Author Topic: 1918 Absent Voters List for Derry?  (Read 5388 times)

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1918 Absent Voters List for Derry?
« on: Friday 27 April 12 00:57 BST (UK) »
I have heard that an 'Absent Voters List' for the year 1918 exists for Derry city. This should record the names and home addresses of soldiers who were serving overseas at that time; as well as their rank, the name of their regiments, and their army service numbers.

The Derry AVL is supposed to be in the Derry Central Library. However, I have asked the staff in the library to check if this document is in their collection, but, after checking, they have said that it definitely is not.

I would love to know If anybody out there has any knowledge of this document or indeed has a copy of it in their possession. I am particularly interested in knowing if any people with the surname 'McGlinchey' are listed on it, especially, a Henry McGlinchey, James McGlinchey, Andrew McGlinchey, or Michael McGlinchey.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Offline rob elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1918 Absent Voters List for Derry?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 April 12 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Londonderry 1918 AVL

McGlinchey-

Harry..3 Donaghey's Row...Pte 373946 -  275th employment company Royal Engineers [this man was Henry who had previously served in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers as 13680]

Also in the same house-

James McBride 33105 [26857] Pte Royal Irish Fusiliers, noted as 're-enlisted'.

Charles...22 Deanery Street - no regiment listed, may not have been in the army could have been working in England or may not have returned his card with info.

Myles [junior]...34 long Tower pte 21893 Royal Irish Regiment.

That's all listed.

AVL is not in londonderry, library does not have a copy.

This is from my copy.

Rob

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 April 12 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

Thanks a million for the information. I found it very useful!!

Harry McGlinchey was my great grandfather. He is recorded as being in the 7th Battalion of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers on the civil birth record of one of his children in 1915. He is recorded as being in the 4th Battalion of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers on the civil birth record of another child in 1916. I knew that he was in the Labour Corps at a later period, from the information contained on his medal card, but I didn't know what Company he was in. Was railway construction the main duty of the 275th employment company of the Royal Engineers?

Do you know where the AVL for Derry is located Rob? In PRONI perhaps? I'd love to know as I would like to get a copy of it!!

Thanks again for all your help!!!
Best wishes,
Brendan

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 April 12 14:53 BST (UK) »
Brendan,
            I can find the service record of a James McGlinchey who joined the Royal Enniskillen Fusiliers in 1906. His next of kin was his wife, Sarah of 42 Nelson St, Londonderry and he had a son Thomas. His father was Charles McGlinchey of 36 Bridge St. Londonderry. He was discharged as a corporal in 1913. The documents are very difficult to read and I cannot get any further information.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline rob elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 April 12 19:47 BST (UK) »
Brendan,

Glad to be of help. Unfortunately i can't help with your query regarding the Employment Company.

Are you familier with the website 'great war forum', google that and you should find the page to 1914-18.org there its explains the various units, but you can also post on forum an ask for info. There are some very knowledgable guys on there.

My own grandfather was Royal Engineers, 150th Field Company, from Rosemount.

The AVL i have i got about 10 years ago from the original ledger. There was [is] i believe no obligation for councils to keep voter registers so most were destroyed or kept by councils.

The problem is Derry City libraries probably have it but like in England the staff don't know what or where it is, so say they don't have it.

There were about 5-6000 volunteer from the City during the war, which for the population of 40,000 is pretty high, it is possible there were more based on a calculation of killed to served ratio.

The war memorial has 756 names on it but this should be nearer 1000.

Rob

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for Daniel O'Kane b.1879 Garvagh. He enlisted at some time during WW1 and survived the war. He ended up in Cork after the war and married there. In April 1919 he was mentioned in Coleraine Constitution as not yet demobilized.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mary
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim