Author Topic: OK I give up, just where is Worthen  (Read 1369 times)

Offline lindagene

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
OK I give up, just where is Worthen
« on: Wednesday 18 May 05 17:59 BST (UK) »
???

I keep on looking on the web for 'Worthen'
I know that it exists, I found a page on Genuki which tells me that it is " a parish in the hundred of Cawrse, county Montgomery. (Montgomery? I thought it was Shropshire!)  So it exists, but the only other things that I have found tell me that it is in the Hereford diocese.  (Hereford?  I really thought that it was Shropshire!)   I know that my geography was never good, I once had an exam paper returned to me with 'waffle' written all across it, no, I could never claim that geography was my strong suit, but could somebody please explain to me how this works.
I can find no pictures of Worthen, or come to that, of West Felton which is also a place that I am interested in,  and although I can find Worthen on a modern map, it is shown as one town, yet when I come to try and find it on old maps I discover that there are something like half a dozen parishes which all appear to be in Worthen as though it was a large area.  Now how can that be?

I have my ancestor on an 1861 census shown as born in Worthen, but he was born in 1812. so no nice birth certificate to tell me exactly where he was born.   I have him on Parish and Probate records for Shropshire -  this for his baptism  shown as   28 Jun 1812 John, s. of Thomas and Margaret Davies--Worthin.  I presume that Worthin is Worthen? , this reference is where I get 'Worthen - Parish Registers, Hereford Diocese from.  But nothing to pinpoint the exact spot.

Could anyone throw some light my way, please  ???

Lindy
Snowdon, Collinson,  Durham, Northumberland,Yorkshire
Payne, Essex    Baker  Norfolk/Essex/Australia
Davies  Staffordshire, Shropshire

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: OK I give up, just where is Worthen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 18:07 BST (UK) »
Try this site Lindy, only one Worthen in Shropshire popped up when I searched.

www.old-maps.co.uk

If it's close to Hereford/Montgomeryshire  that could cause confusion as for admin puposes it may hop backwards and forwards across county borders. Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindy,

West Felton is just SE of Oswestry ( or for you its at 25 past from Oswestry - down and to the right!!)   ;D ;D

22 miles north of Worthen - try www.multimap.com and put both in the find space.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline lindagene

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 21:18 BST (UK) »
 :D

Thanks Keith, Thanks Jan
I actually got it, it is quite an amazing site that let me zoom in to an unbelievable scale.  I must have looked at roads that my ggg grandmother knew as a girl.

And what is more, I now know where both Worthen and West Felton are.  Wish I could say the same for my old rellies.

Lindy
Snowdon, Collinson,  Durham, Northumberland,Yorkshire
Payne, Essex    Baker  Norfolk/Essex/Australia
Davies  Staffordshire, Shropshire