Author Topic: Any thoughts?  (Read 14176 times)

Offline Julia davidson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any thoughts?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 April 17 17:15 BST (UK) »
My dad was from Coatbridge

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 April 17 18:50 BST (UK) »
My dad was from Coatbridge

Scottish birth certificate list date and place of parents' marriage. You can then look up your grandparents' marriage to find their parents' names, etc. Census records will also help (latest available is 1911)
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 April 17 22:02 BST (UK) »
Just looking at Lisa's post again, she is saying she is descended from the Samuel  Loughlin in Urney in 1911 (who is my grans brother) he has a son James could James be your grandfather? This is just speculating. Is there a link to Tyrone hence why you looked on this board? There where a few Tyrone loughlins in Coatbridge. Do you know if your family were Episcopalians?

Offline Julia davidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 April 17 01:05 BST (UK) »
Yeah the tyrone thing is something I just found out through a member  on the ancestry site. I believe Samuel is my great grandfather and James was my grandfather who had 3 children sammy, Helen and James

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 April 17 08:45 BST (UK) »
Yeah the tyrone thing is something I just found out through a member  on the ancestry site. I believe Samuel is my great grandfather and James was my grandfather who had 3 children sammy, Helen and James

You really do need to verify everything (especially if the details you've found on Ancestry are from one of the family trees). With Scottish records it should be fairly straightforward to check if Samuel is indeed your great-grandfather.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 08 April 17 11:17 BST (UK) »
As Aghadowey says you need to confirm your grandparents. If there is a connection to my tree I believe Lisa (other post) is your cousin once removed her grandfather being Samuel who went to Australia. You grandad and my dad would be cousins, I think?

Offline andanehy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 07 July 18 20:36 BST (UK) »
Even Jane’s son Robert Hyndman and his half brother William Hyndman came to Scotland. Robert lived in Johnstone, Renfrewshire and the rest in the Coatbridge area.

Hi Andrew,

This is my first post here and I don't use message boards much, so please accept my apologies if I haven't got the hang of this...….

Would you know if Jane Loughlin referred to above in your post is the person who married John Hyndman (labourer, widower) on 3rd September 1858 at Urney Parish Church? This person could be my 3xggf re-married?

The Hyndman surname in unusual in itself but to find one in roughly the same area, with the same forename, occupation and status as my 3xggf increases the chances of this John Hyndman being the same person?

I ask because my 3xggf, John Hyndman had (as far as I know) three sons with Helen Wilson, her date of death is unknown but bef.1867. The three sons moved to Scotland, Andrew (my 2xggf) and Joseph moved to Johnstone and William moved to Charles Street, Glasgow. By 1887 their father John Hyndman had died, but exact year of death not known) and in 1891 both Joseph and William in Johnstone died three months apart. I know from my research that John Hyndman did not move to Scotland with them as I unable to find a record of his death on www.scotlandspeople and I have extensively searched there.

I do also know from Poor Law applications made that Joseph and William were born in Sion Mills (between 1851 and 1853) which is close to Urney. I also know of a Robert Hyndman who lived on the next street to my Hyndman's in Johnstone. I can't yet find a link, if there is one to my Hyndman's as I found that he married Annie Edgar in 1890 at Douglas Bridge and his father was  Robert Hyndman, not John Hyndman. I assume that this is not the same Robert Hyndman that you refer to?

It's also interesting that you mention a half-brother, William moving to Coatbride, not far from Glasgow.

If you are able to add anymore information to my enquiry that would be wonderful and hopefully I will hear from you soon?

Kind Regards,

Andrew Hyndman.

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 09 July 18 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew.

Wrong generation I am afraid. My Jane married William Hyndman around 1898. I had previously noticed the marriage you refer to when looking at Tyrone records, I am sure there is a connection not sure where. There is a lot of intermarriage with the Loughlins so a lot of common names I see what else I can find out.

Andrew 

Offline Ian Anderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 05 June 20 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

I found this forum chat by chance on google and think we may be linked through the Laughlin line as a lot of names and places seem to match.  Do you know if any of your Laughlin ladies married to anyone with the surname Bustard?