Author Topic: Maddox family of Chirbury, Trelystan & Forden  (Read 15813 times)

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maddox family of Chirbury, Trelystan & Forden
« on: Tuesday 17 April 12 22:19 BST (UK) »
Need help please with Isaac Maddox and his 2 brothers baptisms at Forden from parish register. Also struggling to prove the Mapp line.
From Census records it shows Thomas born at  Chirbury abt.1813, Ann born at Snead abt 1810.

Thomas Maddox  B.         of this Parish
Ann Mapp             Sp.  X  of this Parish                 Anne Mapp c. 6 Mar 1812 Churchstoke d. of Will. & Mary Mapp
Mar. 1 May 1837 Trelystan Chapel               or   Anne Mapp c. 4 Dec 1810 Churchstoke d. of Thos. & Margaret Mapp
Pres. Thomas Mapp,  X Ann Maddox
Ann           c. 22 May 1837 Churchstoke   dau. of Thomas & Ann Mapp of Brynkyn, Farmer
Mary        bo. 1839 Churchstoke
Thomas   bo. 1841 Churchstoke
Elizabeth bo. 1843 Churchstoke
John         bo. 1844 Forden
Isaac        c.7 Feb 1847 Forden
       Mary ann Gwillam marriage possibly Wentnor
William    bo.1849 Forden
Sophia    c. 6 Apr 1851 Wentnor
Sarah      c. 28 Jul 1854 Wentnor
George   c. 18 May 1857 Wentnor                               As you can see lots to do.
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Maddox family of Chirbury, Trelystan & Forden
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 18:22 BST (UK) »
The Forden parish registers (bpt. to 1863) are searchable on FindMyPast at:

http://tidd.ly/c18b8e9b

If you don't have an account you can get a 10% discount with the code:

SUB10

Some Churchstoke records are on FindMyPast.

Mr. Petley-Jones of the Montgomeryshire Gen. Soc. is currently in the process of a transcript for Churchstoke

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hello again David64
Have used FindMyPast before for a 1911C which was very useful. But not for subscription at the moment.
So many lines of the family to do where to start next.
I shall check other Maddox baptisms at Churchstoke, which is at Shropshire archives.
A visit to either Llandrindod Wells or Aber. maybe on the cards.
Thanks
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Rupert1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 March 13 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Its been a long time since I looked at my Family Tree but by chance, have just come across your post on this site.

It would appear that we are connected in some way or form and the following information, a 'tree' that takes pride and place on my wall at home, may be of interest to you.

THOMAS MADDOX Died 15th July 1762 - He married MARY LLOYD at Chirbury on the 26th of May 1736. (I suspect that he will have been born around 1710 give or take a few years, but I can't find his baptism record.........yet)

There children were as follows:

THOMAS MADDOX Baptised 21st January 1740 at Chirbury.

ELIZABETH MADDOX (MADDOCKS) Baptised 2nd December 1743 at Chirbury.

ISAAC MADDOX (MADDOCKS) Baptised 12th May 1746 at Chirbury - ISAAC was buried on the 11th of January 1794. He married MARY YOUNG at Chirbury on the 28th May 1772, she died in either 1781 or 1782 and he went on to marry MARY BISHOP on the 5th of June 1783. (His children are listed below)

EDWARD MADDOX (MADDOCKS) Baptised 23rd October 1748 at Chirbury but died in infancy, buried on the 2nd February 1752.

ANNE MADDOX Baptised 30th June 1751 at Chirbury.

EDWARD MADDOX (MADDOCKS) Baptised 3rd June 1754 at Chirbury. Also died in infancy and buried on the 6th April 1755.

ISSAC MADDOX'S children were as follows:

WILLIAM MADDOX Baptised 25th July 1773 at Chirbury, died in infancy, buried 1st September 1777.

THOMAS MADDOX Baptisded 17th August 1778 at Chirbury, believed to have died in infancy, possibly buried 1st February 2781.

JOHN MADDOX Baptised 6th September 1780 at Chirbury.

WILLIAM MADDOX Baptised 2nd June 1784 at Chirbury.

ISAAC MADDOX Baptised 17th June 1786 at Chirbury. In 1841, ISAAC was living with his son THOMAS, a Publican at Shady Oak in Churchstoke. He provided his own occupation as Farmer. In 1851 he was still living with THOMAS and his family and was working as an 'agricultural labourer' on the family farm at Wentnor. (Further details on son THOMAS to follow)

JACOB MADDOX Baptised 26th Mary 1788 at Chirbury.

ABRAHAM MADDOX Baptised 26th December 1790 at Chirbury.

Offline Rupert1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 March 13 00:39 GMT (UK) »
(Continued from last post)

This ISAAC MADDOX'S children were as follows:

THOMAS MADDOX Born C1813 at Chirbury. THOMAS married ANN MAPP who was born C1812 at Snead. In 1841, he and his family were residing at Shady Oak in Churchstoke. His occupation was recorded as 'Publican'. Around 1844, the family had moved to Kingswood Forden where THOMAS was recorded as being a Farmer. In 1851, they had moved to Wentnor where there were recorded as farming 90 acres of land.

Their children were as follows:

ANN MADDOX Born c1837.

MARY MADDOX Born c1839 at Churchstoke.

THOMAS MADDOX Born c1841 at Churchstoke.

ELIZABETH MADDOX Born c1843 at Churchstoke.

JOHN MADDOX Born 3rd January 1844 at Kingswood Forden.

ISAAC MADDOX Born 19th January 1847 at Kingswood Forden.

WILLIAM MADDOX Born 4th February 1849 - William is my line, he married MARY ANN WALL (Born C1843) at the Ludlow Primitive Methodist Chapel on the the 4th September 1870. In 1870, he was a Farm Bailiff at Cleobury North and in 1875 was recorded as a Shepherd. In 1891, and at the marriage of his son in 1902, he was rocorded as being a Carrier. MARY'S father WILLIAM was a Blacksmith by trade but died prior to his daughters wedding.

SOPHIA MADDOX Born C1851 at Wentnor.

WILLIAM and MARY MADDOX went on to have 9 children by my reckoning.

His son GEORGE MADDOX was born on the 20th of November 1875 at Brineton Blymhill Staffordshire and married SARAH ANN VAUGHAN Born 21st May 1875 at Boulden Shropshire. They married on the 4th August 1902 at Stoke St Milburgh.

The had 4 children, their first being my Grandfather WILLIAM GEORGE MADDOX Born 4th August 1903 at Newport Monmouthshire.

I researched my Family Tree for many years and although there may be a few mistakes, I believe that the majority of information provided will be good and clearly relates to you also.

I have tried desperately to find THOMAS MADDOX Born C1710, but it is a common name around the Shropshire / Welsh border area and I haven't been able to identify him. There is a possibility that he may have come into the area from elsewhere, another Parish in Shropshire or possibly in Wales itself.

As you may well have noticed, the name ISAAC MADDOX is common throughout the generations and I have often concentrated on this name with a view to finding further generations going back, but again, without success.

From recollection, there is an ISAC MADDOX (or similar)who appears in records for the Shropshire Shrewsbury area in the 1660's I think. He is recorded as being one of the 'Kings Guard'. It is not clear which King he was guarding, Charles 1st or 2nd, but either way, it is an interesting piece of information that I have not been able to find anything else about.

There is a Bishop ISAAC MADDOX who was born C1690 in London and was closely connected to Royalty before developing his religious career. He is well documented but I cannot him to the Shropshire area, apart from him being the Bishop of St Asaph at one point.

I would like to suggest that we will be connected to both of them but I can't........shame.

Never the less, ISAAC MADDOX is still a strong link across the generations and I consider it to be the best way in which to identify family groups.

I haven't carried out any research for years but have it in mind to do so at some point in the future.   

Hope I haven't ruined any of your research and that the information is of interest.

All the best.

TIM MADDOX (Blackburn Lancashire)

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 April 13 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Tim
Sorry I am late have been sorting out my Linux laptop.
Very good work seems to match my research. A few details I did not have.
I have not done the Maddox and Mapp family for a while.
You have Thomas Maddocks marries Mary Lloyd 26 May 1736 Chirbury. There was an ancient family of Lloyd with Pedigree. I think Marton church has a coat of arms, three horses heads. Anyway to prove a link to this family is very difficult. http://www.melocki.org.uk/salop/Chirbury.html this link also mentions the Lloyd family and also has our Maddox.   

Isaac Maddox really does run in the family. Here is another to add more confusion.

Thomas illig. son of Anne Croft bp. 13 Sep 1812 Snead
Isaac Maddox  B. of this Parish
Ann Croft       Sp. of this Parish
mar. 23 June 1813 Snead
Pres. Jane Huff, Isaac Maddox           

If you need anything checking in Shropshire Archives then I will gladly help.

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 December 14 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Mapp      B.  of this Parish
Margaret Powell  Sp.  of this Parish
Mar. 9th May 1807 Churchstoke
Thomas Mapp   signed, Margaret Powell  X
Pres. _____ Powell   signed, John Powell   signed   

Thomas bp. 29 Nov 1807 Chirbury
John bp. 26 Jan 1809 Churchstoke
Ann bp. 4 Dec 1810 Churchstoke        married Thomas Maddox
Richard bp. 24 April 1813 Churchstoke   father of Brithdir, Hurdley,  Farmer

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 December 14 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Maddox  B.         of this Parish
Ann Mapp          Sp.  X  of this Parish    bp. 4 Dec 1810 Churchstoke d. of Thos. & Margaret Mapp             Married  1st May 1837 Trelystan Chapel             
Pres. Thomas Mapp,   X Ann Maddox
Ann          bp. 22 May 1837 Churchstoke   dau. of Thomas & Ann Maddox of Bryn-kyn, Farmer
Mary        bo. 1839 Churchstoke
Thomas   bo. 1841 Churchstoke
Elizabeth bo. 1843 Churchstoke
John         bo. 1844 Forden
Isaac        bp. 7 Feb 1847 Forden
       Mary ann Gwilliam marriage   Dec q 1873 CLUN 6a 1214 
William    bo.1849 Forden
Sophia    bp. 6 Apr 1851 Wentnor
Sarah      bp. 28 Jul 1854 Wentnor
George   bp. 18 May 1857 Wentnor         

1861 C  Asterton   16. Prolley moor
Thomas Maddox   H     mar 48      farmer 12 acres     Salop  Snead
Ann           "       Wife  mar     49                                    Churchstoke
Sophia       "       dau              10  scholar                        Wentnor
Sarah        "        dau              7       "                                  "
George      "        son         3                                                "

www.ancestry.co.uk                     

Thomas Maddox  of Asterton  bur. June 17   1878   age 64        at Wentnor               

Josiah Gwilliam full age  B.  Mason  of Ratlinghope  F. John Gwilliam,  Mason
Mary Pugh        full age  Sp.           of Ratlinghope  F.  John Pugh,  Lab.
No. 21  Mar. 10th Dec 1847 Ratlinghope   Edw. Homray,  Minister
Josiah Gwilliam   signed    Mary Pugh  X her mark

Pres. John Pugh  X,  Sarah Southerton  X

Mary Ann Gwilliam bp. 15 Oct 1849 Wentnor 
Martha born 1849 Wentnor
bp. 12 Jan 1855 Wentnor  Josiah son of   Josiah & Mary  of  The Rock, Mason
bp. 6 Apr 1851 Wentnor    John  son of       "           "    of         Rock, Mason
bp. 13 Feb 1866 Wentnor  Francis son of     "           "    of  The Rock, Mason

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 December 14 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Churchstoke
bp. 22 May 1837     Ann    dau of   Thomas   Maddox   of  Bryn-Kyn    Farmer
                                                     Ann

Wentnor
bp. 6 Apr 1851      Sophia  dau of       "            "         of  Gravenor   Farmer

bp. 28 July 1854    Sarah   dau of        "            "         of  Medlicott   Farmer

bp. 18 May 1857   George  son of        "            "                  "              "

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington