Author Topic: Hannah Dixon Hewitson  (Read 2912 times)

Offline Boab3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Dixon Hewitson
« on: Sunday 15 April 12 17:18 BST (UK) »
Could anyone help me find the death of Hannah Dixon Hewitson? I have tried every possible variation on Scotland's People but nothing is coming up. She was born Hannah Dixon abt 1855 Lamplugh, Cumberland. She married Thomas Hewitson Railway Platelayer on 5/9/1875 at Arlecdon, Cumberland. In 1881 they resided in Arlecdon, Cumberland.
                         1891 they resided in 2 Templeton Place, Auchinleck. Ayrshire.
                         1901 they resided at Burnside Street, Glengarnock, Dalry, Ayrshire (where their son William still was in 1924).
Hannah had her 5th child named Hannah Hewitson b17 June 1893 Connel Park, New Cumnock, Ayrshire.
On her son John Robert's marriage certificate to Agnes Porteous 1st January 1902 Hannah was stated as deceased.

She must have died therefore between 17 June 1893 and 1st January 1902 but I can't find her death. As a matter of fact I can't find Thomas's either! Could anyone help me please?
Boab3

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Dixon Hewitson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 April 12 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

If Hannah is on the 1901 Census and the sons marriage certificate is correct then she must have died in 1901  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 April 12 19:07 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look at the 1911 Census ?
There is a Thomas and Hannah Hewitson both age 56 in Dalry Ayr
Just looking at the index

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Boab3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 12 16:57 BST (UK) »
Thank Ev

Brought up the 1911 census as suggested and that is the family and Hannah is still alive. Strange how she's deceased on son's marriage cert in 31/12/1901. An error obviously. Still can't find their deaths!

Boab3

Offline Boab3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 22:01 BST (UK) »
Mystery solved - Thomas and Hannah emigrated to Canada in June 1913.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 23:49 BST (UK) »

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, found these....

1921 Canada census:
906 Clarke, St Lawrence Ward, Montreal

Thomas Huartson (Hewitson)   age:66  born: 1855 England
   married   occupation: gardener    immigrated:1913
   father & mother both born in England
Hanna Huartson (Hewitson)   age:67   born: 1854 England
   married   immigrated:1913
   father & mother both born in England

Death:

Thomas Hewitson of Montreal in the province of Quebec died on 30th day of March in year of our lord 1926 and taken to the Mount Royal cemetery Hawthorndale for burial at a later date on 1st April 1926.

I could not find the death of Hannah (Dixon) Hewitson. It may be an idea to e-mail the Mount Royal Cemetery as they may have more information. Also, just wanted to mention that although Hannah is listed as deceased on her son's marriage cert, besides an error, there also could be a possibility of bad blood in the family. I had the same issue when researching my family-a relation was listed as deceased on wife's death cert and I spent years looking for his elusive death cert only to discover many years later he didn't die for another 12 years after his wife. So it could be that kind of issue as well. Hope this helps, Kim

Offline Boab3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 October 15 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thankyou blemdookie. I did manage to find them on the 1921 Census. Interestingly their daughter Sarah Elizabeth Hewitson Orr and her husband and family are also on the same census page. Their other daughter Hannah Hewitson Geddes also emigrated as did their son Isaac Dixon (to Nova Scotia). This left sons John Robert Hewitson and William James Hewitson in Scotland. I think I'll do as you suggest and e-mail Mount Royal Cemetery.

And thankyou Br1gau - yes, that's my family.