Author Topic: Marriage Allendale Nevin and Robson  (Read 4513 times)

Offline gsbm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marriage Allendale Nevin and Robson
« on: Sunday 15 April 12 05:57 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the marriages for Allendale. Matthew Ridley Nevin married Mary Robson  22 Nov 1845. I am searching for the father of Mary who is possibly  Robert Robson.
Any help at all would be appreciated. I understand that I could order the certificate but the request is not for me but an elderly lady who i am helping so I thought that I would ask the question first.
Thank you
Sandy
Australia

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Allendale Nevin and Robson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 April 12 11:51 BST (UK) »
Details taken from the marriage certificate.

22 November 1845 at the parish church Allendale.

Matthew Ridley Nevin, farmer, married Mary Robson. Both of full age. He resided at Parkside (the family farm) and she at Keenleywell House. His father is John Nevin*, Brewer (who was actually deceased although it does not say so on the certificate) and hers is John Robson, miner.

He signs, she puts her mark.

* John appears variously in documents as brewer, brewers agent, farmer and gentleman.

Not sure where you got Robert Robson from but this Mary's father is definitely John - I do have a note somewhere of her baptism and her mother but can not locate it at present. Robson is a very common name in the area and easy to get them mixed up (If you have taken the name of Mary's father as Robert from the tree on Ancestry\Mundia there are several mistakes on that tree and I would be wary of taking anything from that tree without verifying it fully)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline gsbm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 12 00:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate that you have shared this information with me as it is obviouly from you own tree. I did get the Robert from Ancestry but I also have a policy not to enter anyone into a tree if I have not verified the information and I am at a loss to know why people do this. Again thank you for your wonderful help
Regards
Sandy
Australia

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 12 15:35 BST (UK) »
Just noticed this posting, could you provide a bit more info if possible about John Nevin mentioned above

Thanks

Tkgafs

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 April 12 16:37 BST (UK) »
Re John Nevin

What would you like to know ?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 April 12 19:41 BST (UK) »
I am trying to link together the following, although all this is about 100 years earlier

Hannah Dixon 1765 - 1824 wife of Thomas Errington 1772 - 1840 of Glenwhelt Haltwhistle

I think Edward Dixon and Hannah Nevin are her parents and I think a John Nevin 1703 - 1759 was her father and a Mary Keenleyside  abt 1699 - 1770 was her mother.

The co-incidence of the name and the placename just seemed too much to ignore

So anything about John Nevin and the place Keenleywell House would be of interest, as I know nothing at all about these families other than the basic names, I have to admit the thought that there might be a brewer in the tree some where, distant though it may be certainly sparked my intrest.

best wishes

Tkgafs

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Tkgafs

I have sent you a PM.

Offline gsbm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hello davft
I am sorry to bother you but regarding Mary Robson who married Matthew Ridley Nevin which you very kindly gave me the marriage details, can you tell me if Mary's parents were John Robson and Hannah Dixon, I am having trouble pinning her down, thank you
Sandy

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy,

Yes they are the correct parents.

I have sent you a PM

David