Author Topic: marquisof rothesay  (Read 7314 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marquisof rothesay
« on: Wednesday 18 April 12 12:52 BST (UK) »
just found another crestmarquis of ROTHESAY my laidlaw family tree
so,I'm going onto WIKKIIPEADEA,to find out about the family and about him,
also found an Andrew laidlaw who was a minister i never knew we had,and found Anne Muir i had forgotten about and a Charlotte lainG on a census along with Margaret an an Elizabeth AND A JOHN laidlaw who was a tailor journeyman with a Catherine laidlaw who married a walker when i thought it was the other way around.and i think i found where the name Ferguson came from a Margaret brown married a thomas Ferguson so that only leaves the Barron name to find that's attached to my GREAT  grans name.
Jame's hutcheons mother was Elizabeth McDonald but there are one or two more MacDonald's in our family tree which could also be contenders for the source.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline jimreta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: marquisof rothesay
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
      There is no title of Marquis of Rothesay, THe correct title is Marquiss of Bute,
      which is held by the Stuart family of BUte.
      HRH  Prince Charles holds the premier Scottish title which is Duke of Rothesay
      hope this helps

regards Jimreta