Author Topic: Ann Young - convict  (Read 28551 times)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Young - convict
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Ive been following this thread since yesterday, im finding it interesting.

Peter Cavanagh, Address: Prisoner in Aberdeen. Entry relating to the crime of theft. Date of trial: 24 Apr 1804, Verdict: Guilty, Verdict Comments: Guilty, art and part, Sentence: Transportation - 7 years, Note: Diet continued on 25 April 1804; sentencing took place on 26 April 1804 (see JC11/47, f.60r)

Ann Cavanagh, wife of Peter Cavangh, m.s. Young, Address: Prisoner in Aberdeen. Entry relating to the crime of theft. Date of trial: 24 Apr 1804, Verdict: Guilty, Verdict Comments: Guilty, art and part, Sentence: Transportation - 5 years, Note: Diet continued on 25 April 1804; sentencing took place on 26 April 1804 (see JC11/47, f.60r)

Euphemia Young, Address: Prisoner in Aberdeen. Entry relating to the crime of theft. Date of trial: 24 Apr 1804, Verdict: Guilty, Verdict Comments: Guilty, art and part, Sentence: Transportation - 5 years, Note: Diet continued on 25 April 1804; sentencing took place on 26 April 1804 (see JC11/47, f.60r)

http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

I got some stuff from the Scotland archives a few years back and found their prices to be fair, tho i cant remember how much  ::) I also found them very helpful. I would be inclined to email them and ask for a quote for any records you may want.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Ann's baby would have been born before she was sent out here, i wonder what happened to the poor baby.

Offline janbal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Euphemia et al were all  held in the Tolbooth in Aberdeen. I wonder whether Ann's baby even survived?

Offline janbal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Quite some time ago I said that Peter Cavanagh had died on the Hulk Retribution , 1810/11. The copy I had was very small, I have since seen a larger copy which is easier to read, and he was actually discharged , not died, 20 April 1810/11. No idea what then happened to him. Sorry for misinformation.

But I have now become a little confused about James Parker. I, like others assumed him to be the convict from Atlas 2, and this could still be the case. However, two articles in "Australian Town and Country Journal" (on Trove website) make for a little confusion. The first article 23 May 1896 is about death of their daughter Ann m1 Livingston m2 Eades. She died 5 May 1896. This article says her father, James Parker was in the 102nd regiment. Also that mother was 99 when she died.

The other article15 July 1876 is about Ann Parker sr. It says she was believed to have been the oldest resident in the colony at time of death "a short time ago"- no exact date,   Says her husband had died about 30 years previously and that he had been "a soldier in one of the first detachments sent out to New South Wales." Would make his death about 1846. Does say she had been in Bathurst district for 56 years.

Guess it could just be, that at the time, family did not want it known about convict past.

Offline LAnderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 December 14 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that Janbal. I also wondered what happened to the child Ann was carrying when convicted.
I note that Brucetee is a descendant of Ann Young from his posting on 31st January 2013. I was hoping he might respond about confirmation of the relationship between Ann and Euphemia Young - arrested together in 1804. 
It seems that quite a few families went with the story that their ancestors were part of the military guard for the convicts - John Ritchie who I mentioned earlier as having some relationship with Euphemia -was also noted in a local history of the early 20th century as becoming acquainted with a person who purchased some of his land from their service in the same regiment.   

Lorraine 

Offline caimein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 December 14 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
My husband is a descendent of James and Ann. I have rechecked all my information on James and I
believe he is the James who arrived on the Atlas. Every record tallies. It is frustrating that we have no death record for him. In the future I hope to go through any farm/ estate records in the Bathurst area as a land owner may of recorded a burial or death on his property.
As for Ann we still do not know if Euphemia is her sister. She did name one of her children Euphemia though. Hopefully DNA may prove or disprove the relationship.
Regards
Cai

Offline janbal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 December 14 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
Like you, I still think James P was convict on Atlas. Have you looked at the NSW Register of Land Grants and Leases 1792 1876 on Ancestry? there are a number of entries for James Parker at Bathurst,  even one for an Ann Parker 1811, at Richmond which could well be her. Still no proof of whether Ann and Euphemia sisters but think quite possible, although it is strange that the Aberdeen articles say that Ann's mother was at Enzie which is near Forabers and E's mother at Montrose which is in Dundee

Jan Balgowan

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 27 December 14 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Scots magazine:
Ann Young wife of the said Peter Cavanagh
https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=IxEbAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA397&lpg=PA397&dq=scots+magazine+euphemia+young&source=bl&ots=Mfj-Mfo4MI&sig=66unaRiH9f9tL65tSnTNcs2inE0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LjWeVPvEG8nt8gXZnYH4BQ&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=scots%20magazine%20euphemia%20young&f=false

The surname Young was a gypsy name in scotland (btw) if Peter Cavanagh was well known at fairs and they roamed the highway maybe they were gypsies? Maybe some DNA could prove a gypsy relationship too
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline janbal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 27 December 14 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

You may already have seen this and I'm not sure if the right James Parker. But Google "Queen Charlotte's Vale" "James Parker"  There is an interesting article re a James Parker in the Samuel Rooney piece. He is in 1828 census  as living in Brisbane , which confused me until I realised that it was probably Brisbane Valley. Don't know if this is of any significance, but Pat Hanrahan applied for land there in 1836 and probably moved there late 18136