Author Topic: Ewen Family - Dunscore  (Read 2158 times)

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ewen Family - Dunscore
« on: Sunday 22 April 12 07:43 BST (UK) »
Is anybody able to help with locating details of the Ewen Family who lived in Dunscore during WW2.  The family lived at Dardarroch Cottage, and the family Head George was a Blacksmith.  He had married a Martha Dobson, and possbly moved to the area from Edinburgh.

There was at least one son, Harold Ewen, both Edinburgh 1919, and possibly a 2nd son William James, born 1916 in EIRE.

Martha Ewen died in 1943, followed by George in 1945

Sadly Harold Ewen was killed in action in Holland 6 months before his father died, and it would not appear that there are any further relatives.

Harold Ewens grave has been tended for the past 64 years by a now 92 year old Mrs Thijssen, who would love to be able to track down members of the family.

http://twgpp.org/downloads/news/TWGPP_Newsletter_Spring_2012.pdf

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ewen Family - Dunscore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 15:20 BST (UK) »
hi,
     dont know if this helps any on the dunscore war memorial it lists two ewens harold l/cpl kdsb and william ewen pte a&sh (bothers ? )i have  copy of photo of memorial if any help

harrywrag

Offline doonhamer17

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Ewen Family - Dunscore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 March 13 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I have correspondence from a Dolly McKnight of Auldgirth, Dumfriesshire to my grandfather after Harolds death. She wasHarolds finance but I have no idea what happened to her. From the letters she wrote I believe that Harolds father was the last Ewen. She visited him after Harolds death and he was going to live with his sister due to ill health.