Author Topic: Darragh - Coleraine  (Read 15949 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Darragh - Coleraine
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 April 12 11:31 BST (UK) »
Have done a bit more digging and may have some new details on the family but before I do any more typing I want to check that we are searching for the correct person.

"Mary Margret Darragh born 1909 in Coleraine"
Do you have her birth certificate? why do you think she was born in Coleraine?
There's a Margaret Jane Darragh birth registration July/Sept.1909 Coleraine registration district and a Margaret Darragh in 1906 also Coleraine district. Neither is likely to be the daughter of Joseph and Ellen.
1911- possibly Margaret Jane Darragh birth 1909 Coleraine district:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Kilrea/Mullan/591879
1911- Margaret Darragh birth 1906 Coleraine district:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Coleraine/Hartford_Place/589513

Most likely birth registration for child of Joseph and Ellen:
Margaret Darragh July/Sept.1908 Magherafelt registration district volume 1 page 698
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 April 12 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   The second marriage in Ballymoney District may have some merit. On 4 Feb 1900 Joseph Darragh married Ellen McKinnen in St Marys Rasharkin R.C. Church, Ballymoney District. Ellen's father was called Patrick.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 April 12 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   That Ellen Darragh married Henry Scullion in St. Marys R.C. Church Rasharkin, Ballymoney on 19 Jun 1919. Her father's name was PATRICK.

Regards
Hi
Ellen's maiden name was Mckillen and her father was Patrick. So It looks like she married Mr Scullion, I will look for a death.
Many thanks
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
Scotland - Barnes, McKillen, Kean, Ross, Steel
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 April 12 12:44 BST (UK) »
Have done a bit more digging and may have some new details on the family but before I do any more typing I want to check that we are searching for the correct person.

"Mary Margret Darragh born 1909 in Coleraine"
Do you have her birth certificate? why do you think she was born in Coleraine?
There's a Margaret Jane Darragh birth registration July/Sept.1909 Coleraine registration district and a Margaret Darragh in 1906 also Coleraine district. Neither is likely to be the daughter of Joseph and Ellen.
1911- possibly Margaret Jane Darragh birth 1909 Coleraine district:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Kilrea/Mullan/591879
1911- Margaret Darragh birth 1906 Coleraine district:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Coleraine/Hartford_Place/589513

Most likely birth registration for child of Joseph and Ellen:
Margaret Darragh July/Sept.1908 Magherafelt registration district volume 1 page 698

I was looking on ancestry and Found Mary Darragh Coleraine, as I explained in my first post I find looking for my Irish relatives very difficult and would be very grateful for some good websites so that I can try and find some more information myself before committing to buying certificates.
I am particularly interested in my maternal line and I would be grateful if you could take a look at names and dates to see if you think I am on the right line?
Many thanks
C. Antrim/Ireland - McKillen, Kane, O'Kane, O'Neil, Coyle, Mallin, Donnelly, McMullen,
England - Beards, Edwards, Clarke, Chinn, Chatham, McKillen, Bruton, Insull, Morgan, Tipple, Jarvis, Burgess, Hall, Walker, Swain, Morris, Kean, Kingett, Davies, Ryder.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 April 12 14:08 BST (UK) »
The 1919 marriage for Ellen Darragh also lists Ellen McKillen on the same page (the index would include both her maiden and married surnames).

Possible death registration for Joseph Darragh: Oct./Dec.1913 Magherafelt registration district volume 1 page 487.

To find registration districts for townlands go to http://www.thecore.com/seanruad, search for townland and then check PLU (Poor Law Union) which will be the name of the registration district. The registration district is what will be listed in the civil indexes (births/marriages/deaths) rather than the actual townland.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.

"I am particularly interested in my maternal line and I would be grateful if you could take a look at names and dates to see if you think I am on the right line?"
What maternal line? Darraghs? McKillens?

As with all research you need to start with known facts and then carefully work back through available records step by step to prevent yourself from following the wrong family.

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 April 12 18:54 BST (UK) »
My maternal line is Agnes Mckillen 17/12/1915 in Springburn, Lanarkshire - Sarah Barnes 1881 in Glasgow,Lanarkshire,Scotland - Bridgit O'Neil 1841 in Ireland - Ann Malin abt 1816 - Catherine Donnelly 22 Oct 1797 in Drum, Roscommon, Ireland - Margaret Owens abt 1770

I have got this information from lds

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 April 12 19:04 BST (UK) »
Is that a list of your maternal ancestor, their mother. etc.? The earliest link mentioned is "Bridgit O'Neil 1841 in Ireland" and then what seems to be 2 generations later a mention of Co. Roscommon.

To trace Irish ancestors before the start of civil registration, as in this case, you need to know the family's religion and where they lived to see if any church records exist.

Still don't understand where the connection to Ellen McKillen and Joseph Darragh is supposed to come in.

Offline MissBea

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 April 12 19:09 BST (UK) »
Ellen is the paternal aunt of Agnes.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 April 12 19:11 BST (UK) »
Ellen is the paternal aunt of Agnes.
Makes more sense now. Are you trying to trace Ellen or the McKillen family then? or were you just wanting to know about happened to Ellen's daughter?