Author Topic: Ann Young - convict  (Read 28592 times)

Offline tamworth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Young - convict
« on: Sunday 22 April 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
I'm having trouble trying to authenticate the information Re, Ann Young, that I have from some family trees. The Ann Young in my ancestry was a convict as was her sister Euphemia Young, They both arrived in NSW in 1805 on board the William Pitt. Ann married James Parker.

All the family trees that I have seen have the parents of Ann as James Young and Elizabeth Black, as both these people come from very affluent families its hard to imagine 2 convict children in the same family, both deported to NSW also, I cant find Ann listed among their children. This would mean that all these family trees, as well as mine,are incorrect . I'm hoping that someone can help.

Online bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Young - convict
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 April 12 10:55 BST (UK) »
My 1st thought is do you have both sisters Death Certificates and if so who are the parents listed for them?

Mick

Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline tamworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 12 11:32 BST (UK) »
I can't find Euphemia's death record.  Ann's death details only state that she was 75 when she died at Parramatta NSW. Regards

Offline heymin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 April 12 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, I "googled" and nothing came up for Ann but there were a couple of things for Euphemie (an Australian convict site and "rootsweb").
Euphemie was convicted on 24-2-1804 of stealing calico in Banff (but tried in Aberdeen) along with her sister Anne, Anne's husband Peter Cavanagh, Jant Monroe and Margaret Gray. The Aberdeen Journal says they were vagrants and known thieves. Euphemie married Patrick Hanrahan eventually (Irish convict) and depending on what you read had three or five sons. She left Patrick and ended up with Frederick Morgan. She was born about 1784 and died in 1850. Hope this helps.
Strachan,Wood,Leiper,Craig,King,Smith,Shearer,Reid,Wilson,Galloway,Buthlay,McLean.
Aberdeen,Slains,Nigg, Findon,Portlethen,Monquhitter,Cumineston,Banff,Oldmeldrum

Online bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 April 12 13:31 BST (UK) »
There is a 1815 NSW marriage
V18161909 3A/1816    HANNAGAN    PATRICK    YOUNG    EUPHEMIA    CD (no idea what location CD is)

It's possible either or both sister's NSW marriage certificate will have parents names.

This MAY be Euphemia's death in NSW taking into account heymin's information
V1850234 102/1850    MORGAN    EUPHEMIA    AGE 60

Mick

ps maybe a idea to ask a Moderator to transfer this post to the Australian board
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 April 12 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks to heymin for the lead. I found an article in the Aberdeen Journal, February 22nd 1804 regarding the vagrants mentioned. There is quite a lot of information  but I'm not sure how to save it to my computer. Here's a few snippets...
Ann Young, native of Enzie, Banffshire..good looking woman,fair complexion, brown hair,thin..pregnant very big with child..
Euphemie Young says her mother Rebecca Young resides in Montrose....about 18, very forward in her manner..
The article does not state their relationship to each other nor to Peter Cavanagh.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline tamworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 April 12 03:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks flst for your information. I have found the site that you refer to it begs the question 'what happened to the child on Ann?' There is no record of Ann arriving in Australia with a child. Is there a site where I can find the record of her trial? Being a vagrant I guess there isn't much chance of locating her parents..

It does seem that this Ann is the right one. heymin states that Ann's husband was Peter Cavanagh, if this is right wouldn't this show up in her records somewhere?.  She married James Parker in NSW in the year 1810 (also a convict)
Many thanks all for your help. Tamworth

Offline caimein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 October 12 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I know that Ann is not the daughter of James and Elizabeth Young. Their daughter married Robert Morice  who coincidently was a court clerk and signed some of our Ann's legal papers. I have a copy from the Scotish Records Office that I could scan for you. Ann and Robert Morice were having children after our Ann Arrived in Australia.
It is frustrating not have the death certificates of either Ann or James Parker. I have no record of them after the 1828 census

Cai

Offline janbal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Euphemia and Ann (convicts ) from Banff were sisters. I am more interesred in Euphemia, but they both were transported for 5 years aboard the "William Pitt" arr Sydney 11 April 1806. Ann did marry Parker, a convict. Would assume Ann kept quiet about her marriage and it was 29 April 1810 ie after she served her sentence.ch Catherine, Ann,Jane, Euphemia,Mary, James, Margaret.
1806 employed by Thomas Whittle, Parramatta
1822 census - wife of James Parker Windsor= possibly bought 15 acres Windsor.
1828 Ann a Hutkeeper for Mr Palmer, James, her husband a shepherd for Mr Palmer
Not sure of death, but there is a death for an Ann Parker at Parramatta in 1862.
None of the BDM certs for Euphemia have any parents listed.
Euphemia mar Patrick Hanrahan 1816 and had 5 ch William Henry (James), Patrick, Denis, John, James. About 1816, she took off to Sydney and lived with a James Morgan with whom she had 2 or 3 children.Euphemia died 1 Jan 1850

Would love to get a copy of the Aberdeen article if that is possible