Author Topic: The Hibberts of North Leverton  (Read 6948 times)

Offline lastpost

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Hibberts of North Leverton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 December 14 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Well I know that some kept going.
"Charlie Hibbert" was actually John Charles HIBBERT, born 2 May 1892, and although he died 'early' - on 3 February 1927 - he had three children, now all deceased, but currently survived by four grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.

Offline lastpost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 December 14 20:27 GMT (UK) »
And an explanation for why some searches may have been frustrating, is that William HIBBERT, born 12 December 1843, was actually "HIBBERD" according the Certified Copy of the Birth, but was "HIBBERT" according to the Certified Copy of the Marriage, 3 October 1872.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you don't have these....
Baptism at North Leverton
14-12-1843 William son of William and Hannah HIBBERT abode North Leverton father a cottager.
Baptism Scrooby
29-5-1892 John Charles son of William and Mary HIBBERD abode Scrooby father a foreman
The Scrooby William and Mary baptised children under both spellings.
William and Hannah only baptised with the HIBBERT spelling.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline lastpost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 23:39 GMT (UK) »
I have some more information on the MASTIN connection to the HIBBERTs.

Susannah ASHTON (b 1828 according to Census information) married Joseph MASTIN in 1849; she was aunt of Mary ASHTON (b 1851) who married William HIBBERD (b 1842) (later known as HIBBERT).  Judging by the Census records for Joseph and Susannah it seems they did not have any children of their own, so one presumes that using it as a 'given name' amongst the HIBBERTs was a way of preserving it.

Oh, and by the way, I have just come across a photograph of William HIBBERD (b 1842) and his wife Mary ASHTON (b 1851) that from the look of them dates from around 1905-1910.