Author Topic: JOHN ARNOLD  (Read 16630 times)

Offline BillyArnold

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN ARNOLD
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 March 13 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. My Nan, Annie Pickett is an ancestor of John Picot of Jersey. You cannot go further back due to the handed down belief that our ancestors were from Lyon France.

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi'Have you tried looking at Ireland as there are references to Pickett there also if it's any help to you.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline Tanya_Arnold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 May 13 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there. My Nan, Annie Pickett is an ancestor of John Picot of Jersey. You cannot go further back due to the handed down belief that our ancestors were from Lyon France.

Hey, Annie Pickett is my great grandmother. I'm the granddaughter of Annie's son Thomas George Arnold. I don't know much about this side of the family as I never got to meet my granddad as he died young. I only know what I have found online :)
Branch - Cambridgeshire/Norfolk
Parker - Cambridgeshire/Suffolk
Honeyball - Suffolk
Thorn/Thorne - Southampton/London
Thomas - Southampton/London
Bagg - Southampton/London
Pearce - Hampshire
Ford - Southampton
Arnold - Essex/Kent/Cambridgeshire
Chignell - Essex/London
Pickett/Picot - Kent/Essex/Jersey
Smith - Essex/London/Kent/Suffolk/Cambridge
Harris - Essex/London/Kent/Sussex
Buckley - Essex/London/Kent
Loveridge - Essex/London/Kent
Taylor - Essex

Offline riley64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 June 13 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to this site and am also looking for John Arnold and descendants.  Is it true that John's wife Mercy died in the county lunatic asylum in Barming, Maidstone? 

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
JOHN ARNOLD & Mercy Huckstep
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 December 13 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I can confirm that Mercy Arnold died 26 Jan 1890 at the County Asylum, Maidstone, Kent from "degeneration of the heart after several years". Age 74. Informant D. Johnston Jones M.D acting Superintendant for the Asylum. Mercy was my 4 x Great Grandmother.
Her Husband John Arnold died 27 Aug 1884 at 3 Cage Lane, Chatham, Kent from "Brain Softening"  age 73. Informant Granddaughter M. Pickett (Eastwood) same abode.
John was a Town Carter-does anyone know exactly what type of work this entailed and what sort of company he would have worked for please?
Jordan. Bartlett. Arnold. Beaney. Pickett. Brazil.  Huckstep. Eastwood. Potter. Dighton. French----Kent. Bucks. Essex. Sussex. London.  Kirby. Martin----Ireland.
Brewin. Gregory. Dixon. Merchant. Welsh. Leicestershire. Lincolnshire.

Offline riley64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sa11525,

For some reason it won't let me send a personal message to you.  Anyway, I am still looking for the families of John and Mercy Arnold, I would like to find their parents, especially John's as he is in my line.  One person I am also trying to find out more about is their grandson Edwin Arnold born 1871 at Chatham and his wife Elizabeth (possibly Merchant or Merchant Barnes).  I have not found a death for Edwin yet.  Elizabeth had about 13 children with different fathers as well as Edwin and did not marry them all.  A lot of the children she put into care and they ended up in Canada. It is all very confusing.
Any help or info that we can swap would be great.
Regards
 :)

Online waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 December 13 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tanya

My great-grandmother was Elizabeth (Betsy) Arnold who married William Ackleton.  I have also been trying to find out more about this side of the family - do you have any family photos of the Arnold family from around that time as I would love to see these.

Kind regards and Happy Christmas

Waynus  :)

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 December 13 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi waynus james.

We have a family connection with Elizabeth Eastwood having married William Henry Ackleton. Elizabeth aka Betsy was the Daughter of Frances Eastwood but raised by Alfred Arnold. How far back are you with Alfred`s line? I am currently in the midst of writing up Frances Eastwood and Alfred`s stories/family lines and always eager to learn more.

Jordan. Bartlett. Arnold. Beaney. Pickett. Brazil.  Huckstep. Eastwood. Potter. Dighton. French----Kent. Bucks. Essex. Sussex. London.  Kirby. Martin----Ireland.
Brewin. Gregory. Dixon. Merchant. Welsh. Leicestershire. Lincolnshire.

Online waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 December 13 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sal

Thanks for this - we have only just started researching this side of the family (more the Ackleton line rather than the Arnold line) and you have now really confused us!!  Can you let me know the family connection with Frances Eastwood - was she married to Alfred Arnold?? We have Betsy's parents as John and Mercy Arnold - Alfred was her much older brother (twin to John) - did he raise her instead of her parents? In 1881 Betsy has her brother Elijah and sisters Polly and Esther living with her - was she raising these instead of her parents (see above that Mercy died in an asylum) - do you have any information about this.  Off on holiday for a couple of weeks but when we are back will start looking on the census for some answers.
Please keep in touch - it is great to compare notes.
Kind regards
Waynus