Author Topic: Philip Henry AYDON  (Read 13462 times)

Offline Rosannel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Philip Henry AYDON
« Reply #54 on: Monday 22 January 18 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Years out of date, but I've found a death notice for Phillip/Henry in the Argus, Melbourne, on 8 May 1893, that states that Phillip Henry Aydon, aged 66, late of Victoria railways, died aboard the steamship Hohenstaufen en route to Southhampton on 12 February 1893. (Via Trove, Aus newspapers). Can't find a death certificate for him though.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 27 January 18 03:47 GMT (UK) »
The death would have been registered in the UK as death at sea.

The National Archives

AYDON P H
Death Mar 1893
Country    Great Britain
Reported date    1893
Archive reference    BT 334   Box    0007

There are two entries in registers but no further information.  Just AYDON and Hohenstaufen in one and P H AYDON in the other.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosannel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 27 January 18 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks.

Offline dksearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 05 February 18 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanx very much Cando and Rosanna - you have done some amazing research.
My mother and I have both had our DNA done and I am sure that I don't any connection to the Aydon's above Philip Henry Aydon. I have messaged someone on the Walsh side of the Aydon family to see if they have done their DNA or would be interested in having it done, to put to rest the question of Archibald's father. Not yet received a reply yet.
I found an article about Katie Roscoe who was described as the half sister of Frederick and Archibald so am now sure of that connection. But would love to find out more of their mother Agnes Rose Annie Smith.

Offline Rosannel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 11 February 18 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Two days after Agnes died on 24 July 1875 her death certificate shows that she was the wife of PH Aydon of Sandridge, Melbourne, not a gold miner somewhere in Victoria. So she and/or her sons knew of his whereabouts at the time of her death, although the boys, still calling themselves Roscow, were presumably not aware that he may have been their father.
From looking through various Nelson newspapers, it appears that Frederick changed his name to Aydon 3 years later in 1878, and Archibald the following year. When Archibald married in 1881 he gave his father's name as Philip Henry, and called one of his sons (I think the firstborn) Philip. So he evidently believed PH to be his father. When Frederick married in Melbourne in 1883, it was noted in local newspapers that he was the eldest son of PH Aydon of Emerald Hill - 'eldest son of' not just 'son of'. So he also seems to have believed Archibald to be PH's son, and presumably so did Philip Henry, who was obviously in contact with him.
So it seems that only Agnes knew the truth. I think comparison of DNA tests of descendants of PH's siblings with ours might give the best answer. Probably not Frederick's because his paternity could also be in doubt - Agnes gave birth to him a few months after marrying PH.