Author Topic: Birth records for Edinburg  (Read 10040 times)

Online GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth records for Edinburg
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 April 12 08:49 BST (UK) »
If he did go out as a soldier and desert, there is always the possibility that there might be something about William lurking in the military records in London.

Offline carolh7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 April 12 01:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks, GR2, that's a good suggestion and I'll follow-up on it. He was with the 71st Reg. of Foot, I believe it's called and there is info. online about it. Don't know if it would include info. on those who deserted, but I'll look. I had never really thought of him as a deserter, but I guess he was if the war was still going on when he was released after being captured.

Offline Ed Brumby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Carol
I have writtena book on the 71st Fraser Regt and am working with someone else to sort out the story of William and Phillip McKenzie. I have many original miltary documents. Please contact me
Ed Brumby

Offline Ed Brumby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi
i posted before but as a newcomer, don't see it. I have written a book on the 71st Fraser Regt., some of them captured at Boston. I am following up on Phillip and William McKenzie with an other lady.
Please contact me or reply to this
Ed

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ed

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Carolh7 has not been online here on RootsChat since April last year. She should hopefully receive an email notification of new posts on her threads. However, people sometimes can change email providers etc and this can be a problem over time. Hopefully she will be back online soon.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ed Brumby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Monica
That was kind of you. I see both my replies now. I really would like to contact her. I am very interested in her post, and unfortunately she doesn't give the date of that talk in Topsfield on the William and Phillip McKenzie privates that appear to have been in the 71st Fraser Regt. I hope she hasn't changed her email address
Ed

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Birth records for Edinburgh
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Do you think familysearch has all the records that are on the Scotland's people website?

No, it doesn't.

FamilySearch is only an index; it does not contain any original records of births/baptisms, banns/marriages or deaths/burials in Scotland, and the original records on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk often contain additional information.

FamilySearch is a fantastic finding aid, but it is no substitute for looking at the original sources.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline carolh7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 February 13 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ed,

Thank you for your reply to my posting. That's wonderful to hear you have written a book on the 71st and that you know about and are researching William and Philip McKenzie. I'm very interested in discussing the McKenzies with you and will gladly share anything I have.

Thank you, Forfarian, for your information also.

Carol Harrison

Offline MLMC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 June 15 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ed,
Thanks to the Topsfield Historical Society, I am in possession of several records relevant to Philip/Enoch and his brother William/Alexander, and then just this morning found these posts from you and Carol. I would love to work with you! Please contact me.
Megan
PS Philip is my 6x great grandfather