Author Topic: Nurses' Home?  (Read 1818 times)

Offline scuda-j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nurses' Home?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 April 12 10:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those links  Valda - in fact I've already exhausted most of them, just about the only thing left is the records of particular hospitals, which is why I was trying to pinpoint which one(s) to look at.

Jane
PITMAN (Glos - Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Stow, Tewkesbury, Cirencester, etc)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 April 12 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jane

If you've exhausted the various lists, I think that it might be worth scouring the local newspapers in the area that she died in for an obituary, as I suggested last evening. I have found much valuable information about relatives this way.

If you can't get to one of the local libraries and if you think she might have warranted an obit in The Times, you could try  the Times Archive, via Gale newspaper archives* (as a member of a library, you would probably get access) or the new newspaper site http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk  I'm not sure if your local newspapers would be covered yet as the project is 'ongoing'

I've also contacted local libraries directly and they have usually been very helpful; sending me copies of obituaries for the cost of a photocopy and postage.

gnu

* amended to append 'archives'
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline scuda-j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 April 12 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi gnu. I did check the Glos papers from around the time of her death and found nothing, but now you've given me a push I'll try again. The British Newspaper Archive hasn't got far enough to be of help, but when it gets there it will be a good check against my scouring of newsprint on microfilm! There's no sign of anything in The Times, but I wouldn't really have expected there to be.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement.

Jane

PITMAN (Glos - Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Stow, Tewkesbury, Cirencester, etc)