Author Topic: Edwards in Froncysyllte  (Read 12182 times)

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edwards in Froncysyllte
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 00:17 BST (UK) »
I found a Charles Edwards, married, labourer, of right age in 1861, living with his brother-in-law Ishmael? and sister Hannah Lloyd, in Wern, Rhosllanerchrugog (Moreton Above)

Says born Whittington ca 1829

could be the Lloyd connection?

RG9 Piece 4282 Folio 68 Page 4

Whittington is on the canal so this could be an alternative birth, maybe he wasn't born in the Vron after all. Problem is I've not found any reference to a sister Hannah!

The census returns for the presumed parents Edward & Sarah list children as
Charles (abt 1829-97), Edward (abt 1830), Harriet (abt 1832), Sarah (abt 1834) and Ann (abt 1842).
There's a listing on the IGI for an Edward birth & baptism (presumed sibling of Charles) born July 1829, christened 14th Dec 1831     Glan-Yr-Afon Independent Or Congregational, Llangollen, Denbigh, Wales
    IGI. Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type: C101691 1811 - 1837 0815979 (RG4 3865) Film NONE Sheet: 00

Father Edward, mother Sarah Clarke. It seems quite a strong contender for Charles' brother.
Oxfordshire: SHAYLER, HERN,
Gloucestershire: MEADOWS, HERBERT,
Worcestershire: GRIFFIN, WOOD,
Denbighshire: WILLIAMS, JAMES, EDWARDS, DAVIES.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 00:19 BST (UK) »
Humph  - it would have been a good match.

I don't think that any of the baptisms that have so far been found are correct.  If anyone is using FindMyPast for Llangollen records, note that they don't have all of them and some of the indexing is 100 years out*

I'll check my  personal Llangollen/Chirk and Ruabon records tomorrow.

gnu

* the marriage of 3 x grt grandparents of mine is indexed as 1920 when they actually married in 1820. I then checked a whole batch and found the same type of error.

PS - Pimpernel - I think you should read William's postings which came in just before you!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 00:22 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Gnu, I've a number of ideas to work on in the meantime.

Can I just say I'm truely grateful for all the help from everyone, I'm very much in your debt.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 00:24 BST (UK) »
How disaappointing  :(

Is this a possible for Sarah in 1861, a cook, at Llwyn y cil, Chirk, with 4 month old son Charles?

RG9 Piece 1880 Folio 77 Page 15

or have you found them elsewhere?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 00:33 BST (UK) »
There is a fairly detailed tree on Ancestry giving his parents as Edward Edwards and Sarah Clarke.

(shelley/williams tree)

Added - quite few trees actually  ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 00:37 BST (UK) »
The Edward Edwards baptism looks good,the Blackwell Index CD list he was born 07/07/1829,so quite old when baptised.The only other baptism I can see to the same parents is a Thomas Edwards baptised 27/08/1828 and born 08/05/1828.

Regards
William Russsell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 00:39 BST (UK) »
Trees mentioned are also available  via Mundia if you don't have Ancestry access.

http://www.mundia.com/gb/

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 10:29 BST (UK) »
Good Morning one and all  ;D

I've checked my own parish records and, as expected, couldn't find a baptism for Charles. If the family were Congregationalists and he wasn't baptised at Glanravon, I'm not sure where it would be (William knows more about non-cs than me!). No other obvious baptism on Blackwell.

However, I did find a marriage in my Ruabon records that looks promising:

Ruabon 27 Dec 1824 Edward Edwards, of the parish of Llangollen, and Sarah Clarke, of this parish. Witnesses were Robert Jones and Elizabeth Jones.

gnu

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gnu, the wedding looks like the one for Edward Edwards and Sarah Clarke.

The tree you noticed on Ancestry is mine actually! Virtually all the other trees with the same information have simply copied data from mine, so arn't of much help in this respect.

There's  a degree of assuming in some of the conclusions I've made on the tree which I'm trying to clear up with hard evidence, which comes back to my initial query. I'm in the situation where I think I know who the parents of Charles Edwards are, but am lacking the documentary proof to make it certain, and because of that I can't really move any further with the line.

The only absolutely clear facts are that his father was Edward Edwards, a boatman. I'm assuming that the only recorded Edward Edwards boatman in the Vron, with his wife Sarah, living a few door away from Charles and next door to his future wife, are in fact his parents. This is a reasonable assumption I think!

If that's so, then the children listed with Edward & Sarah are his siblings.
I selected Sarah Clarke as Charles' mother as it seemed the most likely, based on the birth record of Edward (brother) in Llangollen, however I'm not sure now. As William has pointed out, there is another birth record for a Thomas to the same parents, though I can't identify a Thomas in the family listed with Edward and Sarah. Equally, I've had no luck finding definite birth records for the other children listed with Edward & Sarah in the censuses. I have been limited to the IGI however. There are only a couple of potential listings, but all a very long way from the Vron, and only one even vaguely near the canal.