Author Topic: Goodenough family in war borough  (Read 9830 times)

Offline Nickg010

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Goodenough family in war borough
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 June 12 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi sue
Sorry for the delay, I was in USA when I posted, and since returning I have been busy.
I regret at this stage the best info I have is that john married Elizabeth in 1811, this is the Elizabeth that was born about 1776.
At this point I am confused with the number of johns and Edwards I have and I feel the need for a large table and an even bigger sheet of paper.
Somebody posted I think that there was no note of a vicar Dorchester, well I have a photo of the board in the church entitled Curates and Titular vicars of the abbey, Edmund Goodenough listed for 1785 (one year only)

Offline Nickg010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 June 12 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi again
OK, I have john and Elizabeth as being married in 1811, but not sure where. I would guess either Dorchester or Warborough, but it is a guess although I would be pretty sure it is correct.

I have got back to Edward, born 1658, married Joan(e) Brice 8.6.1684. They were married in Buscot which then was classed as Berkshire but since 1974 I think is part of Oxford. Buscot is next door to Lechlade, but more importantly next to Broadwell and Kelmscott where the Goodenough family had been Yeoman farmer (whatever that is) for generations before they moved to Broughton in the 17 century
william Goodenough leased the manor from the earl of Orkney and having obtained the avdvowson, installed his second son , also William, as vicar.Williams son went on to be Bishop of Carlisle.
I am stuck at the moment, I need to find the parents of Edward who was born 1658, about. I have a suspicion, but it is that, that he might have been the son of Edmund Goodenough and his wife Mary. Edmund was born 1640.
Any ideas, my searches so far have failed
Nick

Offline tflake

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 June 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
Nick,

If you have traced Goodenough fathers' side to 1684 do you have the baptism of Edward who married Elizabeth Stite/Staite in Warborough in 1769. I and a few others have been looking for this for years.

Thanks

Trevor

Offline cliveharry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
Some time has passed since the conversation about the parents of Edward Goodenough born in Buscot about 1658.  I wonder if anyone has made any progress.  I have explored all the avenues I can think of  and need some help!
Many thanks
Clive Harry