Author Topic: Ann Young - convict  (Read 28452 times)

Offline janbal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Young - convict
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 27 December 14 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that re Scots mag. I do have a copy. though.They may well have been gypsies, I have no idea. Cavanagh was from Armagh Ireland. Lots of Irish went over to work in the Scottish coal mines and the spinning/ weaving industries in late 1700's early 1800s', who knows why he did.

Offline caimein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 27 December 14 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I have just read the article re James Parker and Queen Charlotte Vale. The James Parker would be the son of James and Ann as it stated he was born in the colony. George Schofield talks about meeting 'old Parker'. This means we have James in Bathurst in 1828 and now in 1834.

We have had our DNA done through 23and me. They don't test for gypsy blood but there is a DNA site that does. I will see if we can transfer our results to them.
Cai

Offline LAnderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 28 December 14 07:01 GMT (UK) »
 "THE OLDEST RESIDENT."
 The Sydney Mail and New South Wales Advertiser  Saturday 8 July 1876 p 47 Article
"We find it announced in the Bathurst Times that a Mrs. Parker, who is beiieved to have been the oldest resident in the colony at the time of her death, departed this life a short time ago. The deceased was almost a centenarian, having reached her 98th year in March last. She arrived in this colony in the ship William Pitt in 1804, only sixteen years after the foundation of the colony, the British standard having first been raised on the shores of Port Jackson in 1788. The
deceased's husband, who has been dead about thirty years, was a soldier in one of the first detachments sent out to New South Wales. Mrs. Parker had resided in the neighbourhood of Bathurst for some fifty-six years, and crossed the Blue Mountains before Bathurst was in existence, beyond its mere name. We are informed that, including children, grand children, and great-grandchildren, the deceased's descendants at present number about 120."

It appears that the Bathurst Times (newspaper quoted) copies have not survived for so the exact date of the article is unknown.  There is no record of an Ann Parker in NSW Deaths in 1875/1876 or any Parker female registered at Bathurst in those years. Presuming that the family provided the details for the paper they have obviously continued with the myth of their father serving in the regiment BUT they have correctly identified the "William Pitt" as the ship on which Ann arrived although missing the date by two years. Given that the article about the death of their daughter Ann Eades (May 1896)states that her mother died twenty years earlier the family seem to be pretty good with dates but the the only burial of a James Parker around the 30 years earlier mark is in 1848. This James Parker was aged 88 and he was buried in the Roman Catholic church St James Sydney. There does not appear to be a probate record for either James or Ann.  56 years residence at Bathurst is an exaggeration as the family were living at Windsor for the 1825 Muster. The 1828 Census does give "Atliss" (sic) as the name of the ship of arrival for James Parker in 1802. He has an Absolute Pardon with children born in the colony and the whole family is noted as being protestant.     Lorraine         

Offline janbal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 29 December 14 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorraine,

It is strange that no death can be found for either James or Ann Parker.I have a copy of a page from "A history of Bathurst vol2" which has a photo of the old South Bathurst Cem. which shows some graves of various people inc a number of Nevilles of our family( various spellings), none of which seem to appear in NSW BDM index. The photo was apparently from "The Australian Town & Country) 1899. I wonder whether James may have been buried there. I don't have any more info re that cem.or the book which I saw in Bathurst years ago.
 On Ancestry there is a James Parker died Abercrombie District  V1837 279321. He is a possibility as he appears to be in the Brisbane Valley area from 1828 until at least 1834.
Who, knows, they may turn up one day!
Jan B

Offline LAnderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 29 December 14 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan
I think we can assume that James Parker was still alive as late as September 1839 and early 1840 when the land grant of 62 acres named "Hope Hill" Lot at Queen Charlotte's Vale was confirmed. He was authorised to take possession of this land in March 1831. This grant was in lieu of 100 acres promised in 1830 by Sir Ralph Darling.  The grant  would not have been issued in his name if he had died earlier. The beneficiaries of his estate or those family members making a claim would have required an application stating his date of death and the details of their claim. The burial for James Jnr in July 1850 is also not in the surviving church registers. There is an article in the Bathurst paper only- also no inquest noted. The burial at Abercrombie in 1837 is for an infant. What is particularly strange about Ann's death is that after March 1856 there was a penalty for not registering a birth, death or marriage in NSW. I think that the Bathurst BDMS register may have been lost and not transferred to Sydney. Sometimes deaths were not registered if there was an inquest but I doubt if there would have been an investigation into the death of a 98 year old!   
Lorraine       

Offline caimein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 29 December 14 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I had assumed that the land grant was for James junior but off course in family history you can never assume anything. The Bathurst registers may well have gone missing as I have another Bathurst family that just disappeared. (James and Ellen Dooley)

I have a photograph of James jnr's grave if anyone is interested.
Cai

Offline janbal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 04:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Must admit it sounds as though a register has some how disappeared.
Jan B

Offline tamworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 00:35 GMT (UK) »
As mentioned before, I am a descendant of Ann Young and James Parker via their daughter Euphemia Essina Parker who married John Popple.

This is the information I have re James Parker : Quote...At age 16 James Parker played a part in the Irish uprising of 1798 (he was Protestant). What crime he committed is unknown. There were no Irish records for that time as all political prisoners were then tried by court marshall. He was tried in Dublin in 1801, given transportation for life, and travelled to NSW on the ship 'Atlas' arriving in Sydney on 30th October, 1802. He was later given an absolute pardon on 31 March 1813. This was most unusual and was in consideration of his having informed a guard about various people involved in stealing cattle in NSW, who were then prosecuted to conviction. He was a stockman for George Thomas Palmer. The 1814 muster taken at Windsor listed his wife, Ann Young and three children, one of these being Margaret whom he had married in 1810. He applied for and was given a land grant, but later sold it. He then worked on Palmer's property, "Parratta" in Bathurst.

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]I don't know how accurate this information is, can anyone confirm it?[/color]
RayS

Offline janbal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 06:17 GMT (UK) »
You may all have this info. but just in case - Have just found a map of 62 acre grant to James Young (Land & Property Information NSW Govt. Historical records online,Historical
 parish maps) and seems he called his farm"Hope Hill" just on outskirts of Bathurst.
 The Sydney Gazette and NSW Advertiser Sep 14 1839.
no 599 James Parker. Sixty two acres, parish of Bathurst, No 10 of the allotments ( actually shows up as no 16 on map)in Queen Charlotte's Vale.
Promised by Sir Ralph Darling on the 24th Nov 1830 and possession given on 31st March 1831, as a small grant.
Quit rent 10s 4d sterling per annum, commencing 1st Jan 1834.
Don't know if this is of any help.

Jan B