Author Topic: Newbury Remembers  (Read 13710 times)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Newbury Remembers
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 May 12 13:39 BST (UK) »
George Henry Ballard 1893-1915 Gallipoli, ofCharles Ballard 1853-1937 and Emma Head 1860-1911. Eldest son
His brother Albert Edward 1899- 1918 Vimy Ridge

Hi

George is one of the men whose story I have begun to write (see below) - if there is anything you can add I would love to hear of it.

Albert is new to me - he is not on the Newbury war memorial with his brother, nor was he on the Speenhamland School memorial (unlike George).  I don't suppose you have his service record? I can only think that his parents thought that his serving with the Canadians somehow meant he did not qualify for the local commemoration.  If so they were wrong, I will add him to my virtual memorial. 

At his attestation Albert seems to have given his name as Alfred (crossed out and Albert inserted) and his next of kin as his father Thomas!?

There is space on the memorial to add 21 names, if there was a case to add a name someone like Albert would be a prime contender.

There is another Ballard on the memorial - Mark H Ballard - if your research can shed any light on him, especially his relationship (if any) to George and Albert that would be a great help.

One aspect that is of great interest is the impact of the war on extended families - it is easy to spot brothers dying, but cousins, brothers-in-law etc with differing surnames are more difficult to spot. If you know of any relationships like this it would be good to know about them.

George's story - so far:

George Henry Ballard Private 8960, 2 Battalion, Hampshire Regiment.
George was born in 1893, the son of Charles Ballard and his wife Emma née Head. Charles was a labourer, originally from Chieveley while Emma was from neighbouring Leckhampstead. Little is known about George’s childhood, during which he attended Speenhamland School, but he evidently decided fairly early in life that the army was the job for him. By 1911 he had signed up with the Hampshire Regiment and is found in the census return for Winchester Barracks, a 17 year old private in the 3rd Battalion.

The 3rd Battalion was a depot/training battalion that never went overseas, instead men were attached to the 3rd Battalion during their initial training, or while recuperating from wounds etc and posted to other battalions for active service.  As a pre-war regular George was posted to the 2nd Battalion which, at the outbreak of war, was stationed at Mhow in India. The battalion, along with many others, was rapidly brought back to England for redeployment , arriving at Plymouth on 22 December 1914. On 13 February 1915 the 2nd Battalion was attached to the 88th Brigade in the 29th Division then assembling around Warwick. On 20 March the Division sailed from Avonmouth, bound for Egypt; from there they went on to Gallipoli, landing at Cape Helles on the first day of the campaign: 25 April 1915.

That first day casualties were light, but three days later the 2nd Hampshires lost 70 dead in a single day as the 88th Brigade attempted to break out of the beachhead. George appears to have been their only casualty on 13 May, in all likelihood he was actually a casualty of an earlier day (they also lost over 25 men on 8 May) and had succumbed to his wounds.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 May 12 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Newburychap,
Thank you for the further  info on George Ballard.

Mark Henry Ballard 1890 - 1917 was a first  cousin of George and Albert Ballard. His parents were Mark James Ballard 1861-1941 and Susannah Cook 1869-1947

Mark James was the younger brother of Charles Ballard 1853, father of George. Both were sons of Henry Ballard and Caroline Pike/Pyke who had 15 children. Caroline was one of the 9 children of  of William Pike and Lucy Sellwood. Lucy was one of my Sellwood kin.

In 1911 Mark Junior  was at Dover with the  1st Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment at South Front Barracks Western Heights. I understand from another source that he enlisted on 6th April 1882 at Reading but I don't have the service records of any of these Ballards as further proof.

I am not a member of Ancestry and have not got round to ordering direct as these Ballards are quite distant.

In 1881 Mark's father, Mark,  was a lodger with his brother, Matthew,  at the Albion Public House, Oxford Rd Tilehurst, a labourer.
Mark junior was one of 4 siblings according to the 1911 for his parents but 2 died. I have only been able to find a sister Alice b 1893 from the 1891/1901 when Mark was using his second name of Henry.

When it comes to Albert Edward 1899 son of Charles and Emma. He presumably had emigrated to Canada after 1911 as he was serving with the Quebec Regt. but I have not been able to follow this up and have found no sailings. The CWGC commemmoration gives his parents as Charles and Emily and everything else fits, so I was very sure that this was the right person.
However, your saying that his attestation papers give him as Alfred/Albert and father Thomas does put another facet to the picture. As far as I presently know, Mark James and Charles Ballard's brother Thomas 1855-1900 and wife Ruth did not have a son Alfred or Albert, and CWCG is very clear.

Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 27 May 12 08:25 BST (UK) »
Thomas' son Ernest is another addition to my virtual memorial - he too was schooled in Speenhamland alongside George and Mark (but not Albert?).

Mark's father, also Mark, was also a soldier in the Royal Berks signing up in 1882.
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 May 12 12:59 BST (UK) »
Thomas' son Ernest is another addition to my virtual memorial - he too was schooled in Speenhamland alongside George and Mark (but not Albert?).

Mark's father, also Mark, was also a soldier in the Royal Berks signing up in 1882.

Hello Newburychap

It is amazing how, when you think you have the bones of a family, something pops up to either alter or add to it. I have Mark James Ballard 1861 in all the censuses and  was told although had not proved, as I said previously, that he signed up in Reading in 1882. It must have been a short stay as he was in Newbury with family  in 1891 as a labourer, but thanks for confirming.
I do not have Ernest Edwin 1884, son of Thomas and Ruth's death although I had suspected that he might have been a casualty. Can you tell me the year of his death? Is it the Ernest in 1916 Service No:25111?  If so, it looks as if wife Emma nee Lailey remarried to Francis Westall in 1919, and died in 1950.

Can you also tell me how you are finding these service things so quickly? Is it from Ancestry or from FindMyPast?  If the latter then I will consider upgrading my subscription to a full one.
Thanks
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 May 12 18:03 BST (UK) »
The Ballard family are proving to be an interesting bunch - I found a tree online http://www.paul-ballard.com/pedigrees/index.htm that gave a shortcut to the family relationships - confirmed by censuses (I tend to use Ancestry most though I do have FindMyPast as well).  They are invaluable for military research. Ancestry has Mark sen's attestation papers. When he signed up in 1882 it was for 12 years - 7 in service and 5 in reserve; by 1891 he would be back home but still in the reserve.  Even in 1882 aged 19 he had previously served in the 3rd Batt R Berks (volunteer part time militia).

In the case of Albert Edward the Canadian archives have proved most revealing - not a happy story.

I also have a lot of my own resources - local and military books and a mass of other stuff picked up over the years. For instance I can tell that Mark sen's landlord in 1911 was Speenhamland luminary Richard Ravenor - who himself has three sons on the Newbury Town Memorial - not sure if that is of any use, but it might add a little embellishment to Mark jun (Harry)'s story when I write it up.  This week I am aiming to take some gardening tools over to Speen churchyard to excavate the Ravenor gravestones and see if they have the three sons named on them (as I have be told they have).  But I digress.

Ernest's landlord in 1911 was the Newbury Brewery Co - effectively the Somerset family - giving two more names on the town memorial.  Sadly he lived in Smiths Buildings/Cottages, which don't feature in the local directories of the period (giving, I suspect, some idea of the quality of the accomodation) so I cannot see if he was still there in the war years.

Ernest was on the Speenhamland school war memorial (which seems to be lost) so I had already the basic info on him - CWGC, Soldiers who Died, and some Royal Berks data (a database I have been given by a serious Royal Berks researcher). The memorial places him in the Royal Berks, the Royal Berks data has no. 25111 as being from Newbury (place of birth Shaw) - hence my identification of him as the casualty you have found.  However, I have no idea why he is not on the town war memorial. All I can think is that his widow had moved away - or had, as you suggest, remarried and put Ernest behind her (not easy with at least two children to remind her) - and there was no one else around to put his name forward - given the number of Ballards around this does seem odd.

The local paper is also a great source of info - for instance:

NWN 3 May 1917 – Killed in Action
BALLARD – March 30, in France, Sergt Mark Henry Ballard, aged 26, Machine Gun Corps, dearly loved and only son of Mr and Mrs M Ballard, Speenhamland, Newbury.

NWN 17 May 1917 – Local War Notes
Information regarding the death of Sergt Harry Ballard, only son of Pte and Mrs M Ballard, of Speenhamland, Newbury, has been received from his chum, Lcr-Corpl Wilkins, who has been home on ten days leave from the trenches. Deceased was a time service man when war broke out. He was in the Royal Berks, and went to France in August, 1914. Being wounded in October,  1914, he returned to France in Many, 1915, when he was transferred to the Machine Gun Corps. Since then he has taken part in all the important engagements. Sergt Ballard was killed on the 30th of March, by a shell exploding near him whilst taking his men back to rest. Death was instantaneous. His chum helped to bury him next morning. Deceased’s father is in the Royal Defence Corps, now stationed at Fareham, and a brother-in-law is in the Royal Flying Corps. Mrs Ballard has received a letter from the Company-Sergt-Major, in which he says:- The Warant Officer, Staff Sergeants and Sergeants of the Company, respectfully beg to tender their deep sympathy to you in your sad bereavement of the loss of your son. We feel his loss very deeply, for he was a true friend, a good comrade, and a gallant soldier, always cheery, with a smile for everybody. He died doing his duty, bravely and nobly. You can rest assured that everything possible was done for him.

Now I need to find his brother-in-law in the RFC... did his sister Alice marry Arthur Bosley or Frank Smith? Or was it one of Emma's brothers? 

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 28 May 12 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Newburychap,
I know about Paul Ballard's site. Although a lot of it is very accurate, some of the very early stuff I had proved is not so reliable. The links originally made  between the Ballards of Ufton and those of Thatcham are particularly iffy and incomplete, but the site has proved useful to me as a starting point in the past.

It is ages since I really looked in depth at my Ballard links so I am having to refresh myself again.
I also have not done much military research so a relatively new experience for me.

Alice Ballard
At present I have no confirmed marriage for Mark Henry's sister Alice 1893. In 1911 she was still single. As was her cousin Alice 1890 dau of Charles and Emma (Head) I had tentatively married the latter to Arthur John Bosely in 1912 (FreeBMD) 

Arthur John Bosley died in 1975 Newbury Reg Dist according to my research, and an Alice (who I think is his wife)  age 46 death is registered in 1937 Wallingford reg dist, buried 4th Oct in Cholsey St Mary "of Berks Mental Hospital "(Cholsey) Her age was my reasoning for my choice of bride for Arthur Bosely but I do not have the marriage cert as absolute proof of parentage.
I have 2 sons from the birth regs for this couple.

So at the moment I have Alice Ballard dau of Mark marr to Frank Smith in 1915 (FindMyPast) I don't think Frank was a casualty because there is a birth in 1918 between a Smith and Ballard in Newbury Reg Dist (FindMyPast) Therer is also a death of a Frank of the right sort of age in Newbury reg dist in 1935. I have, however, not followed any of this up.

Ernest Ballard
Yes, I have him in 1911 census but thank you for info on his landlord. As you say, a puzzle as to why he is not on the Newbury memorial. His daughter Alice at least  stayed around the Newbury area and married Thomas Charles Lawrence.

Albert Edward Ballard
You said, "In the case of Albert Edward the Canadian archives have proved most revealing - not a happy story."
I would love to hear that story. Will you be publishing it on the Memorial site?  If not, I would be grateful for your version of events. Thanks.
Yours
Vicwinann

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 02:13 BST (UK) »
Lance Serjeant Arthur John WESTALL of the 1st Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment killed at Loos 28 Sep 1915.  Service No 5440.  Age unknown.

There are 4 Westalls on the Newbury war memorial - but no AJ.  An EG, 2 Fs and a W.

The 2 Fs are the main problem, one is Frank (1st R Berks, 7497) but the other ...

CWGC has Service No 12829 for F. WESTALL, 6th Bn Royal Berkshire Regiment, and TNA lists Pte Frederick WESTALL's Medal Card with that service number.  Reading is recorded for enlistment and birthplace on FindMyPast.

I'm now reasonably confident that it was Francis George WESTALL who married widow Emma BALLARD 1919 as they shared an address at burial in 1949 and 1950 respectively.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 05:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Deejay,
I don't have the marriage certificate yet but from the registrations etc I have that Francis George Westall 1880 died in 1949 and Emma Westall 1883 in 1950 both Newbury Dist. So yes, I agree with you. Francis George married Emma Ballard nee Lailey,widow of Ernest Edwin Ballard.
I have done no other research on the Westalls at all. Other than find who I think is Francis in 1881 in Welford. Son of George and Emma and grandson of Maria Clark widow.
Vicwinann

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Newburychap,
I know about Paul Ballard's site. Although a lot of it is very accurate, some of the very early stuff I had proved is not so reliable. The links originally made  between the Ballards of Ufton and those of Thatcham are particularly iffy and incomplete, but the site has proved useful to me as a starting point in the past.
The early stuff is not relevent to my work with the WW1 fallen so I haven't noted errors there - really I have just used it as a shortcut to sorting out family relationships and found it very handy.

It is ages since I really looked in depth at my Ballard links so I am having to refresh myself again.
I also have not done much military research so a relatively new experience for me.
I am getting to know the Great War in at a far deeper level than I did before I started this project. I am convinced that someone from West Berks died in just about every significant engagement, did just about every job in the force, served with pretty much every Imperial force, and died in pretty much every way possible.  Researching them means I am reading up different aspects of the war every day - and it's proving to be fascinating. Then their civiliam lives throw up all sorts of issues - I am massively more informed about Edwardian England than I was before I started - and I have barely scratched the surface so far.

Re: Alice Ballard

I had guessed at the two marriages and came up with the same answer as you.

Albert Edward Ballard
You said, "In the case of Albert Edward the Canadian archives have proved most revealing - not a happy story."
I would love to hear that story. Will you be publishing it on the Memorial site?  If not, I would be grateful for your version of events. Thanks.
Yours
Vicwinann
Not on my website yet - I need to make some modifications to allow for those who are not commemorated anywhere in West Berks - which will take the form of a virtual memorial.