Author Topic: 1861 census: "missing" parish?  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1861 census: "missing" parish?
« on: Wednesday 18 May 05 14:37 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find a family in Llansaintffraid Glan Conway in 1861, but the village is apparently missing from Ancestry's index.  Was it part of a different civil parish in 1861?  Or does anyone have access to a different index for this census?  I'm looking for William Hughes, shoemaker, b. Llansaintffraid Glan Conway c1813, and listed there 1871-1891.

MR
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census: "missing" parish?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi there, it is on Ancestry, but the only way I could access it was through Google, link below

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=+Llansaintffraid+Glan+Conway+&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

all the best
Jan
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 17:48 BST (UK) »
Jan - I tried your link, but still can't find 1861.  What am I doing wrong???

MR
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 05 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

1861 is not as yet complete. It looks as if Llansanffraid isn't on there yet.

You do also have to watch out for the spelling, there's no "t" and no "i" in san ffraid.

Its one I'm waiting for as well.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 May 05 12:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I will wait, in that case!  I found the village spelt every which way, but took the spelling that brought up most hits on Google - guess it's English versus Welsh?

MR

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 May 05 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi again MR,

You will have hits on google using all spellings, as there are several towns/villages with the same - translated it means Church/Parish of St. Bridgit.

But the Glan Conwy one (meaning "bank of the river Conwy") is spelt that way. Don't think its really English vs Welsh, more indifference on all parts and the general decline in standards, but thats another subject.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II