Author Topic: Goodenough family in war borough  (Read 9837 times)

Offline Nickg010

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Goodenough family in war borough
« on: Sunday 29 April 12 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have tracked my family back to warborough Oxford and until today I was stuck. I believe I have found the marriage of john Goodenough to Elizabeth took place in 1808. They had a son William in 1812.
At the moment I can't find any records for john Goodenough, in particular birth details, can any body help.
I did visit the church in Dorchester near warborough a couple of years ago and saw a Goodenough listed as a previous vicar in about 1770.
I am a little vague on that because I am at the moment in USA on holiday and do not have all my records with me.
Any help appreciated
Nick

Offline dave-the-rave

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Goodenough family in war borough
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 April 12 17:16 BST (UK) »
hi nick ive found a john born about 1772 warborough it has his father as edward and mother as elizabeth stite on f,s.org if it helps dave
willmore,clark,hedley

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 12 19:35 BST (UK) »
I can't find any Goodenoughs listed under Warborough or Dorchester in your time frame at www.theclergydatabase.org.uk,but,as usual, "the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence".Perhaps you could re-check.
Curiously there is a John Joseph Goodenough listed for Wanborough(Wiltshire?) in 1808,and it is not very far away.
Should he prove relevant for any reason,he is listed with biographical details(and his father/grandfather at least?) in the "Alumni of Oxford University" on Ancestry.

Regards
Roger

Offline Nickg010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
hi nick ive found a john born about 1772 warborough it has his father as edward and mother as elizabeth stite on f,s.org if it helps dave
Hi, I am new to this, could you I've me the link to f,s.org please.
That would make him 36 when he got married and 42 when his son was born so I am not sure it is the same guy, but I will try to check him out
Nick

Offline dave-the-rave

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 April 12 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to this, could you I've me the link to f,s.org please.
That would make him 36 when he got married and 42 when his son was born so I am not sure it is the same guy, but I will try to check him out
Nick
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Home/Welcome/home.asp
willmore,clark,hedley

Offline jamajo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My lovely gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 April 12 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,

From OFHS Warborough PRs
Baptism

7 June 1772 John Goodenough son of Edward and Elizabeth

I am also related to this family as my grandmother was dau of James Goodenough and Agnes Sarah Lloyd. James was b 28 Jan 1862 in Warborough. His father was Charles Goodenough who married Mary Ann Beisley. On my records i have a John as father to Charles...

Sue :)
Norris  ( Somerset, Oxfordshire )
Evans  ( Berkshire )
Goodenough ( Berkshire )
Lloyd  ( Berkshire, Canada)
Dance ( Berkshire, Portsea, USA, )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nickg010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 April 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue
Looks like we are related.
John born 1772 married Elizabeth in 1811 and had a child William in 1812 in Warborough. William married Mary Ann Glossop in 1834 and had George in 1835.
The disappeared from records and were not in the 1841 census. we think that they were on a canal boat to Birmingham where they reappeared in the 1851 census living in New Street Birmingham where George was a tailors runner.
George is my great great grand father And the names George, Charles (dad) William all feature in the tree I am running back.
I have been to Dorchester and Warborough and it was in Dorchster church that I saw a Goodenough vicar about 1770.
I am following back the fathers and am at (I think) Edward who married Joan Brice in 1684 in Buscot Berkshire. I am pretty sure of that link now.
where are you?
Nick

Offline jamajo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My lovely gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 April 12 17:48 BST (UK) »

Have you got all the children for John and Elizabeth ? Here are the baptisms fom Warborough incase you dont have them.

7 Jun 1812 William
8 Jan 1815 John
16 Mar 1817 Mary Ann
26 Sep 1819 Joseph
21 Apr 1822 Sarah
5 Dec 1824 James
1 Apr 1827 Elizabeth
Jan 3 1830 Charles

Charles and Mary Ann Beisley had 14 children which is the line i was following....say was as i have been busy on my other side of my family for some time now.
Can i ask where John and Elizabeth married as i dont have that info Nick.

I have got these burials from Warborough....

24 Oct 1848 John Goodenough age 65
16 Apr 1868 Elizabeth Goodenough age 81

If i can be of help more just ask Nick and its nice to know we might be related..

Sue

Norris  ( Somerset, Oxfordshire )
Evans  ( Berkshire )
Goodenough ( Berkshire )
Lloyd  ( Berkshire, Canada)
Dance ( Berkshire, Portsea, USA, )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 April 12 18:24 BST (UK) »
I think there might be an intervening generation,as the family you describe is at HO 107 881 21/11 17 in 1841 with children from Sarah down and Joseph next door.
John's birth is given as 1791,but as the ages were rounded(down) generally to the nearest 5,it could be between 1787and 1791.This could leave John(circa 1772) as the father of this John,who would have been between 17 and 24 if he married in 1808-1811.
Regards
Roger