Rush in North America.

http://www.aroundtownpublications.co.uk/online/village-history/barnsley/monk-bretton.html

what has brought to mind the boy of the question?    what made you want to ask about him?

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline carolanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 12 10:39 BST (UK) »
Your best bet is to go to the Archives Department at Barnsley Library and make enquires there.
Regards Carolanne
Kenworthy- Barnsley area
Horn/Horne- Barnsley-Silkstone-Thurgoland
Booth-Emley-Flockton
Hampshire-Flockton
Moore-Barnsley
Markey-Barnsley

Offline BrianPeaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 June 18 06:02 BST (UK) »
I used to live in Monk Bretton and played on the canal towpath.  In the late fifties a young boy drowned in the slurry pond of the pit and I remember the police dragging the pond to retrieve the body.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 04:30 BST (UK) »
Can't help with info of the boy but Klondike is about 300 yards below Royston crossroads on Church street- see link - Royston Working Mens club sign in brackets on the sign -(Klondike)

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5973814,-1.4531263,3a,17.1y,202.43h,90.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZMca4Yo6dylvXQMwWwjPaw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The old name for now called Bridge Dike (an actual dike) that runs down from Royston to (East of) Monk Bretton/(West of) Cudworth boundary.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 05:52 BST (UK) »
And a (slightly belated) warm welcome to Rootschat from me - to Barnsley1990 and BrianPeaker.

The only one I found by searching "road accident" Barnsley, boy death was this report from 2004 about Sam Boldy (13) in Hunningley Lane:
https://www.thestar.co.uk/whats-on/out-and-about/bike-boy-who-died-chased-by-gang-1-328679

As PrueM has pointed out - 100 years is a long period to search without much information.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk