Author Topic: Godley  (Read 4485 times)

Offline spower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Godley
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicki

I've gathered quite a lot of books on local history so I may have it. There's also a very good selection in the local family history centre in Falmer. Portslade is another important place for this line of the Godley family, Richards grandfather, William, was a parish clerk in Portslade and his grandmother was the local school teacher. They share a very nice gravestone in a prominent position outside the front door of the church and it's worth a look.

It's a mystery (to me anyway) why their son George moved to Clayton and started running an old coaching Inn. From there the family literally exploded into the business of running public houses and were in charge of a considerable number across Sussex, especially in Brighton. I'm hoping one day to find out what started that off.

There are also quite a lot of articles that make mention of the Godley family in the local newspapers. I have got transcriptions for those that I have found. When I work out what I've done with the memory card that I save my work on (in a safe place, somewhere!) I will attach a copy.

I've also sent you an e-mail.

Sean
Godley, Farncombe, Older, Hunt, Meads, Barber, Winter, Morley, Carter, Westgate, Bates, Pickett