Author Topic: Butterfield - Shipley  (Read 4331 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Butterfield - Shipley
« on: Saturday 14 April 12 17:10 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on where I might find a couple of missing baptisms:

Jonas Butterfield married Ann Shepherd in 1832 at Otley.  Both are buried (with Jonas' parents and one of Jonas' sons) at St Paul, Shipley.

Elizabeth, Emma, William, Richard Shepherd and Joseph are all baptised at St Peter, Bradford within a couple of months of their births - 1834 - 1841.

Ann Maria 1843 and Samuel 1846 (died 1851 and buried St Paul, Shipley) do not appear in the baptism registers available on Ancestry.  Nor can I see them on the Calverley website.

Sarah, born 1849 is baptised at St Peter, Bradford on the same day that Ann Maria gets married (same venue) - 1869.  Sarah is my great grandmother.

Address for the family from 1841 onwards is Shipley.  So where are they baptised?

Any thoughts/help gratefully received.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Butterfield - Shipley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 April 12 20:17 BST (UK) »
Guiseley I thought could have been the venue, but on checking no Butterfields from Shipley mentioned.
(Mention of other locations, Horsforth/Rawdon/Guiseley though)
Have you thought about what churches were open at that time?
Baildon Moravian/Esholt St Paul's/Quakers meetings?
Interested to what you come up with.
FreeBMD reports Samuel baptised Sept 1846 (Bradford), copy is very bad!
Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 12 08:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brian.  I'm pretty sure, from the evidence in my post, that this family were C of E, although I do know that Sarah eventually changed to Methodist after marrying Mark Kendall.  All the children (post Registration) were registered in Bradford, and the family is shown as living at New Laithe, Shipley from 1841 until at least 1871.  Very intriguing, but I'll carry on searching, and I'll let you know the outcome.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know that, as a result of Ancestry putting Non-conformist data on-line, I have found the baptism of Ann Maria Butterfield - 28 April 1844 - only snag is that it doesn't specify the Wesleyan chapel, only the film number BNC9.  Information just says Jonas and Ann Butterfield of Shipley.

Still looking for Samuel, though  ::)
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline chris56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 February 15 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have information about William Butterfield who I believe was the son of Jonas and Ann (a supporting fact is that William's house in Bridlington was called Newlaithe)  I don't know about William himself but I know that William's son James attended the Methodist church in Bridlington.  Happy to share any information.  Chris

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 February 15 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris:  Welcome to Rootschat  :)  I'd love to have information on William and son James.  I've got the census entries for William, but admit that I haven't looked for James.  Perhaps I've got information on Jonas etc. that you might like.  Look forward to hearing more from you.

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline chris56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 February 15 10:09 GMT (UK) »
William married Mary Foster in 1872 in Bridlington.  Don't know how they met.  Had found William in a school, was he a teacher?  Anyway Mary's family had been boot and shoe dealers. William was a boot and shoe dealer in Driffield.  I wonder if rather than the couple meeting through the business it was a case of Mary's family helped William set up in business but not too close to them!  William and Mary had six children, two boys died in infancy (I think from the fact that the deaths are the same quarters as the births and I cannot find grave inscriptions they died in early infancy)  a son James died at 19 as the result of an accident in the shop where he was a chemist's apprentice, a son William, who as far as I can see did not marry or have children, two daughters Jane who married Charles Herbert Temple and Jessie who married Percy Shaw.  William and Mary retired to Bridlington and lived in the house which was called Newlaithe. This makes me think I am on the right track with William being Jonas's son.  This is all out of my head, I have various extracts which I can look out. My interest is that the chemist where poor young James was an apprentice was my husband's gt grandfather;  sister in law came across the newspaper report of the inquest.  I got interested and started looking ... and of course it gets rather addictive.  I am off now to take some pictures of where the Foster family lived in Bridlington.  Will get back to you.  by the way I have only just found Rootsweb and haven't found the transcription of Jonas's grave inscription.  Is it there somewhere?  Chris

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 February 15 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information.  I have a photograph of Jonas' headstone, and that of his father, Richard.  When you have made one more post, 3 in total, I can send you a private message with my e-mail address, and in that way I can let you have the photographs, and my known details of Jonas' family - his youngest daughter, Sarah, married my great grandfather Mark Kendall, whilst the eldest sister, Elizabeth lived with Mark and Sarah for many years following the death of their mother.

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline chris56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 February 15 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Would be very glad to see the pictures of Jonas and Richard's graves.  Names very interesting, looks like the children of William and Mary were given names from the Foster family rather than the Buttefields - they had 6 children, 4 sons and none were called Richard or Jonas.  Maybe a fall out?  Would you like picture of the family grave from Bridlington; the newspaper report of the inquest on James, the report on the funeral of William?  Chris