Author Topic: Rev. John Kirk 1795 - 1858  (Read 9455 times)

Offline crisssyk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rev. John Kirk 1795 - 1858
« on: Sunday 15 April 12 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi.  Found this forum while searching my Kirk family tree.   I'm looking for information on the genealogy of Rees John Kirk 1795 - 1858.  (married to Christian Guthrie Carnegie) I noticed Sancti posted information about his family.  My great grandfather, Dr. William Haley Kirk,  said his cousin sailed with David Livingston on his first expedition up the Zambian River.  This was Sir John Kirk.  But I am having difficulty finding the root connection.  Is there anyone on this forum that might have done a family tree for this Kirk family?  I know that Rees (Rev) John Kirk fathers' name was John Kirk and a baker.  But that is all that I am able to find.  I am guessing that this John Kirk, the baker,  had another son, that would possibly be my great, great, great grandfather.  Any help would be appreciated :D (apologies for not posting the attached quote from Sancti correctly...not quite sure how this works just yet, but the information is next to this message)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. John Kirk 1795 - 1858
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 April 12 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi crisssyk

I have split your new post from here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,555932.0.html

This is I think the census entry from Sancti that you mention:

Interesting record for 1841 census

Rees John Kirk 40
Christian Kirk 35
Alexander Kirk 10
John Kirk 8
Elizabeth Kirk 6
James Kirk 3
Catherine Carnegie 35 born Scotland Occupation: Ind
William Allan 25 born Angus Occupation: Tutor In Family
Helen Clark 25
Jessie Clark 20
Margt Lawrence 15
Andro Gloak 12

Address: Manse Of Arbirlot Arbirlot Angus

Once we know what particular county of Scotland the family is from we can move on to there.

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 April 12 14:21 BST (UK) »
Just some dates to help with the searches for Dr (then Sir) John Kirk:

Sir John Kirk (1832-1922). Kirk was appointed to the role of physician for David Livingston’s second Zambesi Expedition and eventually accompanied Livingston on most of his travels in Africa....
http://aluka2.wordpress.com/category/archives-preservation-and-higher-education/page/4/

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 April 12 14:34 BST (UK) »
Some further details on Sir John Kirk which may help you identify his line:

He looks to have been born on 19 December 1832 at Barry, Forfarshire, son of John Kirk  who died in 1858), minister of Barry, and his wife, Christian Guthrie, née Carnegie - her date is given in 1865.  His eldest brother was the engineer Alexander Carnegie Kirk.

Chrissyk, to connect to this Kirk line, you could check the parents showing on the death certificate for John Kirk who died in 1858. If this is the John Kirk, baker, that you have found, you should also be able to confirm his wife's name to help you with your searches.

What were the parents' names of your Dr. William Haley Kirk and what dates do you have?

Monica

Offline crisssyk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rees John Kirk 1795 - 1858
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 April 12 14:43 BST (UK) »
Monica, thank your for formatting this properly  :D  I hope I learn to post correctly, soon!

Information about:  Reec (Rev) John Kirk  (b. 1795 @ St Andrew's  d. 1858)   Church of Scotland Minister of Arbirlot 1837-43, Free Church of Scotland Minister of Arbirlot      M. 10 Dec 1828 Christian Guthrie Carnegie (b. 10 Jan 1803 d. 22 June 1865)  Hi, s father was John Kirk, a baker.  They were from the Arbirlot, Angus, Scotland area.

Offline crisssyk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 April 12 14:54 BST (UK) »
James Kirk (b. 1782-1861)  m.  Jane McConnell 1786-1865
 ~ Rev. James Kirk  (1822-1895 )  m. Abbie Anna Morrill (1835-1913)
     ~ William Haley Kirk  (b. 1874-1945)  m. Lucy Fleming

Looking for the connection for James Kirk to Sir John Kirk as they are to be cousins.

Offline crisssyk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 April 12 15:13 BST (UK) »
Monica,  Thank you again for all the "tips" you have given me.  I have been searching for YEARS to find the roots of my Kirk family, and hopefully, one day, I will find the link between Sir John and my great, great great grandfather.  You mentioned finding and checking the death certificate of his father, Reec (Rev) John Kirk--which would show his parents names....but how would I find this?  Is this something of easy access to obtain?  Thank you again...Chris  (sorry for so many questions...but I have found that when I ask a lot of them, I glean so much information!!  :D

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 April 12 20:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry Chrissy for disappearing early - sometimes real life takes over, booo!

You have the main details on Rev. John Kirk, wife, marriage, children show as:

1. Alexander CARNEGIE KIRK b. 16 July 1830/ chr. 1 Aug. 1830 Barry
2. John KIRK b. 9 Dec. 1832/ chr. 6 Jan. 1833 Barry
3. Elizabeth Jane KIRK b. 29 Sept. 1834/ chr. 19 Oct. 1834 Barry
4. James KIRK b. 8 April 1838/ chr. 20 May 1838 Arbirlot

Don't think they had more children than these as (Sir) John Kirk is quoted as being one of three boys and one sister in bios of his life. Further details also here http://histfam.familysearch.org/getperson.php?personID=I497&tree=Fasti

To confirm Rev. John Kirk's parents, including mother's name the only source is the pay to view site, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  Have you used this before? It is the main source for original BMD and parish register entries, including original census images. Costs are reasonable.

Not sure how much detailed Scottish research you may have done and therefore how familiar you may be with resources. If you can give us some indication, we can advice better  :)

Regarding your direct line:

James Kirk (b. 1782-1861)  m.  Jane McConnell 1786-1865
 ~ Rev. James Kirk  (1822-1895 )  m. Abbie Anna Morrill (1835-1913)
     ~ William Haley Kirk  (b. 1874-1945)  m. Lucy Fleming

Have you been able to trace James b. 1782 further to confirm his parents? Did he die in Scotland (with all the big benefits of great info from Scottish death certs!)?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 April 12 21:15 BST (UK) »
Possible birth details for Rev. John Kirk from what you have:

John KIRK b. 2 Dec. 1795/ chr. 6 Dec. 1795 in St. Andrews And St. Leonards, Fife,
Parents John KIRK and Margaret TODDIE

Their marriage/banns shows on 17 Nov. 1787 in St. Andrews And St. Leonards.

This takes you out of the birth year we had for your James Kirk of 1782 I would say....

Other children (all at St. Andrews And St. Leonards, Fife) showing to John Kirk and Margaret Toddie include:

1. Elizabeth 1792
2. Alexander 1794
3. Isabel 1797
4. Isabel 1799, twin to James
5. James 1799

I am making guesses here on the info we have so far for Rev John Kirk. His death cert will help in confirming parents' names.

Monica