Author Topic: Gallagher's Puntabeg, Kilbeagh, Mayo  (Read 10168 times)

Offline annron

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gallagher's Puntabeg, Kilbeagh, Mayo
« on: Wednesday 18 April 12 09:50 BST (UK) »
Mary Gallagher b1851ish married Thomas Harrington b1845ish in the catholic chapel of Kilbeagh 28/1/1875. 

On the marriage cert it list her father as John Gallagher Farmer, Puntabeg.  I am trying to find her birth, her mother and siblings.  Griffiths valuation 1857 lists a John Gallagher and a Michael Gallagher. 

The 1901 Irish Census list house 7 Puntabeg
Patrick Honorah Gallagher b1841 Head, retired farmer
Ann Gallagher b1842, wife
John Gallgher b1850 son in law?? Ag Lab.

House 8 Puntabeg
Patrick Honorah Gallagher b1869, head, farmer
Honorah Gallagher b1869, wife
James b1897, son
Catherine b1898, daughter
John b1899, son
Patrick b1901, son

1911 Census
House 6, Puntabeg
Pat Gallagher b 1871, head, farmer
Norah b1874, wife, married 15 yrs, 9 children born 8 still living
James b1897 son
Kate b1898 daughter
John b 1899 son
Pat b1901 son
Michael b1902 son
Annie b1905, daughter
Margaret b1911 daughter

House 8 Puntabeg
Ann Gallagher b 1868, head Widow,married 8 years, no children.

These are the only Gallagher's listed in Puntabeg and I feel they must be from the same family, can anyone help in tying these together.

Any help is appreciated.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gallagher's Puntabeg, Kilbeagh, Mayo
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,

According to this site, there are some baptisms and marriages for Kilbeagh district on microfilm and you may be able to order and search these through a local Latter Day Saints Family History centre.
Civil registration didn't begin until after your ancestors' births.

http://mayo.rootsireland.ie/
This site charges but you may find something there.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 19:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heywood.

Offline jpccpa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 September 12 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

My grandmother was the Margaret Gallagher listed in House 6. She was born in 1910 not 1911. Her mother's maiden name was Griffin.

Good luck in your search.

John Conway

Offline annron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 September 12 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Thanks for your reply, I think my Mary Gallagher and your Gallagher's are somehow connected, the map reference on the Griffiths Valuation shows a Michael Gallagher reference no 7 and a John Gallagher reference no 8 in Puntabeg.  Reference no 6 shows a Anthony Haran farming there, don't know if that name rings any bells with you.

If you have any further info on the Gallagher's I would love to hear it.  We have just come back from Charlestown.  In 1948 my husband went back with his grandfather to sell the farm because everybody had by that time died, they sold the farm to a family named Mulligan's and last year we made contact with them, and they invited us to go back to see the farm.  My husband remembered Tom Mulligan as a child and he is still farming there today.  My husband had great memories of staying in the farm house and going to school there as a ten year old with the Mulligan children for a short while.  We took back pictures that were taken in 1948 of the Harrington's and Mulligan's and they were delighted to see them.

We have done a lot of research on the Harrington side of the family but the Gallagher's are proving a little more difficult because all we know is that they were from Puntabeg.

Regards
Chris

Offline jpccpa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 September 12 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

From what I was told, Patrick, who was the only one living on the farm, let the neighbor use the land and eventually they took control of it of the land. So it doesn't surprise me that a Gallagher isn't listed anymore.

My cousins had gone back about 15 yrs ago and the house was barely standing. I have no information on my great grandparents except for their names and a couple of pics of them working the land probably in the late 20's early 30's.

I know more about my grandmother's generation, the children in the 1911 survey, what's interesting is that my Aunt Sarah wasn't even born yet.

That generation is all gone now, Aunt Nancy was the last to pass about 10 yrs ago in her 90's.

If you want more info, just let me know.

Best regards,

John

Offline barbbill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 June 13 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone - I am searching for the resting place of my 89yr old mother's grandparents who were the Pat and Norah Gallagher listed at House 6 Puntabeg in the 1911 census I think there may be a link for us all given that John recognises a daughter Margaret as his mother - I have tried getting death certificates to see if they will give an indication as to where Pat and Norah may be buried but have only come up with a Pat who was a bachelor.
Can anyone help me a bit more with my search?
Many thanks
Barbara

Offline jpccpa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 June 13 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbbill,

This is John  (jpccpa). Margaret was my grandmother. Who was your grandmother/ grandfather that was a Gallagher. We have to be from the same generation. I'm in New York. please let me know if you have any success with your search.

Take care,

John

Offline barbbill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 June 13 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hello there John - well it seems there could be a connection here! My mum's dad was the John b1899 and moved to England (not sure of the date but it would be a few years prior to1924) Mum knows very little of what happened to her aunts and uncles but recalls 2 sisters going to America - one she says was Annie and she thought the other was Kathleen but it would appear from what you say that it was in fact Margaret - I am sure she said that Michael may also have come to England.
Her other recollection of the family who went to America is that 'someone' (may be a husband of one of the sister's was a policeman and worked in the Bronx.
If any of this rings any bells with you that would be great - I am not much further in finding the resting place of her grandparents - Pat and Norah - but will keep trying - although I am new to all this and at the minute am at a loss as to which direction to take.
Looking forward to hearing whether we are in some distant way related - mum would be thrilled to bits if this is the case

Kind regards
Barbara