Author Topic: Re: Hugh Connor and Mary McNany  (Read 20138 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McNany 1821-1886 Louth, Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 17:52 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately you usually need a detailed location before you start a search for a baptism in Ireland - i.e. which town, townland or parish. In a small number of cases you can sometimes find clues if the family were relatively well off, or where the husband/father had certain occupations that may be listed in directories etc.

Not all parishes have records back as far as 1821, so knowing the location is vital.

from the 1851 Census, that she and her husband Hugh O'Connor or Connor came from Louth, Ireland but I cannot locate them in the Louth records.

Which Louth records did you search already ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My  Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Connor and Mary McNany
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 20:45 BST (UK) »
Shane

The only location info. that I have is from the 1851 census i.e. Louth, Ireland. I have checked the records of : Irish Family History Foundation

Bill

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 20:57 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately just knowing the county is not specific enough - you need to know the parish or town, otherwise you could be searching for a record that does not exist.

I think IFHF/RootsIreland have transcripts for most, if not all, the available RC records for Co. Louth, but dont have records for any other denominations.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 22:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Shane, but I do not know anything but Louth and that they were definitely RC

Bill

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 November 15 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 31 January 16 19:42 GMT (UK) »
I am now wondering whether my GG Grandparents may have come from Monaghan and not Louth. I have seen a number of McEneaney's from Carrickmacross in Monaghan and it looks a very short distance from the Louth border. May be back in the 1840's it could have been in County Louth. Grasping at straws I know, but does anyone have access to the birth records for Carrickmacross?

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 May 16 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I hope the people that took an interest in my previous posts are still around, and maybe some new eyes. This is an update on my previous post:-
   Re: Search for ancestors births in Ireland
« on: Tuesday 07 October 08 18:18 BST (UK) »     
I am trying to find where my gg grandparents came from in Ireland but am not sure that I have enough information.

The names involved are Hugh Connor (1881 census says 90!!, but Durham death certificate says 66). He died at Tudhoe, Co. Durham in July 1881). His wife is another problem as her maiden name appears as two different ones on two of the childrens birth certificate. As she could not write, the person writing the census must have just written, based on the phonetics. It came out as Mary McInnerny.
They had 4 children:- Margaret born about 1846
                                   John b 1850
                                   William (my g grandfather) b 1857
                                   Thomas b 1859

They must have moved from Ireland for Hugh to get work in the Durham mines. I would love to know where they came from. As anyone any suggestions?

I have now established that my great-great-grandmother remarried in 1883 after the death of Hugh. She married Michael Dooley on 29 January 1883 at St Charles Chapel Tudhoe, County Durham. Her age is now 52 which would make her born in 1831 but the censuses were suggesting 1825 which is a much more likely year of birth. I suspect that she might have lied about her age to her new husband who was already younger than her. The key piece of information to come out of this marriage is that her father's name was Bryan McNany. Secondly one of the witnesses was a Bridget McNany.

I'm hoping now with the extra bit of information I can get back to their place of birth in Ireland. Any help would be much appreciated."

I have today discovered some information, which might help me break down the wall surrounding my Irish connection. I found two bits of information, which may be a total red herring, but I am hoping that someone can help me prove it correct.The UK Census in 1851 says that Hugh Connor and Mary McNany, came from Louth, but the address below suggests otherwise. However I believe that the location is very close to Louth. I have a feeling that they may have been born in Ardee, but that is speculation and I need some solid facts.
1) On Ancestry I found:-
Name:   Bryan McNanny
Event Type:   Marriage
Marriage Date:   Feb 1812
Marriage Place:   Drumconrath, Meath, Ireland
Diocese:   Meath
Spouse:   Rose Clark

and then
2) The birth of Mary:-
Name:   Bryan McNana
Diocese:   Meath
Spouse:   Rose McNana
Child:   Mary McNana

Both are from the Ireland Catholic Parish Registers
The problems that I have are:-
a) The birth of Mary differs considerably from every other record that I have being 1814 compared to the UK Census which suggests 1821 or thereabouts
b) I need to know whether Bryan and Rose had any siblings. Possible names are Michael, and Bridget.

Any help would be much appreciated.