Author Topic: John(Jack) Doyle -Wexford  (Read 2704 times)

Offline sunflower1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John(Jack) Doyle -Wexford
« on: Tuesday 17 April 12 21:50 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out what happened to my great-grandfathers brother(John) Jack Doyle. He was born in Wexford in 1862 and went to America in the early 1890's. His parents Anastasia and John Doyle are buried with 2 of his siblings Alice and Elizabeth(Lizzie) in St.Ibar's Cemetary. Also named on the headstone is John(Jack). What I am trying to find out is whether it is possible that his body was brought back from USA to Ireland for burial. How can I find this out?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John(Jack) Doyle -Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 22:23 BST (UK) »
Do you know when he died? this will make it easier to check the civil registration index (in case he died in Ireland) or to look for U.S. records. In general, family members who died in foreign parts listed on a family headstone are usually not buried there.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sunflower1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 19:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have no idea when he died. He went to America early 1890's but no one in the family is aware that he ever returned to Ireland. In the same grave buried with the parents is Jack's sister Elizabeth(Lizzie). She came to live in Wales but always said that when she died she wanted her body to be taken back to Ireland for burial.The catholic priest of Port Talbot at the time accompanied her body back to Wexford. I wondered whether Jack had possibly made the same request. I doubt I'll ever find that out for sure

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 April 12 10:05 BST (UK) »
Write to Wexford Borough Council (graves section) who are responsible for Crosstown Cemetery.  http://www.wexfordboroughcouncil.ie/ContactUsMaps/

Provide the date of death of one of the persons buried so that a check can be made in the Register of Burial to identify the ‘section’ and ‘grave number’.

From that they can check the Register of Interments (example below) which will identify all the persons buried in the grave. Give your address and they will post you a copy of the entry.

My understanding is that a single grave will take a maximum of three adults. In the example below of the three adults and two infants in grave 106 only two of the adults are named on the headstone so surprises can occur.

On the subject of the burial records I recently had the following reply from the Wexford Borough Town Clerk

“Digitising the records for Crosstown Cemetery is part of the Council's review of services at Crosstown. Obviously, such a project would require substantial resources, which, as you know are not available to the Council at present. However, we intend to make contact with the local Historical Society to see if they could help us with this project. There may also be a possibility that students employed for the summer could help with the project”.
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline sunflower1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 April 12 16:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the advise. Will do that and hopefully it will solve the mystery of Jack

Offline welshjonah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 December 17 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Is this you Sue Griffiths
Doyle - Ladies Island, Wexford
McCarthy - Youghal, Cork
O'Callaghan - Oysterhaven, Cork
Shea - Clonakilty, Cork

Offline sunflower1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 December 17 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is me Welshjonah

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 December 17 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is me Welshjonah

Well, did you ever resolve your question?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area