Author Topic: Orphanages, Greenwich  (Read 4992 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orphanages, Greenwich
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 15:56 BST (UK) »
Possible birth?

Born April 10th 1871
Baptism May 10th 1871
Florence Ada  daughter of Stephen Benjamin & Jane Atkins
23 Waldinge(?) Street
At Christ Church, Greenwich East.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline michlyntyres

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,  Thanks for that, I don't know how far Greenwich is from Islington, but the dates are very close to what I have calculated from the 1901 census.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 23:00 BST (UK) »
On Heir Hunters today, there was a case of a couple of young brothers who were put into a cottage home by their parents and were on the 1901 census.  On the 1911 census the parents had obviously improved their status and they had 2 more children.  The Heir Hunters found the daughter of one of the 2 children who were on the 1911 census.  She said her mother was told the older boys had left home.  The parents were probably too embarrassed to say they'd put the boys in a home.

It's possible a similar thing happened to your dad. 

As he was boarded out in 1901, perhaps his mum intended to come back for him, but when she didn't he was put into an orphanage.

until he was 14, he joined the army, the Rifle Brigade and served through
WW1 and left the army in the 1920's.  He then went on to become a musician with one of the 1930's big bands. 

That bit is definitely correct.  In 1911 he was a Boy 413/x/0 2nd Bn Sherwood Foresters in Crownhill Barracks, Devon as a musician.

Lizzie

Offline auntynet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 April 12 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you tried the workhouses.org.uk site. When you  go to this site on the left hand side you can scroll down and look for children and education this will open more choices to include boarding out/cottage homes etc.  There was one school district which ran a band!!

Best wishes Jeanette
London
Mack, Rackley
Scotland Fife
Johnston, Niven, Thomson, Laing, Burt, Mitchell, Ritchie, Hynd

Offline michlyntyres

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 11:54 BST (UK) »
I have found several Family Trees with a Florence Ada Atkins, but no mention of a spouse.  On my father's birth certificate it states his father was a labourer. 

I also listened to a radio programme on the history of The Cottage Homes, where they said that they originated from people taking in children and being classed as borders, then as they raised funds and more children needed caring for, they became The Cottage Homes.  My Dad always said there were houses with a specified number of children, House Mother and House Father.  Until the age of 5 they were in mixed houses, but then were put into segregated houses which were separated from each other by fencing.  According to the radio programme they were a long way and far superior from the Victorian orphanages.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
In the 6 years since this thread started, a sister site to www.workhouses.org.uk has appeared:
www.childrenshomes.org.uk

Well worth a look ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
Admission to the Greenwich Union Workhouse, 8 July 1901
Joseph Thompson, age 4
Says illegitimate, deserted
From 3 Glenister Rd

Offline michlyntyres

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 August 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
 jonw65, Thank you for that information, 3 Glenister Road was where my Dad was classed as a border in the 1901 census, another brick in the wall. 

I will try and research why children were placed in workhouses without their parents, I have searched marriage records to see if I can get any information on my grandfather.  I did look at the 1891 census for the address in Conley Street and there was another Thompson as the householder, but no Joseph Thompson.  I can't find any death record of him, I even searched prison records on the census, but I suppose he would not have been incarcerated in one close by, could have been anywhere.

Thanks again, I feel even more sorry for my Dad.