Author Topic: Ethel May Parry  (Read 10715 times)

Offline CSWHITEHAN1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ethel May Parry
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 13 September 15 04:56 BST (UK) »
Haven't had an opportunity to look for the MC for George & Jessie yet.  My FH program "source" has
"30 October 1882" "Presbyterian Church, Camperdown" and references the MC, so I must have it somewhere (pre-scanner).  Court records (see below) have his birth year as 1858, as has Family Bible.
The portrait that appears online on someone's website is from me.
George paid rates in Camperdown untill 1897/1898, served prison sentence in Geelong:
"GEORGE READ - Prisoner No. 27827.
Arrested;       2.3.1897.   (Tried at Geelong Court).
Born;         1858, Victoria.
Height;      6 ft.   - Brown Hair - Hazel eyes.
Trade;      Labourer.
Marital Status;   Married.       
Religion;      Presbyterian.
Peculiar Marks;   Scar on chin, pimple on top of right eyebrow, scar on right arm.
First Tried;      Camperdown Petty Sessions.
Charged with;   Disobeying an order of the court to pay £9 weekly for maintenance of his children and fined one surety of £15 to comply with such order.
Prisoner Discharged;    2nd August, 1897 by order of his Excellency the Governor on the cognisance entered into.
Papers:   97/ 9.8080."
George effectively disappeared upon release.

No definitive evidence that 1898 death in Melbourne was him, but the approx' age fits.  The only other death of his namesake that I have found was an NZ death during 1918, birth date for that chap  was 1863.

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic.) Thursday 31 March 1898;
INTESTATE ESTATES.         
The curator of the estates of deceased persons has applied for rules to administer the estates of the following deceased per sons, under Act No. 1060 - ;
George Read, No. 341 King Street Melbourne died 22nd March, 1898, £168 (equivalent of about $8,000 today(AU)). Possibly "our" George.  No way to prove though.
DC has him as "Night Porter" "10 years in Victoria" (so that throws us off, but "nothing known" of parents).
George Read was a child of Thomas Read ("Machine Breaker" convict life to Tassy) and Elizabeth Ann Boyle) m. Mt Duneed 1842.
Sorry baby-sitting Grandkids today and "time-out" has ended.

Clarke.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 13 September 15 05:56 BST (UK) »
Clarke when people request or post information about their ancestors I always check the information especially if it involves 'family stories' eg you mentioned that Thomas took over the bakery when in fact it was sold 'by the executors' before the estate was wound up.

I linked Agnes's obituary as there had been an earlier attempt to edit it and the person had made an absolute mess of it. I transcribed it correctly not only for you but other researchers who may have a problem reading the very feint print.

I attached the snip from the 1904 Divorce Causes Book as your posted the date of the divorce 1903.

Authorised/Authorising Agent is the funeral director.  If George READ's landlord had given the information about George READ's death his signature and occupation would be on the death certificate as the Informant.

The digitised probate file of a George ROBERTSON, Baker of Camperdown who died in 1911 is available on PROV.  George had an overdraft when he died the plus many other debts and his estate value was £3,232  According to the codicil dated 20 Mar 1911 his poor wife had to rely on her three sons giving her 10/- each per week ::).  I wonder how that would have been enforceable at law after the estate had been wound up?  Not relevant really as she obviously pre-deceased him in 1911.  Interesting that his sister in law Hannah [not Agnes as you stated- Agnes ORMISTON was George's wife] PULLEN at Warracknabeal claimed board from the Estate for George lodging with her however her obituary stated she came to Warracknabeal to live with W. ROBERSTON.

The Warracknabeal Herald 13 Oct 1916
OBITUARY
MRS. HANNAH PULLEN,
The death occurred at "Ormiston," Warracknabeal, on Tuesday morning of Mrs. Hannah Pullen, relict of the late Mr. James Pullen, of "Cragie Cottage," Moolap (Geelong), and aunt of Mr. W. Robertson, of this town. Deceased, who attained the advanced age of 77 years, succumbed after about a fortnight's illness. Mrs. Pullen came to Warracknabeal about seven years ago, and lived with Mr. Robertson up to the time of her death. She was a colonist of 63 years, and was highly esteemed by those who knew her being of kindly, thoughtful, and benevolent disposition. Deceased was an active member of the Presbyterian Women's Missionary Union, taking the keenest interest in its affairs. She was also a most energetic worker for the Red Cross Society, and spent the greater part of her time knitting socks for soldiers up till a few weeks ago. The funeral took place on Wednesday afternoon. Mr. S. Clarke conducted the service at the grave. The coffin bearers were Messrs. L. McLean, E. W. Hudgson, W. Lemon, D. McDonald, S. Richardson, and McBeth, while the pall-bearers were Messrs. Wright Smith, Geo. Devereux, A. Sutclitfe, V. Bussau, J. J. Marchant, R. Lemon, K. Robertson, and Geo. Moulden. Mr. T. E. Gardiner was the undertaker.

You mention descendants of Wm and George. You stated that Wm was not married.  I have already suggested you purchase Emily May's death certificate as the information is more liable to be accurate as to whether there was issue from the marriage with Thomas.

George READ's estate consisted of a silver watch, box, leather trunk, portmanteau containing clothing £7.10.0 and money in the Melbourne Savings Bank £155.10.0. 

I will mention that because an estate had a certain monetary value in a certain year doesn't mean it would be worth the equivalent of today's dollar value.   For example personal effects eg furniture, buggies, real estate especially in rural townships, investments, businesses etc etc.

What is the address of "Ormiston" in Warracknabeal as I have a copy of the thermatic study for the Yarriambiack Shire and it isn't mentioned by name.  It is possible it is mentioned in the heritage overlay only which doesn't mean it is actually a heritage listed house but a property of interest.

These are the listings for Warracknabeal from the Heritage Council Victoria - Victorian Heritage Database.  I live in NW Victoria and one of my other passions is local history  ;)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01g3x/

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 13 September 15 06:12 BST (UK) »
Apologies Sue...I missed your posts.

Cando

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 13 September 15 06:49 BST (UK) »
At least two of Jessie READ's sons enlisted.

http://www.naa.gov.au/

Edgar Robertson READ whose birth at Allansford I have not yet found, was killed in action in 1917.
His mother was Next of Kin on his digitised service history.

The file contains letters  from Jessie in response to the DD who are seeking to place his medals with the correct relative.

She says she knows nothing about him as she has not seen him for 20 years.

Another son Thomas Chester required permission of a parent to enlist and this is provided in writing by Jessie who says his father is deceased.

Here is an article extolling the wonderful sacrifice made by the READ family through the patriotic service of their sons

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/65019247

Here is a photo of Edgar.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P03579.001

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 13 September 15 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando,
 Conjecture about the birth date of George Read, no registration found, Family Bible has born June 1858! but obituary for his Mother has his age (& from that, estimated birth year 1864). Clarke.

I have not seen this obituary.
Elizabeth READ left a will which is digitised. It was made in 1899.
She bequeaths to her sons and daughters in varying amounts.

"My son GEORGE READ" is left 100 pounds.

There is a codicil to the will made in 1907.  It relates to the executing of the will.  If George READ were deceased, it may have been an opportunity to delete his name from the original will .
BUT was he? Perhaps not.

Sue

Offline CSWHITEHAN1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 September 15 09:58 BST (UK) »

Hi Sue (Cando - no disrespect, will deal with your contribution when time permits as I have to do a bit of searching for saved info' first)

Both Edgar & Chester went to WW1; Edgar killed (sacrificed) at 1st Battle of Bullecourt - Have had his Service record for many years. Photograph submitted to AWM by me.  Jessie was deserted by George Read hence "20 year" reference as her letters were after Edgar died.

Chester was a sniper, later stages of war received 7 machine gun bullets to left side, on "painkillers" (morphine & and he used early version of a water bed) in later years of his life.

My last search of Trove on this line was many years ago; the article on the Read Family had not appeared at that time - THANK YOU VERY MUCH for that.

Regards,

Clarke.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 13 September 15 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Clarke,
Life is busy, indeed, for many of us including those helping your search.
If you do not have time just now to reply informatively, or to quote your files of research, then why not wait until you do have the time.

It may turn out a better result for you if all exchanges are fully read and explored (including links given to you). 

For instance there is no need to repeat what is contained in the  WW1 files of the two sons of Jessie READ, I have just finished reading them. ;D

http://www.naa.gov.au/

Read the will of mother Elizabeth READ on this link ( as given previously)
http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=54

Sue

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 13 September 15 13:31 BST (UK) »
An online tree has George READ born Geelong on 26 Jun 1858 to Thomas READ  1815-1868 and Elizabeth Ann BOYLE 1818-1912 .  The compiler has suggested that George died in 1928 at Sutherland in NSW.

4269/1928     
READ    George
Father Thomas  Mother Jessie
District Sutherland

You would need to purchase a transcription of this certificate to find if there is any other identifying information.

Cando

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 13 September 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
There seems to be only one George READ dying in NSW in 1928 and that is as given by Cando above.

However, the Ryerson Index has this death notice with the information he was 38 years old.

Death notice
READ George
02JAN1928
Aged 38
At Heathcote
Published in  Sydney Morning Herald
Date 4 JAN 1928

Sue

Adding a thought here.
It is noteworthy that the money bequeathed to "my son George"  was the largest monetory portion allocated to any of Elizabeth's children. (Property aside)