Author Topic: Fisher and Craigie, where's Peter  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fisher and Craigie, where's Peter
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 March 13 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jay, Yes I have looked on line, I do not query Catherine Crerar is the daughter of Alex Crerar and Janet McEwen, but nowhere can I find evidence that her husband Peter Fisher who was born 1796 was the son of William Fisher & Christian/Catherine Craigie.  Their son Peter was born 1798, we have verified that with the Church Records. Our "Peter" also born 1798.
We have looked on Ancestry.com but we also find some people have their Peter down too as the son of William Fisher & Christian Craigie but we cannot agree.
I still feel that the Peter Fisher who married Catherine Crerar is the son of Duncan Fisher & Kat. McDiamid but cannot prove it. Except that they disappear from the Census and are not listed in the Deaths in Scotland.   Whereby our "Peter" died in Ayrshire.  (There is a family history of Duncan & Kat online).
We will just have to keep digging I think, thank you Jay for your input, hope it might help you too. Annie

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 March 13 14:23 GMT (UK) »
As a point of interest why are you discounting what was on his death certificate?Who was the provider of info/witness?
Having now looked at the document I see he is shown as born in Monzie.I can also see the naming convention for the children were a fairly conventional first two paternal grandparents  then the maternal grandmother then the mother then the maternal grandfather then the father.Informant was the son in law.
I would think the Monzie birth wasn't recorded.Not unusual for the period.
I assume you have the details of his Muthill marriage?

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 March 13 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cambron, We have found his marriage in 1822, it only states intention to marry on the 14th July and 21st July, but it does not give an actual marriage date.  Though LDS has listed 21st July, 1822.
Cannot find Peter anywhere before that date.  We know they lived in Gilmerton and he worked as a stonebreaker we assume for the Cultoquhey estate as there is a Peter Fisher listed there in 1826. Their children were christened at Monzie Church, not the first two because I think the Church did not begin again until about 1830. I know we should accept that his parents were John Fisher & Margaret Robertson but we can't find them.  There was 4 John Fishers m Margaret Robertsons and we have searched them but cannot make any of those 4 fit. Margaret Robertson was still alive on Peter's DC, so we also searched and found a Margaret Murray had married a John Fisher, then much later Margaret Murray married a George Robertson, but was left with no proof of anything.  So my efforts of searching all the Peter Fishers who were born in Perthshire and following them all resulted in one left over born to William Fisher & Christian Craigie, feel this is my last resort.  Thank you for your interest and any suggestions would be very much appreciates, Annie

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 March 13 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Not sure why you can't accept what we understand about Scottish Social History.
The poor did not necessarily register their marriages or their children with the local Minister.It cost them money!
I think the evidence in the death certificate is self consistent.If you can't accept it then so be it.RIP

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Fisher and Craigie, where's Peter (Completed)
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 March 13 00:51 GMT (UK) »
O.K. Cambron, We will accept it, then we also have to accept we can go no further back, I already have brick walls on 7 Irish lines so that is that it then, another brick wall.  I did not get as far as I have with that attitude. I believe that if you can find one very small detail it can lead you maybe in the right direction, as I thought that that missing Peter Fisher might have done, sadly no-one seems to know his details for sure.
 Thank you to everyone for your input, any input can be helpful.
Though don't get me wrong, I will be still filling a few gaps before I put that brick wall up,  Annie

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 March 13 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I think having accepted the info in the death certificate I would look in the Kirk Session Records for Monzie, Muthill and probably Tibbermore.Sometimes events are recorded there which aren't in the OPRs and if the family was on poor relief then that's where they will be.
The Session Records are on the electronic terminals at the National Archives in Edinburgh.Not sure if they are available elsewhere.Perhaps someone else on here can advise.
In passing is there a connection to the Fisher/Robertson couple in Tibbermore?Married 1816.
Have you looked at every Fisher family in Perthshire in the 18th century with a John and Peter(Patrick) in it.Sometimes missing a generation gives a clear pointer to the family you are looking for.

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 March 13 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cambron, Have looked at Kirk sessions for Monzie, not Muthill. Tibbermore couple - John was 9 years older than Peter so at one time thought he could be a brother but his parents etc did not connect. Will see about sessions for Tibbermore just in case.
Certainly will look again back couple of generations, they had called a daughter Janet so another name I could search back for.
Will check back with my distant cousin in USA, descendant of Peter's son Thomas (found her 12 years ago) as she was the one that looked at the Kirk sessions.
Thank you for your suggestions and time, it all inspires us to have another go. Annie