Author Topic: 1841Canada census lookup please!!  (Read 2105 times)

Offline jdoliver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841Canada census lookup please!!
« on: Monday 30 April 12 20:52 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate anyone who has access to Canada province census to look up Samuel Fraser (possibly Frazier), possibly married at that time to Marguerite Wilson. He was born in Scotland (ca 1781?), but emigrated to Canada, and was in Christieville and St. Jean, in the mid-1800s. VERY much appreciated, as he is a brick wall . . .

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841Canada census lookup please!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 April 12 22:15 BST (UK) »
The earliest Canada census available is 1851/2. Have you found him on this one? If not, you can search for free at automatedgenealogy.com (RC won't let me post a direct link today).

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jdoliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 April 12 23:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying Polarbear; yes, the information I have is from the 1851 census. My understanding is there are partial records from earlier years, and I was hoping someone could find something on any of these. Jim

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 00:16 BST (UK) »
Ah, I had forgotten about these little tidbits.

familysearch.org has Canada, Lower Canada Census, 1842 and Canada, Lower Canada Census, 1831. RootsChat won't allow me to make a direct link to the website but if you go to it and then click on Canada then scroll down you will find them.

You can also access them through the Canada National Archives website, under census ... RC won't let me make a direct link to that either. It puts you directly through to the familysearch records in question. These will be free to use.

Polarbear

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jdoliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 00:46 BST (UK) »
Googled these, but had no success; you're encouragement will drive me on! Thanks again Polarbear!
Jim

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 17:57 BST (UK) »
Did you mean you couldn't find the familysearch.org website, couldn't find the records when you got to it, or your man wasn't there?

There appear to be 4 Fraser/Frasier in the 1842 record, one of which was absent, 1 a physician, 1 a merchant of some sort, and 1 a shoemaker. The record is a head of household only plus the number of occupants.

I didn't check the 1831 record.

PB