Author Topic: Jardine/ Applegarth  (Read 5763 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Jardine/ Applegarth
« on: Saturday 14 April 12 13:56 BST (UK) »

I have been searching for Joseph JARDINE  & Janet (nee Kerr) children and found these on Scotlands People. The thing is, it doesn’t give the mother’s name, so I am not 100% sure :-\. Thought they would have had a son Joseph but can’t find one.
Joseph & Janet (nee Kerr) were married in 1792.

George JARDINE - Father - Joseph Jardine Ch. 24 December 1797 - Tundergarth
Thomas JARDINE - Father - Joseph Jardine Ch. 13 July 1800 - Tundergarth
John JARDINE - Father - Joseph Jardine Ch. 3 July 1803 - Tundergarth
Betty JARDINE - Father- Joseph Jardine Ch. 8 April 1805 - Tundergarth
William JARDINE - Father - Joseph Jardine Ch. 20 December 1807 - Tundergarth
Janet JARDINE - Father – Joseph Jardine Ch. 3 March 1813 - Tundergarth
Samuel JARDINE - Father - Joseph Jardine Ch. 15 May 1815 - Tundergath
Samuel JARDINE - Father - Joseph Jardine Ch. 8 April 1818 – Tundergarth

Would like to know if the family below could be the same:

16/03/1793 JARDINE ESTHER JOSEPH JARDINE/JANET JARDINE FR41 F APPLEGARTH AND SIBBALDBIE /DUMFRIES
The name Esther doesn’t appear anywhere on the family tree, though.
This will be the first John who died: 04/12/1795 JARDINE JOHN JOSEPH JARDINE/JANET JARDINE FR43 M APPLEGARTH AND SIBBALDBIE /DUMFRIES 813/0A 0010 0061
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Jardine/ Applegarth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 12 15:16 BST (UK) »
Regarding the last two entries you show, not sure.

The SP birth/christening entries for both Esther 1793 and John 1795 would show mother Janet as a Kerr rather than Jardine you would think, as is normal practice in Scotland  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 12 15:22 BST (UK) »
Have you seen Jamjar's thread here on Joseph and Janet? www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,243369.0.html

Monica

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Yes, Cupcake and I are working on this together.

Her first list are proven now from a church registration book. It's the Applegarth ones that are the problem. A chap in Canada has got a James with parent's Joseph and Janet Kerr, but we haven't been able to find a birth for him. James went to Canada before Joseph and Janet.

I have found a James registered to James Jardine who appears to be Joseph's brother, though.

Records in Canada also State that Joseph and Janet had 9 children. It didn't say if it was living only. We have 8 as per list provided by Cupcake and one recorded as unbaptised and deceased under age 1. So that's the 9. No room for a James, if the deceased children we included in the 9.

Monica are you suggesting that the Applegarth Janet Jardine will actually be nee Jardine?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 April 12 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar

I would have thought the Janet Jardine who shows on those two OPR entries would have the maiden surname of Jardine. A woman's maiden surname in Scotland was (is!) pretty important in respect of registrations as she never 'lost' the legal right to be known at all times by her maiden surname. It was more due to social practices that it became more common for a woman to not use her maiden name more frequently in Scotland after marriage. In early censuses you often see married or widowed women listed under their maiden surname.

This is also the reason why, for example, in Scotland, a woman always remarried under her maiden name (rather than married name as they did in England) and also why a woman's maiden name is often seen recorded on gravestone inscriptions and included so prominantly on her death cert (which helps a lot when searching for a death entry on SP).

However, never say never to anything is my rule, as there are always exceptions/errors to just about everything ;D

....But, there are also these entries showing on IGI for a Joseph Jardine and Janet Jardine:

1. Mary JARDINE chr. 16 Dec. 1790 Applegarth
2. Margaret JARDINE chr. 4 Feb. 1798 Applegarth
3. Janet JARDINE chr. 26 Jan. 1801 Applegarth (member submitted, likely in error for 1802 entry below?)
4. Janet JARDINE chr. 26 Jan. 1802 Applegarth
5. Christopher JARDINE chr. 29 Nov. 1807 Applegarth

Some details here on this couple (there are other links) www.family.setait.co.uk/p39.htm

Monica  :)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 April 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica.

It is very interesting information on the surnames, indeed.

It seems it isn't my couple.

That still leaves the mystery James in Canada, listed as the son of Joseph and Janet Kerr, unaccounted for.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar

I would have thought the Janet Jardine who shows on those two OPR entries would have the maiden surname of Jardine. A woman's maiden surname in Scotland was (is!) pretty important in respect of registrations as she never 'lost' the legal right to be known at all times by her maiden surname. It was more due to social practices that it became more common for a woman to not use her maiden name more frequently in Scotland after marriage. In early censuses you often see married or widowed women listed under their maiden surname.

This is also the reason why, for example, in Scotland, a woman always remarried under her maiden name (rather than married name as they did in England) and also why a woman's maiden name is often seen recorded on gravestone inscriptions and included so prominantly on her death cert (which helps a lot when searching for a death entry on SP).

However, never say never to anything is my rule, as there are always exceptions/errors to just about everything ;D

....But, there are also these entries showing on IGI for a Joseph Jardine and Janet Jardine:

1. Mary JARDINE chr. 16 Dec. 1790 Applegarth
2. Margaret JARDINE chr. 4 Feb. 1798 Applegarth
3. Janet JARDINE chr. 26 Jan. 1801 Applegarth (member submitted, likely in error for 1802 entry below?)
4. Janet JARDINE chr. 26 Jan. 1802 Applegarth
5. Christopher JARDINE chr. 29 Nov. 1807 Applegarth

Some details here on this couple (there are other links) www.family.setait.co.uk/p39.htm

Monica  :)

I too have interests in the Jardine family from Applegarth. I am researching David Burns born 1814 Applegarth, father Francis Burns, mother ? Jardine. As David Burns' 1st daughter was Margaret born 1844, 2nd daughter was Mary born 1848, and if they kept to the naming pattern, I was wondering if there was some connection to the details posted. I have searched for a marriage, but without success. Should I start a new thread? Or can someone give me any clues? Many thanks

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 22:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, I would recommend starting a new thread.

Jamjar

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks jamjar