Author Topic: Family with Jewish connections in 16th century Wolston?  (Read 16748 times)

Offline welshsewer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family with Jewish connections in 16th century Wolston?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 17:53 BST (UK) »
maesyseren
in case you are interested and don't already know there are still Lissamans living in Wolston.  I lived next door to one family as a child

Offline jojotou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 May 12 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Roger Lissaman was my 9th great grandfather, his son Josiah my 8th. I most definitely can trace a long line of Lissaman's in Wolston and Ryton-on-Dunsmore...  I initially thought it sounded jewish too but from the research I did I agree with what the others say - anglo scottish.

~ Jo

Offline maesyseren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 June 12 19:12 BST (UK) »
welshsewer, it's nice to know that there are still Lissamans in Wolston  :)

aeracura, Josiah is in my line too, the generations are then Thomas, another Thomas, William, Benjamin, Edward, James, Charles, my grandmother.

Offline jojotou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 June 12 02:51 BST (UK) »
Hi :)

My line is Roger, Josiah, Thomas, William, Benjamin, Sarah, then another five generations before me :)

Offline maesyseren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 June 12 19:36 BST (UK) »
That's strange - I seem to have an extra Thomas in the line .....  :D

Offline jojotou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 June 12 07:27 BST (UK) »
That would be because your second Thomas is my William's brother and that they tended to use the same names from generation to generation :)

Offline Yoellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 June 12 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm new to RootsChat and came upon this thread while googling my Jewish REST family.  I specifically wanted to address this to kateblogs so I hope she sees this.
The REST family were of Sephardic origin and were living in England after being booted out of Spain or Portugal during the Inquisition.  The earliest knowledge I have of this family name is in Lithuania where they were living in the early 1700s.  The story is that they were invited to move Lithuania by the nobiity who were interested in their expertise in the flax and linen industry.  I have had no luck finding this family in England and I do not know if the REST name was acquired there or after leaving.  I was wondering if kateblogs might have an idea on how I might research this?  I do find many  REST families living in England-- none Jewish-- but how would I know if they were hiding the fact.  There was an interesting REST family in Leeds or thereabouts-- biblical names *and* a child named Oliver Cromwell Rest.   I thought this was interesting since Oliver Cromwell was instrumental in "legitimizing" Jews in England for a time....  Thanks for this forum!!
 :)

<<There were Sephardic Jews in London prior to the mid-17th century, but they were mostly merchants from Portugal and would have kept their Jewishness very quiet. However, this family do seem to be English, the surname LISSAMAN certainly isn't Sephardic. Biblical names were quite fashionable, or they may have been non-Conformists. >>

Offline kateblogs

• RootsChat Member
  • Youth is wasted on the young
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 August 12 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Yoellie - sorry it's taken me a while to reply. I'm not familiar with the resources for Lithuania, so can't offer any useful advice about searching in that area. However, there is a mailing list for Sephardic genealogy here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SephardicForum/, and JewishGen http://www.jewishgen.org/ has lots of free databases you can search. I've just done a search for REST in Lithuania at JG, and it turned up 344 results!

If you haven't already it's well worth learning a bit about Sephardic culture, naming practices and so on. And also to remember that the name your ancestors were known by in England may be different to the one they originally had; so your Rests might have had a longer, more 'Spanish' sounding name at some point.

Sorry I can't be more help, good luck with your search!
GILBY - Essex, Warwickshire and Cambridgeshire
OWENS - Yorkshire (West Riding) and Ireland
PUGH - Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, and Nottinghamshire
RYLANDS - Liverpool and Ireland

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 August 12 11:13 BST (UK) »
This might be nothing,but i have a strong intrest in Romany culture,and the name Lissimen rang a bell in my head.
I have a book of Romany photographic compilations and amongst them is a Lissimen family in an old fashioned bow top wagon pictured at Stow Fair in 1993.
Romany folk also favoured biblical names,and the first Roma arrived on these shores from Europe c mid 1500s.
Roma and Jewish culture share a lot of similarities.

Just a thought.