Author Topic: James KERR & Ann SCOTT in Sanquhar  (Read 13065 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: James KERR & Ann SCOTT in Sanquhar
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 21:11 BST (UK) »
Did they have more children in Australia?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 22:52 BST (UK) »
Yes they did Jamjar.  They had :
    Jessie Henderson 1857-58  (born at quarantine station Port Napean Vic - must have been a difficult voyage for her Mum)
    Alexander Smith Henderson 1859-1933
    Robert Henderson 1861-1918
    William Thompson Henderson 1864-1931
    Jessie Henderson 1866-1898
    George McLean Henderson 1869-1951

I have asked on Australia board in past for help finding their immigration/passenger records but no luck. 
cheers,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 April 12 00:26 BST (UK) »
So, it appears that there were two Alexander's, therefore it's important. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but he should either be a father or grandfather  from either side. Shame they didn't have more girls, as the next one should have been the name of the mother of James.

The middle names are the clue to this dilemma.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 April 12 01:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jamjar - if only they had another daughter ...

Jessie Henderson (nee Smith) 1833- 1886 has on her death certificate that her father is Alexander Smith, barrister and on her marriage in 1851 says she is the daughter of the late Alexander Smith, solicitor of Neidson (?) St  Edinburgh.   So I think this is why Alexander is important.

However we found her on 1841 census living with Jessie McLean (28) and Frances Thomsen (58) who we believe to be her mother and grandmother so she was probably illegitimate.  And in 1851 census she is living with Jessie Thompson (40) - her mother?,

So that is how McLean and Thompson and Smith became children's middle names.

cheers,
  Ros
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 April 12 02:23 BST (UK) »
Gotta love the Scottish naming patterns.  ;)

Have asked a rellie who lives in Dumfries to take a look at this. She shall when she wakes up.

Jamjar

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 April 12 03:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jamjar  :)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 April 12 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar & rosball,

Not sure I can be of any help.

I also checked on Scotlands People for a marriage for James KERR and Ann SCOTT (1780-1797) but there wasn't one. It is possible their marriage was not registered, as it was not compulsory to to register BMD's before 1855, in Scotland. Will visit the library and see what I can find but, if their marriage is not on SP I doubt whether I'll find it.

I assume you got James KERR & Ann SCOTT's name from the children's birth details.

You will probably know, Melrose is the Parish in the County of Roxburgh. I am surprised they married there, normally they marry where the bride comes from - Sanquhar, Dumfries.

I wish you continued luck with your re-search and if I come accross anything, I shall post it for you.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 April 12 11:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking cupcake.   :)

It's surprising how few James Henderson/Kerr marriages there are in Scotland in the time frame.  And surprising that no James Henderson's had a son called James in Roxburghshire  between 1829-1834. 

cheers,
   Ros

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 April 12 12:24 BST (UK) »

You are most welcome :)

I can get free access to Ancestery site at the library. Have nothing to lose.
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman