Author Topic: Thomas TURNBULL - Merchant of Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland.  (Read 27254 times)

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
  • One-Half of Dancing-Duo Waltzing Through 'TARDIS'.
    • View Profile
Thomas TURNBULL - Merchant of Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland.
« on: Thursday 19 May 05 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hello to all RootsChat Members,

Has anyone come across any information regarding a Thomas TURNBULL (Merchant of Hawick) who married Jean VEITCH apparently in 1813.

They had 4 children all born in Hawick, Roxburghshire, Sct., all prior to 1820.

Thomas TURNBULL (ch. 28th Aug. 1888)
We just cannot find out where he was married or when he died.

Jeanette H.

One-Half Of 'Dancing-Duo' Waltzing Through Time & Space. 
Researching To Find Lots Of Things Not To Do.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE
Roxburghshire, Sct.: TURNBULL / VEITCH /  ELLIOT / MURRAY
Aberdeenshire, Sct.: WATT / MITCHELL
England: TOPPING / MEDLEY
Ireland: MORROW
Australia: BROWN / BAIRD / TURNBULL / WATT / TOPPING / MORROW / MEDLEY / TACKI
Germany: ECKHARDT / HUBNER / TACKI

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas TURNBULL - Merchant of Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 May 05 12:54 BST (UK) »
Have you tried any census checks to confirm Thomas' date and place of birth?  I am tracing Turnbulls in London and have found the name is frequently badly mispelt - so far Charles Thacker Turnbull has turned up under the alias of Charles L Turnouer and Charles Trumble and Trundle!  Good luck.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 May 05 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hello ggrocott,

Thank you for your reply.  I believe that not many, if any Censuses,  were taken during the years that I am possibly researching with my Thomas TURNBULL.

Jeanette H.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 June 05 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there...have you tried reading the OPR films that the LDS family history centers either have or can order in  for you,that would cover your dates in question?
This is one of the most reliable ways for correct research that I have found.
I will look through what I have on M.I.s and see if anything rings a bell.
Were the Elliot and Murray persons married ,if so what were their given names and aprox dates?
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 June 05 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hello ajjbc,

Thank you for your interest in my 'TURNBULLs' etc.

The TURNBULL / VEITCH information I have is from the websites 'FamilySearch', 'Scotland's People', and various other sources.
The children of Thomas TURNBULL & Jane (Jean) VEITCH (b 1791), were Jane (b1815), Elizabeth (b1816), George (b1818), Jane Elliot (b1820).

Re: ELLIOT / MURRAY
Were the Elliot and Murray persons married ,if so what were their given names and aprox dates?

As far as we know, the ELLIOT & MURRAY families were not connected directly by marriage, only indirectly as you will see by the following names.

The parents of Jean VEITCH, were John VEITCH (Spittal Mill) & Jean ELLIOT (Knowsouth), (marr. 1790)

Parents of Thomas TURNBULL, were George TURNBULL & Elizabeth (Betty) WILSON, (marr. 17--?)

The parents of John VEITCH, were James VEITCH & Elizabeth (Betty) MURRAY (marr. 1756).     

The parents of Jean ELLIOT ? [father was possibly either a William ELLIOT (Bedrule), or Robert ELLIOT (Southdean), as the birthdates for Jean appear relevant] [mother Not Known].   
The father of James VEITCH, was John VEITCH,  mother Not Known.

The parents of Elizabeth (Betty) MURRAY, were John Murray & Jane HENDERSON (marr. 1734).
Any assistance much appreciated.
Thanking you,
Jeanette H.

Research Names & Areas:

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 02:08 BST (UK) »
going over your problem...off the top of my head ...#!I would suggest that you read the 1841 census of Hawick,if you think they were there...there is a VERY good chance you will find them.The parents could well be alive and most of the children still at home.
..#2..read the OPR's for that time frame...from Hawick and if they are not there expand outwards to try other parishes.,Wilton would be my next choice as it is across the river.

From years of experience I now know that:
  what is on the IGI you need to be carefull of...if it is an extraction,ok.If it is submitted,be careful and check the original sources (OPRS) and census where possible.

I will keep my eyes open...and also recheck the M.I. and see if there is any bells that ring.

IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there,went through the material I had and found no combinations of the posted names...sorry

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 22:50 BST (UK) »
Errmm

I know this may seem a bit odd but I am sure I came across several Turnbulls in the Churchyard at Hobkirk whilst I was there photographing my relation gravestones

Andrew
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

Offline Dogcatcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 December 05 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I can't match any of the first names you mention though I do have the same surnames >>TURNBULL / VEITCH /  ELLIOT / MURRAY<< in the same area. Have a look at www.sewellgenealogy.com and see if anything rings a BELL - That's a family I need more on <g>