Author Topic: Re: Hugh Connor and Mary McNany  (Read 20140 times)

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Search for ancestors births in Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 15:30 BST (UK) »
I now believe that I have an update on the above. I think that my gg grandmother Mary was a McEnaney. Therefore I am looking for a Hugh Connor born about 1815 and Mary McEnaney born about 1828, both from Louth. They settled in Co. Durham and had their first child Margaret in c1846. Other children were:-John, William and Thomas. I suspect that their marriage was around 1844/5 though I do not know whether they were married in Ireland and then migrated, or whether they travelled to Co. Durham met and then got married.

If anyone can help, I will be extremely grateful, as I am desperately trying to find their birthplace in Louth.

bill

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 January 09 15:29 GMT (UK) »
 A further update is that if I have the correct Death Certificate Hugh Connor died in Tudhoe, Spennymoor Co. Durham in 1881. His age was stated as 66. This puts his date of birth as c1815. Mary Connor nee McEneny??) died in 1887 aged 67, which puts her date of birth as 1820.

Is it likely that an Irish couple would marry first in Ireland and then migrate to England? If so then there must be a marriage certificate for them, which would confirm their age and also Hugh's and Mary's father. Based on a birth of 1820 for Mary, then the earliest marriage could be 1836. They were definitely living in England by 1851 as they appear on that census along with the two children by then, Margaret born c1846 and John born 1850, both born in England. This would narrow the marriage down to between 1836 and 1845.

Does anyone have access to Irish (probably Louth) marriage records, that could help me?

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Bill

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 January 09 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill

I have just had a quick look at the IFHF site at

http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com/index.php?&set=yes

and found the following based on your info.........

Marriages 1840 [/b] (+/- 4 Years)
Surname First Name    Year County   
Connor    Hugh       1840 Co. Louth  Cooley

McNeany Mary       1838 Co. Louth,  Dundalk
McEneny Mary       1839 Co. Louth,  Tallanstown
McNany Mary       1840 Co. Louth,  Haggardstown
McEneny Mary       1841 Co. Louth,  Ardee
McEneany Mary    1842 Co. Louth,  Louth

Baptisms - 1815 (+/- 4 Years)
Surname First Name    Year County   
Connor Hugh       1813 Co. Louth,  Kilsaran
Connor Hugh       1814 Co. Louth,  Dunleer

Baptisms - 1820 (+/- 4 Years)
McEneny Mary       1820 Co. Louth,  Haggardstown
McEneany Mary         1821 Co. Louth,  Kilsaran

You may wish to have a go at extending the period on either side of the base search dates.

Are you sure what religion and are you still convinced about Co Louth?

Best of luck

HB
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 January 09 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hugo

Thanks for your response. I had been to the Online Louth Library and obtained the same sort of information as yourself. I have speculatively viewed one marriage cert. for Hugh and one for Mary costing me 10 Euros but without success.

The Louth connection is based on the English census of 1851 which shows Hugh and Mary being 36 and 27 respectively, coming from Louth, Ireland.

Unfortunately the ages in subsequent census, fluctuate wildly, with 1881 having Hugh as 90!!. His death certificate in 1881 shows his age as 66, which would confirm the 1851 age as correct.

Regarding the religion, I am sure that they were RC as Hugh's burial was at St Charles RC Church, Tudhoe, Spennymoor, Co. Durham and the paperwork, I obtained was in Latin.

Regards

Bill

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Bill

That's the problem with the IFHF site, you can't enter the bride and groom surnames. If you could, the search would be less lengthy (and less expensive too!)

Hopefully they may improve the searching aspect to include both surnames in the marriage search.

HB
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Connor and Mary McNany
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 August 10 16:59 BST (UK) »
This is not strictly a new topic as I submitted the following question back in January 09. However I have a little bit more information this time so I thought I would try again. My question was:–

« on: Tuesday 07 October 08 18:18 BST (UK) »    
I am trying to find where my gg grandparents came from in Ireland but am not sure that I have enough information.

The names involved are Hugh Connor (1881 census says 90!!, but Durham death certificate says 66). He died at Tudhoe, Co. Durham in July 1881). His wife is another problem as her maiden name appears as two different ones on two of the childrens birth certificate. As she could not write, the person writing the census must have just written, based on the phonetics. It came out as Mary McInnerny.
They had 4 children:- Margaret born about 1846
                                   John b 1850
                                   William (my g grandfather) b 1857
                                   Thomas b 1859

They must have moved from Ireland for Hugh to get work in the Durham mines. I would love to know where they came from. As anyone any suggestions?

I have now established that my great-great-grandmother remarried in 1883 after the death of Hugh. She married Michael Dooley on 29 January 1883 at St Charles Chapel Tudhoe, County Durham. Her age is now 52 which would make her born in 1831 but the censuses were suggesting 1825 which is a much more likely year of birth. I suspect that she might have lied about her age to her new husband who was already younger than her. The key piece of information to come out of this marriage is that her father's name was Bryan McNany. Secondly one of the witnesses was a Bridget McNany.

I'm hoping now with the extra bit of information I can get back to their place of birth in Ireland. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bill

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 August 10 17:23 BST (UK) »
There was lots of information posted on your previoius thread so to avoid needless duplication I've merged it with your new post.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 August 10 17:34 BST (UK) »
aghadowey

Thank you for merging my topic, I wasn't sure how to deal with the new information bearing in mind the original topic is over a-year-old.

Bill

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McNany 1821-1886 Louth, Ireland
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 17:24 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate the birthplace of the above, who was my GG Grandmother, and finding it immensely difficult!! I know from the 1851 Census, that she and her husband Hugh O'Connor or Connor came from Louth, Ireland but I cannot locate them in the Louth records. I think that they must have come over to England at the time of the Potato Famine in Ireland and settled in Co.Durham. I have been unable to establish when Hugh and Mary were married, which could have been before they left Ireland or whether they met and married in England. I cannot find any record of them in the 1841 census. They had 4 children: Margaret, John, William and Thomas. After Hugh's death in 1881 she remarried in 1883. Her husband was Michael Dooley. On the marriage certificate, a witness was Bridget McNany and the fathers name was Bryan McNany (deceased). With all this information, I am hoping that some one can help me find the birthplace of this key relative.

Bill

Moderator Note : Topic Merged with existing thread on this couple