Author Topic: Lubeck Rosenberg baptisimal names and census entries  (Read 1985 times)

Offline marinerclark

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lubeck Rosenberg baptisimal names and census entries
« on: Friday 20 April 12 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hello     I am researching Heinrich and Dorothea Rosenberg who emigrated to US with their grown son's family in August of 1881.  Place of Origin was a generic Prussia.  Family lore says around hamburg.

I have found a Rosenberg family on Family Search in the Lubeck censuses that matches Heinrich and Dorothea pretty well but having trouble confirming that they disappear after 1881 and tying them to a Dietrich born in 1842.  So names   Is Dietrich a formal name or a nickname?   Does it relate to Frederick?
             Census entry Lubeck Marien Quartier    1845      Rosenberg    Joh. Hein.  33     
                                                                                                               Dorothea   40?
                                                                                                               Helene     5
                                                                                                                Elise   3
                                                                                                                Wilhelm  2
                                                                                                                firedrich  1
last name on list  not capitalized   Later censuses have Dorothea as Doris and the father as plain heinrich  so names do change.
    I have found christenings also on Family search   Maria Dorothea Elisabeth    16 May 1842
                                                                                  Anna Catherina magdalena  27 Feb 1841
                                                                                  Carl Heinrich Wilhelm  17 Dec 1843
Parents were Johann Heinrich Andreas Rosenberg and Dorothea Sophia Elizabeth Geese.  Can't find a Dietrich/Frederich.  he is my link.      Need advice and help   thank you so much for your time and experience   LizR

CLARK Waite Ashley Gravett  Vousden Lilbourn
Daniels Marten Craft Beale Rye Sussex,
Morgan, Pranch, Rees, Thomas Llantrisant, St Fagans, St Lythans Glamorgan
Howell Glamorgan, Pembroke
Davies Glamorgan Merthyr and Llangafelach
Perkin, Beynon  Pembroke
Grey David Thomas Williams Llangyfelach Parish Glamorgan

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lubeck Rosenberg baptisimal names and census entries
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 April 12 19:59 BST (UK) »
If yours is the family that arrived at New York on the SS Herder on 9 June 1881 (Heinrich 48, Sofie 41, Heinrich 18, Friedrich 16, Marie 14, Wilhelm 12, August 7, Dorothea 6, Louis 4, Sofie 3, Hermann 11 months, Wilhelm 30, Johanne 20), then the corresponding departure list from Hamburg (25 May 1881) gives their prior place of residence as Celle, Hannover.

Adrian

Offline marinerclark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 April 12 21:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying.   The Rosenberg family arrived Baltimore in August of 1881 and boarded the connecting train to Chicago.  Heinrich was 70, Dorothea was 71,  There was Diedrich, his wife sophia( maiden name Beckman) son Heinrich 15, Anna 10, and Dietrich 3.  Destination on ship's list was Illinois and place of origin was Prussia.  I understand there was one fare for the boat and train--a package deal.  Thanks again   LizR
Perkin, Beynon  Pembroke

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 April 12 09:48 BST (UK) »
I checked on the naturalisation records and on Illinois Census and this lead me to a Tree on Ancestry showing a Dietrich Rosenberg married to a Sophie Beckman. They seem to have moved around quite a bit and Sophie Beckman's arrival in the States is given as 1885, destination New York. She also had a spouse, Henry Beckman, born Germany 1866.

Dietrich's parents are given as Heinrich and Dorothea Rosenberg born on the dates you mention and both are stated as having died in Du Page, Illinois in 1881.

I admit to being slightly confused  :-\
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline marinerclark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 April 12 15:55 BST (UK) »
My Dietrich was naturalized in DuPage County Illinois(just west of Chicago) in 1888.  The family has his original certificate.   The County Clerk did not have the Declaration of Intent or any other paper work when I wrote them in the 80's.  They move to Wisconsin in approx 1893-- Clark Co.  with new family member son William born 1883 York Center  Illinois.
        Rosenberg is not a real common name.  Which census in Illinois?   Thank you for looking.  i don't have Ancestry right now.   Would love to have death dates for Heinrich and Dorothea--  they didn't go to Wisconsin and neither did Anna.   About 6 marriages for a Anna Rosenberg in Cook County that could be her.
       Still very interested in German naming patterns and Lubeck.  I can't read German so even an occupation for Heinrich would be amazing.  Thanks for all the great help on Rootschat   LizR
Perkin, Beynon  Pembroke

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 April 12 18:34 BST (UK) »
The tree on Ancestry gives the Rosenbergs with the birth dates you supplied and the death dates for Heinrich and Dorothea Rosenberg as 1881 in du Page Illinois.

Rosenberg is not an uncommon name in Germany.

However, the date of arrival for Sophia Beckman is 1885 on the Tree in Ancestry. She was also married to a Henry Beckmann.
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline marinerclark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 April 12 19:53 BST (UK) »
Interesting  I will have to figure out how to view this tree.  My Dietrich 1842 and Sophia only had grandchildren thru Dietrich b. 1879.  Except for the missing Anna.  Family lore says lost touch with one sister and one died assume in Germany.   Thanks for sharing.  Maybe I will find cousins and photos     LizR
Perkin, Beynon  Pembroke

Offline marinerclark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 September 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hello  Success at last.  Heinrich Rosenberg showed up on Find a Grave buried in Dupage County at the Zion Cemetary.  This lead to the church records.  The church published a 50 anniversary book in 1888 that listed the whole congregation with birthdate and PLACES.
      Rosenberg Family was from Hannover  specifically  Dieplotz region and the villages of Mellinghausen, Staffhorst and Papsen.  Still looking for Anna born 18 Dec 1871.   Hope this helps someone.   LizR
Perkin, Beynon  Pembroke