Author Topic: Rev. John Kirk 1795 - 1858  (Read 9458 times)

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. John Kirk 1795 - 1858
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 April 12 21:25 BST (UK) »
Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae entry for Rev John Kirk might be of interest, see page 423
http://www.archive.org/stream/fastiecclesiu05scotuoft#page/n433/mode/2up

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 April 12 22:02 BST (UK) »
Depending on how lucky you get with records on SP, these records could be worth looking into ...

http://www.fifefhs.org/Records/Deeds/standrews.htm

TODDIE, JAMES: late mason and one of the Bailies in St Andrews, & Isabelle Watt, his spouse; Mutual Disp & Deed of Settlement; [their only surv dau was Isabell Toddie, spouse of John Davidson, Officer of Customs in St Andrews; dec dau was Mgt Toddie, m to John Kirk, with children, John, Elizabeth & Betty Kirk]; 18 Oct 1820 [B65/7/1 fol 281-86; B65/22/35]

MOTION, JAMES: with John Kirk, Henry Berwick, and John Niven, all bakers in St Andrews, 12-yr Tack of Flour Mill and mill lands belonging to sd city form Magistrates of St Andrews; 1 Sep 1795 [B65/5/8 fol 24-27]

Offline crisssyk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 April 12 23:18 BST (UK) »
This is all great information for me to thoroughly investigate!!  Thank you!

I can see that the James dates don't line up, but perhaps John Kirk, the baker,  had a brother, James. I estimate that John Kirk was probably born about 1757 (since he married in 1787).   I estimate my James Kirk's father should have been born about 1760-- close enough age for brothers.    Just a thought.

I re-read the information passed on through old letters that I have and it clearly states my great grandfather Dr. William Kirk said, "that his uncle had fun with David Livingston on his first expedition up the Zambian River."  In another old newspaper article in which he was interviewed, Dr. Kirk stated he has the surgical instruments of an Irish Ancestor who who was a surgeon at the Battle of Waterloo and had a relative that was on the first English boat to sail up the Congo River in Africa. 

So I am convinced there must be a connection to Sir John Kirk's family--and am determined to find it!! :)

Also, interesting to note, John Kirk b. apx. 1757 (married to Margaret Toddie) named their children John, Alexander, Elizabeth, James and Isebela.

Their son, Reec (Rev) John Kirk b. 1795 (married to Christian Guthrie Carnegie) also named their children, John, Alexander, Elizabeth and James--guess they didn't have the 5th child to name after Isebela.  Was this a common thing to do back then?

My search is now finding the parents/brothers of John Kirk, the baker--b. apx. 1757,  married to Margaret Toddie.   Thanks for any help. 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 April 12 23:27 BST (UK) »
Chris, on the issue of names and those used for children. Not sure if you have come across Scottish naming pattern (also used by the Irish). There are many links on this, I like this one www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm

Bear in mind the 'health warnings'! Not always used or in the same order...but never ceases to amaze me how often it was used.

Surnames for middle names were often also used. Again, something to look out for.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Douglas Norrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 December 13 15:45 GMT (UK) »
The Rev. John Kirk was minister here at Arbirlot Church near Arbroath, Angus, Scotland. He is buried round the back next to the Church wall. He was previously minister at Barry where his eldest sons were born. He is noted for being the minister who 'led the congregation out' at the time of the 1843 disruption and was therefore also the first 'free church minister here. His son, later Sir John Kirk was surgeon and scientist to David Livingston and was a remarkable photographer, said to be the first man to use a camera on the continent of Africa. He was later British resident at Zanzibar and became an anti-slavery campaigner. Many of his photos are in the National Library of Scotland and books have been written on him.
Another son, Alexander Kirk was almost as well known in his day as a noted marine engineer. He invented a gizmo for the triple expansion steam engine which made it much more efficient and also a system for cooling paraffin( the oil industry began in Scotland extracting oil from shale) which led to oil tankers and refrigerated ships.

Offline dream_angel720

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 July 17 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm doing a research on Rev John Kirk's children and the like. Drop me a line if you are interested.

Offline Douglas Norrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 July 17 11:52 BST (UK) »
I have done a bit of research as I am collecting information for a parish History that I will write in the fullness of time!!!. I only really know about the Rev John Kirk and his sons Sir John and Alexander though.
Did you know that the Rev John Kirk wrote a biography of Susannah Wesley. A slightly odd thing for a Church of Scotland Minister to write I would have thought! He led the Arbirlot congregation ''out'' at the Disruption of 1843.

Co-operation would be welcome. Get in touch!
D

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 July 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
I can't help with Rev Kirk, but his predecessor was my 2nd cousin 5 times removed.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dream_angel720

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 July 17 15:50 BST (UK) »
I have done a bit of research as I am collecting information for a parish History that I will write in the fullness of time!!!. I only really know about the Rev John Kirk and his sons Sir John and Alexander though.
Did you know that the Rev John Kirk wrote a biography of Susannah Wesley. A slightly odd thing for a Church of Scotland Minister to write I would have thought! He led the Arbirlot congregation ''out'' at the Disruption of 1843.

Co-operation would be welcome. Get in touch!
D

Thank you for replying! I hadn't known that he wrote a biography of Susannah Wesley. Will check it out :)

Rev John also had another son James who was the youngest among brothers and he died in the Cape Colony at the age of 58. A daughter Elizabeth Jane married writer James Rose Black, but no luck finding further clues.