Author Topic: DNA testing: 23andme  (Read 10213 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Re: DNA testing: 23andme
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 April 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,

Thank you for such a clear explanation of the options available.  I am thinking of going down the autosomal route (sadly y-dna would be no good to our family) and have compared FTDNA and 23andme.  The latter does seem a lot cheaper - which of course worries me - what am I missing out on! 

Given that my motives for doing this would be to try and track down elusive ancestors within the last 5 generations - would you recommend this?  I notice that FTDNA do now allow people to download their 23andme results - so presumably I would be able to benefit from their database of autosomal results too?

Thanks,

Liz  ;D
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 April 12 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz -

Current prices at 23andme are still $99 and $ 9/month subs for minimum of a year.  FTDNA is $289 with no subs. so the costs even out after 2 1/2 (or so years).

23andme has a much larger database, BUT FTDNA has more people interested in genealogy versus 23andme's health oriented research.  23 gives you Y and mito haplotypes, but not the detailed info you on each you get from FTDNA (but which are separate from, and additional cost to, autosomal tests).

After less than 5 months I have 992 matches at 23.  In February FTDNA allowed 23 customers to add their data for $50 and I did:  I have under 170 matches there which indicates their database is about 20% the size.

I still think the 23andme user forums are infinitely better than FTDNA's in the knowledge and helpfulness of their membership.

Five generations is well within the range for DNA to be relevant - you only have to hope that your distant relatives test and that they have paper trails that compliment your own.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 April 12 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,

Thanks very much for all this information - it definitely sounds like the way to go!  Your results are encouraging and I can only hope my second / third cousins have the same interest in genealogy that I do!

Liz  ;D
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 April 12 13:13 BST (UK) »
I think you should be aware that the situation in the UK is rather different to the US (where Nickgc is located).

Although there is great interest in genealogy in the UK, the uptake for DNA testing in the UK is much smaller than it is in the US.  I think that is because people in the US have many more challenges finding their ancestral roots, so they opt for the DNA approach in the hope that they can at least find out what country their ancestors are from, because many do not.

If you are in the UK, before splashing out on DNA tests, you should consider the following.....

• Will the prospective company make it easy for you to export the results to other databases ?
  • Will the prospective company make a charge for you to access their database year on year ?
  • Will this charge include continuous database matching on your results ?
  • Does the prospective company allow individuals to start their own surname study groups ?

I'm in the UK, and I asked myself those questions, and in the end I went with FTDNA, because......

1. They have no annual charges for accessing their database, and no charge for continuous searches for matches with your results.
2. FTDNA make it easy for you to export your results to other places (like YSearch.org and Ancestry).
3. FTDNA already had a large surname study group for my surname.
4. I'd corresponded with others that had used FTDNA and had good feedback.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline BristolClark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Daughters of Eve DNA
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 April 12 03:15 BST (UK) »
I tested with 23andme and have found it to be worth every penny.

23andme runs at a cost of about $99 these days and asks that you have a years subscription at a cost of $4. This subscription gives you updated access to the 'Relative Finder' which has been very useful in helping me get in contact with distant cousins.

The process is relatively easy and straightforward. Upon receiving the kit, you need only spit within the tube provided and post it off with the packaging provided. It took around 4 weeks for my results to come back, but it has been known to take longer than that.

Upon the results arriving, the process of immersing yourself is incredibly exciting and addictive. 23andme is indulgent enough, but there are many side projects run by independent geneticists that will help provide clearer and more precise plotting that 23andme lacks. fe. 23andme had me plotted outside of the "English", but others had me correctly assigned to the west of England and of strong Anglo-Saxon heritage.

All that is a complete sideshow compared to the enormity of 23andme's relative finder. The system places several potential cousins at your disposal, with the greater hits being top. I have connected with several relatives, albeit 5 or 6 generations back. I would have a better ratio of success, but some on 23andme get tested and are not willing to participate in the whole genealogy research, so be warned that you will meet a high proportion of arseholes to saints.

I can't recommend 23andme more, tbh. You can even find out how much of a Neanderthal you are.   ;D

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 April 12 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick29, Nickgc and Bristolclark,

Thank you very much for you replies.  I have read a huge amount on the subject of DNA testing - some of it way over my non-scientifically orientated head ::) and feel I now really do understand what it is all about.  However, there is nothing quite as helpful as reading first hand experiences such as yours with the companies involved.  ;D

Nick29 - your points are very valuable - I am, as are you, in the UK and it seems that we have a long way to go before we catch up the American enthusiasm for this aspect of genealogy.

However, of the 4 grandparents concerned: 3 of them I am 99% confident of their ancestors' locations over the preceeding 200-400 years.  The paper trails are good.  It is the 4th whose ancestry is a mystery - I suspect there may be some non-English blood in there and without going into details, the possibility of finding relatives in America is not unrealistic. 

With no suitable candidate for Y-DNA testing and mtDNA being irrelevant, this could be looking for a needle in a haystack  :o - but I do like a challenge.

I feel now that my decision will be an informed one, having researched extensively and received views from people who have gone ahead with the process - we are very grateful for your input.  ;D

Liz

Research interests:

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 April 12 11:24 BST (UK) »
Well, FTDNA offer a 'Family finder' test which uses 'Autosomal* DNA', but the results given by this test can be a bit hit & miss, and it's only claimed to work down to 5 generations.  It's really only of much use when trying to find the ethnicity of a person.  I took the test, and although I've been offered lots of matches with surnames that occur in my own tree, I've not found any substantial links. 

*Each person carries 23 sets of chromosomes, but normal DNA testing only uses the 23rd chromosome, which is the one which determines the sexual orientation.  Autosomal DNA testing uses the other 22 chromosomes, but the validity and the accuracy of autosomal DNA is hotly contested and debated. 
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autosome
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sgt John William Hetherington 1866-1934
    • View Profile
DNA Testing
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 April 12 20:50 BST (UK) »
Has anyone had any experience with the company "23andMe" for DNA testing?

I like what I see and they appear to give the information in a way that is easier to understand than some that I have considered. It was the fact that they could be certain about probability of one's Jewish ancestry and how much neanderthal blood we have in us that has attracted me.

Any info from anyone who might have used them would be most welcome.
Thank you.

Happy hunting.
Canuc

Moderator Comment: topics merged
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
James, Driscoll, Collins, Murphy (all end up in Ireland far too quickly)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Harrison, Higginson, Mitchell - Sussex
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 April 12 00:49 BST (UK) »
There was an article about 23andMe in a newspaper I read on line the other day (can't remember which paper) and because of that I looked at their website, but I couldn't find out what I wanted to know. 

As far as I know most of my ancestors are English or Scottish, but it is my paternal g.grandfather and his ancestors who are my brick wall.  Would a DNA test on me, a female, give any indication of my paternal g.grandfather's background?  We think his mother was Spanish/Portuguese and there is speculation that there may be a Jewish background.

My connection to g.grandfather is through his daughter (my gran) and her son (my dad), is anything possible where I want info on both a male and female line?

Lizzie