Author Topic: Newbury Remembers  (Read 13712 times)

Offline Paul J Ballard

• RootsChat Member
  • www.paul-ballard.com for UK Ballard Genealogy
    • View Profile
Re: Newbury Remembers
« Reply #27 on: Friday 13 July 12 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Newburychap,
I know about Paul Ballard's site. Although a lot of it is very accurate, some of the very early stuff I had proved is not so reliable. The links originally made  between the Ballards of Ufton and those of Thatcham are particularly iffy and incomplete, but the site has proved useful to me as a starting point in the past.

Always happy to have corrections to the material on my website - after all it will remain "iffy" If no one tells me about it.

Paul
Ballard in UK all locations and dates.
Other lines of interest - Wills, Bishop, Samuels, Dunnell, Easey, Wes(t)comb(e), Richarson, Jarvis, Mathews, Stoneham, Jarvis, Ingram, Edwards, Catt, Moore, Lintott, Tee, Lee, Phillips, Davies, Drew, and a few more!

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 14 July 12 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Newburychap,
I know about Paul Ballard's site. Although a lot of it is very accurate, some of the very early stuff I had proved is not so reliable. The links originally made  between the Ballards of Ufton and those of Thatcham are particularly iffy and incomplete, but the site has proved useful to me as a starting point in the past.

Always happy to have corrections to the material on my website - after all it will remain "iffy" If no one tells me about it.

Paul

I will gather together all my notes and email from your site. In the meantime I am sending you a PM with one correction.
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 04 November 12 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Lance Serjeant Arthur John WESTALL of the 1st Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment killed at Loos 28 Sep 1915.  Service No 5440.  Age unknown.

I have done some research on this WESTALL casualty, in an attempt to find descendants to claim their 'ownership' on the CWGC site, so far without success.  His widow, Alice [nee LEWITT] originated in Leicester, where she raised their two children born Aylesbury, where in 1911 AJ was a Railway Porter.

AJ and his brother 'Wm' [otherwise Francis William Edward], of Northbrook Place, Newbury [1891 Census] were sons of Francis WESTALL [1852-1894] and were orphaned young.  I've not yet discovered what became of AJ's brother 'Wm'.

Update:  Delighted to report that I am now in contact with a second cousin twice removed who descends from AJ!
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 15 April 13 23:49 BST (UK) »
Update:

This evening I made a presentation to a Newbury Town Council committee, with the aim of persuading them to mark the centenary of the outbreak of WW1 in some meaningful way.

One aspect they seem keen on is to involve the relatives of those named on the memorial - or as many as we can find.

So if any relatives will be close enough to join us in August 2014 watch this space ...

The Newbury Remembers section of my website now has over 60 stories - with more on the way. http://westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk/nstories.php

Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
Thought I'd do an update.

There are now 246 stories online at http://westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk/nstories.php

And I have another 54 drafted and ready for webbifying. So 300 down, 39 to go!

However there are still some names that are causing problems; I have been unable to conclusively identify:    
Allaway W      Bailey R      Donovan G      Giles E 
Holmes F      Jones WJ      King W      New A
Parsons A      Pearce F      Pocock WH      Rolfe AG      
Slade CH      Taylor TL      Westall F

I am pretty sure that one (Taylor) is a duplicate entry for Taylor CT (he was CTL), Parsons and Slade may also be duplicates for Parsons AT and Slade SH.  F Westall could also be a duplicate - there are two F Westalls on the memorial, one of whom is readily identified - but it seems a little less likely that duplication of an identical name would make it on to the memorial. The rest are a total mystery. As I progress I shall write up my efforts to identify them and put them on the website to a) avoid duplication of effort and b) highlight my incompetence (several already have links).

If anyone can shed any light on these men please do!  All are WW1 casualties (ie died 1914-1922 of a cause that the family related to their war service).
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 22 June 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
Just to prove that it isn't impossible to ID any of these I had a go yesterday and am now pretty convinced that W H Pocock is Walter Henry Pocock who died in April 1919 aged 53 - well above the typical age range but he served in France with the Royal Artillery and was invalided home in September 1918. He is not commemorated by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.