Author Topic: Miss G MACCOLL, Porthleven, Helston  (Read 3755 times)

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Miss G MACCOLL, Porthleven, Helston
« on: Tuesday 01 May 12 20:45 BST (UK) »
I have an old photgraph of St Mary's Scottish Episcopal Church in Glencoe, Argyllshire, just after it was built in 1880. On the back of the photo is written "From Miss G MacColl c/o Rev E. Gotto (?) Porthleven Vicarage, Helston, Cornwall".
I have been trying for some years now to discover who Miss MacColl was. Does anybody remember having seen a gravestone for her or any other mention of her in that parish in Cornwall?
I have Glencoe MacColls among my ancestors and would dearly love to know if this lady was related.
abrach1

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Miss G MacColl, Porthleven, Helston
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 22:16 BST (UK) »
hi,,in the 1881 census  for:  39, Thorngate Rd, Paddington
there is a Getrude A M McColl ,,Her father Malcom is a curate b Scotland ??
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Miss G MacColl, Porthleven, Helston
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 15:33 BST (UK) »
The Rev. Edward Thornton Gotto was Vicar of Porthleven, but not until 1933 (http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk has an article on his appointment).

Gertrude A(nnie) M(aria) MacColl b. 1872 daughter of Malcolm may have passed away unmarried in 1967 in Shropshire.

http://www.greatwarci.net/honour/jersey/database/maccoll-mg-arrasrd.htm
 - her brother died in WWI. In his Australian war records there is a note saying his will leaves everything to his sister, Gertrude Annie Maria MacColl, who was at that time living in Glasgow.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jackhonour

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Miss G MACCOLL, Porthleven, Helston
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 22:21 BST (UK) »
It is worth noting Porthleven has 3 or 4 different Churches so there could be more than one vicarage

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 September 12 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

In 1901 Gertrude Annie M McColl , b 1872, London Middlesex, is living with her parents at The Rectory, in New Kilpatrick, Dumbartonshire. She's a teacher of music. In 1891 they are in the same place , address: Park View.

There is a Edward Robert Gotto b 1851, Brentford, Middlesex who is living at the Braunton Vicarage, Barnstaple, Devon as a clergyman in 1911. He's there in 1901 (transcribed as Gotte) and 1891 (transcribed as Edwars Robert Gotts), as the Vicar.

In 1881 he is the Rector living at the Rectory in Bridford, Devon.

I can't see any E. Gotto in Cornwall.

I wonder if Gertrude's father and Edward Robert Gotto knew each other when in London?

Not sure if this could relate but in 1871 Malcolm McColl (b 1842)is the senr? Curate St Giles Camberwell at the same time Edward R Gotto is something in Cambl
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rutler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Rev Edward Thornton GOTTO (Later Canon GOTTO) was vicar at Porthleven from 1933. Bryan Forbes the actor (born John Clarke) was an evacuee in his house and said that it was the library of the cultured Rev Gotto that helped educate him.  In 1939 the Vicarage was in an Edwardian house "Pendower", Pendeen Road, Porthleven although there is an older vicarage in Porthleven in The Crescent.

Oh and there was only one CHURCH  but at least two chapels: Methodists and Brianites. Now (20th Century) there is also an Apostolic Church.