Author Topic: Melville Road, Edinburgh?  (Read 2081 times)

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Melville Road, Edinburgh?
« on: Thursday 19 April 12 21:52 BST (UK) »
The relative I'm researching gave their address as 4, Melville Road, Edinburgh. This was in 1930. I can find Melville Street, Melville Drive and Melville Terrace but no Melville Road.  Can anyone advise whether or not there was also a Melville Road at that time?
alastairgm
Moray - (In Rafford) MacDonald, Laing, Younie.
Orkney - (In Evie.) Robertson, Sinclair, Laird.
Herefordshire - Fox, Graty.
Gloucestershire - Price, Spackman, Bourne, Tugman,   Burroughs, Brassington.
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
Re: Melville Road, Edinburgh?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 April 12 10:24 BST (UK) »
Can't trace there was ever a Melville Road in Edinburgh.  There is one, not far away, in Dalkeith.

Hibee

ps I used to stay at 4 Melville Terrace, Edinburgh.
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 April 12 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Hibee. Thanks for your helpful reply. The Melville Road address was from a Passenger List of a cousin of mine emigrating to South Africa after qualifying as a dentist at Edinburgh University. As a student it seems much more likely that she lived either at Melville Drive or Melville Terrace rather than out in Dalkeith. Melville Rd. (as it was written) could well be an error for Melville Dr., I think. From your knowledge of the area can you say whether there were houses on Melville Drive? Looking at the 1930 street map of Edinburgh on the NLS Maps site it does not appear that there were any. If not, could 4 Melville Rd. be your 4, Melville Terrace? Would the house you used to stay at have been there in 1920/30, and would it have been likely to have been student accomodation?
Regards, Alastair
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 April 12 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Alastair

4 Melville Terrace is a tenement "close" containing 8 or 10 large flats, built around 1890, which could well have contained students.  Close to most university departments.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 April 12 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Hibee,
Thanks for the information. Looks like Melville Terrace is the right one, as there appear to be no houses on Melville Drive.
Regards, Alastair
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 May 12 09:16 BST (UK) »
I lived on Warrender Park Terrace when I was a student, and there were similar flats nearby in Melville Place as well as Melville Terrace. They were certainly built before the 1920s, so would have been there in 1930. And no, there are no houses on Melville Drive. There are also Melville Street, Melville Street Lane and Melville Crescent, which are several decades older than Melville Place and Terrace, and in a different part of the city.

You have set me wondering, now, where students actually did live in the 1920s. When I was a student it was normal for a group of students to share occupancy of a flat, but I am not so sure that that was the norm in the 1920s. I suspect that most students from out of town would have lived in lodgings or 'digs', that is, rented a room in a house or flat where the landlady also supplied meals. I actually lived in digs for most of my university years, only moving into a shared flat in my final year.

Also, when asked for my address for any purpose other than university-related things I always used my parents' home address, because I regarded the digs and flat addresses ase temporary.

Do you know where your cousin's parents lived at the time? If in Edinburgh, she may have lived with them at home, in which case you should be able to find them in the valuation rolls and registers of electors.

If she was in a lodging house, you might find the name of the landlady and of any lodgers eligible to vote. A street directory might also list the name of the landlady if it was a lodging house rather than just someone letting one or two bedrooms to students.

The valuation rolls and registers of electors are available in the National Archives of Scotland, the National Library of Scotland and the Edinburgh Centrel Library. The NAS has digitised a few of them, but most have to be consulted in the form of large tomes.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 June 12 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Forfarian. I apologise for the delay in replying to your response but I have been away on holiday for the past 3 weeks. My cousin did live at home, with her widowed mother, whose husband, a doctor, had died in Hopeman. She was from Orkney and with her family had left there several years before so with nothing there to go back to and with a son and daughter to educate she had obviously decided to buy a house in Edinburgh and take in students. She was thus able to choose one convenient for the University. One of her students was a dental student from South Africa who her daughter eventually married, which is how I got her address, from her passage out to Cape Town. This may help to answer your query as to where students from outwith town found digs.
Many thanks for your response. Regards, Alastair
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 June 12 09:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you. That sounds very logical.

In that case, her mother would be in the Register of Electors (from 1928).

The Valuation Roll would list her mother's name and say whether or not she was the proprietor of the flat. If she was the proprietor rather than a tenant, the Registers of Sasines will contain details of the property including the address and what sort of property it is.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.