Author Topic: Devitt - Help Please  (Read 5395 times)

Offline triathlon

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Devitt - Help Please
« on: Tuesday 24 April 12 17:28 BST (UK) »
Patrick Devitt born 30 Nov 1814 (usa records) in Co. Clare emigrated to Burlington USA in 1847.  He married Bridget Gorman (born Ireland) - 1820 - 1894. Not sure whether they married USA or Ireland.  Patrick had a brother Martin who emmigrated with him, born abt. 1820.  Can anyone help me with this family , eventually ended up in Wisconsin , USA.  Thank you.

Offline mldevitt

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Devitt - Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 July 16 23:01 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you ever heard from anyone about this family, but they are my great-great grandparents. They ended up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Patrick and his brother Martin were naturalized in 1855. I have not been able to verify my suspicion that Patrick and Martin were the children of Patrick Devitt and Honora Curry from Ennistymon, but the information seems to fit.

Sources: Griffiths Valuations, and parish census records.

Devitt, Patrick
Formoyle Eighteragh (West) [Townland, Town, Street]
Inagh [Parish]
Ennistimon [Union]

Address from 1841-51 Census
Carhoontedane, Lahinch, Co.Clare

Gorman, Bridget
Drumduff
Inagh
Ennistimon

Corry, Honoria
Fermoyle Eighteragh (West)
Inagh
Ennistimon

I have posted a lot of what I've learned about the family after they emigrated on Ancestry.com in a Devitt family tree, but would love to learn more about their roots in Ireland. (We just returned from a trip to Ireland, where I broke my ankle in Kells Bay, and so I'm sitting -- a lot -- and poking into family roots.)

Please let me know what you've come up with.

By the way, I also do triathlons, when I'm not nursing injuries.