Author Topic: Douglas Frank NICKINSON  (Read 4848 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Douglas Frank NICKINSON
« on: Sunday 22 April 12 22:06 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if sks could possibly help me try and confirm the name of the wife of Douglas Frank Nickinson who was born in 1882 in Kensington, Middlesex but died Penticton, BC on 12 April 1961. 

I have him on the 1901 census with his widowed mother but can't find him on 1911 census in any country.  In 1916 he enlisted for the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force and his next of kin is listed as his wife Mrs D F Nickinson (very helpful) living in Calgary.  Am unable to find another death on the online BC death indexes but is is possible she died after 1991 or possibly before in another area.  I can't find him leaving the UK nor entering Canada, or even US, so can't confirm if he emigrated with a wife, although nothing appears in the E&W marriage indexes.

Although Douglas Nickinson is a distant sideline, it would be nice to have his wife listed on the tree. ;D

I do NOT need anything on any other members of the family both before 1901 or after as have already done this.  Just trying to tie up ends.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline LindaGW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Frank NICKINSON
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 12 00:31 BST (UK) »
The BC Death Registry Index at www.familysearch.org has him as Single???

I would suggest you contact the Penticton public library to see if they can provide you with an obituary or death notice.  This may help answer your question.

Linda

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 12 13:00 BST (UK) »
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/2961.html
 - Calgary directories here.  In 1916, there are no Nickinson's and the address he gave (79 4th St West) is listed as empty.

However, he's there in 1917:
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/2961.12/492.html

Seems to disappear after that (checked 1918 to 1920, not other years).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 12 14:38 BST (UK) »
Using the information from his Attestation Papers, you can order his complete military file at
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html

The files are very complete and if married, his next of kin should be listed and perhaps you will get the information you seek. The files contain pay documents, NOK, battalion transfers, medical information, injuries, his destination on return to Canada.

I checked the address given on his attestation papers for the 1916 census and another family was at the address at the time of the census.

I wasn't able to find him on passenger lists so I would think he may be mistranscribed on both census and passenger lists probably as Nickerson or Nickelson. When searching I would look for alternate surnames.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 April 12 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Linda, jorose and valeriec for your comments/suggestions.  I shall have another play on the 1911 Canadian census to see if I can pick him up but will probably look to order a copy of his military file.

Much appreciated.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 April 12 22:26 BST (UK) »
A possible for the 1916 census

Living in Calgary East ... 512 Centre Ave W

Douglas Nickinson, "O" for Overseas, 33, b. England, Immig 1900, Occupation Packer for what looks like H Bay (expect this would be the Hudson's Bay Company and matches the 1917 directory entry above) but this is crossed out and overwritten with Soldier.

His wife's name looks more like Ces to me, 20, b. USA, Immig 1910, No occupation.

No children in the family but, given the age of the wife, they may not have been married long.

Also in the household are a married Nellie Lodge and her 2 young daughters.

The 1921 Canada census is due to be released in 2013 so this may provide you with some additional info.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Polarbear

Thanks for that, definately looks likely, albeit that in 1901 he was in London as an Opticians Apprentice so I think he must have forgotten when he emigrated!  Be interesting to see the 1921 census when it becomes available.  As far as I can see the Nellie Lodge is not associated with his family, albeit I'm only researching from his mother's side so could still be a connection.  His wife could be Ces or possibly even in Les for Lesley ???

Interesting, thanks for that!

Nicola

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 00:39 BST (UK) »
I had wondered if that was him I had found on the 1901 census. There is a  P (but c/b a D) F Nickinson passenger record in 1904. He is an Optician, b. London, heading to Montreal and about the right age if I remember correctly.

Re: the 1916 census immig date ... if Douglas was overseas it probably w/h been his wife who gave particulars (?) and she may not have known precisely?

I didn't think the "C" was an "L" ... the line for the "C" is pretty clear to me and I think the other part is a smudge. Too bad it doesn't appear to be a full name either way.

Well, perhaps the military file will provide something should you choose to go that route.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 03:32 BST (UK) »
Can't seem to find the 1904 passenger record at present (could just be a bit too late) but interestingly there is a Leona May Nickinson arriving in Seattle in 1927 born c.1897 who is married and Vancouver was the last permanent residence.  Apparently on route to Texas.  Something tells me that could be his wife?  A little more of the puzzle hopefully. ;D  Will have another look for the 1904 record later.