Author Topic: MUSSEN and associated families  (Read 24407 times)

hollyhenry

MUSSEN and associated families
« on: Tuesday 17 January 12 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have been researching the MUSSEN family in Ireland for almost 10 years now. I have lots of "extra" Mussens that I am trying to fit into the main tree. They centered around Lisburn, Derriaghy, Dromore, and Belfast.
I have had some success by searching associated families to link my extras.
If anyone has any Mussen information- direct or indirect - I'd be grateful. Some of the surnames that were used as first or middle names were: ALLEN, CAMAC, CARLETON, CLOSE, CHRISTIAN, JOHNSTON, MURDOCH, NEILL, ROBERTS, SEEDS, WARING, WHITLA and WILLIS. Mussen was also used as a middle name in some families.

I have a fair amount of bapt, marr, and burial records for Derriaghy and Lisburn focused on Mussen but there are the spouses names there too. I would love to share information regarding any of these families in these areas or even just to share information generally about families there. There was much intermarrying, etc., so there must be some links to be found somewhere!!

Thank you! I look forward to sharing!!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MUSSEN and associated families
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    There are several Mussens listed in the PRONI Wills which may help. See http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've sent you a PM.

Regards,
Aljepeka
HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 13:45 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if I have offered you this information before. 
MUSSEN manuscript family trees exist in the following volumes   :- 23 Lisburn, 33, 63 (Allen) + Two items, 90 Hillhall,  92 Lisburn. These volumes form part of the Blackwood Family history manuscript trees in LinenHall library, Belfast.  The same collection’s index may give you useful references on the other surnames mentioned.
I suggest you ask them for photocopying estimates if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing. However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds. Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, Telephone: +44 (0)28 9032 1707,  Fax: +44 (0)28 9043 8586, Email:info[at]linenhall.com. Note: please replace [at] with @.

My middle name is Whitla emanating from Co Monaghan, can I search for your connection?
Good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

hollyhenry

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Wow!
Thank you for all the help already. I will follow up with these suggestions!! Yay!!

hollyhenry

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 23:56 GMT (UK) »
8586, Email:info@linenhall.com.

My middle name is Whitla emanating from Co Monaghan, can I search for your connection?
Good luck, Jim

The Whitla reference I have is fairly old and from Lisburn Cathedral - George Whitla Mussen born Feb 1, 1826 and baptised Feb 19, 1826. Son of Thomas Mussen and Jane Greer. Do you think it is the same Whitla family?

Thank you!

Offline Magheragall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 January 12 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Rev John Mussen M.A. 1825 Rector Of Magheragall Lisburn

He also was a scholar of T.C.D., 1819, and must have been a curate in the South of Ireland, as he was ordained priest at Cloyne in 1825. He was a relative of Dr Mussen, of Glenavy, was married to Henrietta Garrett, of Magheragall, and lived in the cottage that formerly stood on the site of the new graveyard. During his time the present church was built in 1831. From Magheragall he removed to the parish of Kilmore, Co. Down, in 1846, where he died in 1866, aged 68. He was a diligent worker, especially among the children, and is said to have instituted daily services at Kilmore, which were not appreciated by the people. He was buried within a railing in the northwest part of the graveyard, close to the railing round his predecessor’s grave, but in neither case is there any inscription.

This is an extract from an unpublished history.

yours
magheragall

Offline Magheragall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 January 12 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

On Glenavyhistory webiste the following can be found for free down load

The Life and Times of Dr. Arthur Mussen M.D., J.P. Glenavy, County Antrim 1842 - 1931
by The Digger
The Digger has launched a new 116 page publication on the life and times of Dr. Mussen, compiled from miscellaneous newspaper extracts and other local sources including the Orange Lodge records of L.O.L. 227 in Glenavy.

The chapters of this book are now available for download:

yours

Magheragall

hollyhenry

« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 January 12 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Magheragall,

I have quite a bit of information about Rev. John Mussen. Have  you ever heard of a Rev. Robert Mussen? I am told was a curate of Magheragall? He is supposed to be the son of Robert Mussen of Derriaghy who died ~1705. I have no real proof of either statement.

I was also given this information, but again with no proof:
Roberts Mussen's 2 sisters settled at Glenavy near the Lough - one married Dr. Campbell, dissolute old man, died. She went to live with his people in Magheragall who called son Mussen after her.
Roberts Mussen was the first curate of Primate Alexander

Any ideas??