Author Topic: Ada Twyman of Margate  (Read 11547 times)

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ada Twyman of Margate
« on: Wednesday 02 May 12 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all.  Perhaps someone can help me, as I'm banging my head against the desk with frustration over this one. :p  I've been trying to trace the ancestors of an Ada Twyman who later in life emigrated to Montreal in Canada, where in 1908 she married an Ernest Simpson.  In her marriage entry she's noted to be the daughter of Henry Twyman & Lillian May Dike of Ramsgate in Kent.  Unfortunately I'm not able to find any trace of this couple at all anywhere outside of this marriage entry!
However I do have Ada on the 1911 Canadian census which gives her as born in 1888, and there are entries for an Ada Twyman on both 1891 and 1901 over here for an Ada born in Margate in the same year...but unfortunately she's not with her parents on either return.  There is no trace of her on the 1911 UK census.
I've received in the post this morning the only birth certificate for an Ada Twyman in Thanet for the year she was born (1888), which gives her as the daughter of Lily Twyman (a barmaid) with no father listed.
Now, would people agree it's possible that she's been a bit economical with the truth, as it were, at marriage, and she's swapped around the surnames of her parents?  Lily is quite close to Lillian, although I don't really like the idea of shoe-horning it together without any evidence.  Otherwise any advice on where to go next would be appreciated, as this has exhausted my 9-years of experience unfortunately.  :(
Many thanks.
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Ada Twyman of Margate
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you found this Twyman family on 1871 census?

Henry and wife Elizabeth with 4 Twyman children (including a 2 yr old Lily) plus 3 Dike step-children (including 14 yr old John).  Living in Margate.

RG10   993   22  2

A connection possibly?    :-\

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hmm Lily Twyman a barmaid.  I wonder if there was some intermingling with the families on the census nanny jan has found  :-X
Has to be a connection with both those surnames in the mix.

2 year old Lily ends up in London 1891 with her sister and is a vocalist.  Her mother was a Dike so it is possible Ada did amalgamate parents names.  Hard to tell isn't it.  I read recently people often put down grandfathers names on marriage or make up names to save face.  I have come across a made up one myself.

Just a guess but I would surmise Lily was her mother Henry her grandfather. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 16:59 BST (UK) »
I concur with nanny jan and Millepede.

Marriage Reg;
Elizabeth Ann DIKE, Sept 1864, Thanet, 2a 1070
Henry William TWYMAN on same page

1861 Census Elizabeth A Dike, born c 1831 Margate, is with Husband John in Margate. John c 1857 and Siblings are there also.

Marriage;
John DIKE, Dec 1854, Thanet, 2a 1066
Elizabeth Ann BARTLETT on same page

Death Reg for a John DIKE, Dec 1862, Thanet, 2a 417

Elizabeth Ann BARTLETT was Christened 26 Nov 1831, St John, Margate, Kent to THOMAS/SARAH (Familysearch.Org)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 17:02 BST (UK) »
Travelling on the same ticket .............. aboard the Lake Champlain destined for Montreal arriving 24 Sep 1907 Quebec.

Rose JACKSON 38 married shopkeeper b.Kent
Ethel JACKSON unm 18 cashier b.London
Ada TYMAN 19 unm domestic b.Kent
Thomas JACKSON 20 unm porter b.London

The JACKSON family have a connection with the Opera and Ramsgate which looks good for links to Lily (the singer) in London .............

1901 Whistler Street, Islington, London

George JACKSON head mar 45 digging labourer b.Islington
Rose wife 34 b.Canterbury
Thomas E son 12 b.Islington
Ethel dau 10 b.Islington
RG13/202 folio 130 page 30

1891 32 Ellwood Street, Islington, London

George JACKSON head mar 39 supernumery R E Opera b.London
Rose wife married 25 b.Canterbury
Thomas E son 3 b.Islington
Ethel dau 9m b.Islington
Rose CARLTON niece 2 b.Ramsgate
RG12/175 folio 21 page 38

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 17:21 BST (UK) »
1841/1851 Census Elizabeth Ann is under Ann only, with Parents Thomas/Sarah in Margate, Thomas is a Mariner.
HO107/468/4/St John The Baptist Margate
Thomas Bartlett    41, Mariner
Sarah Bartlett    43
Samuel Bartlett    17
Thomas Bartlett    15
Susanna Bartlett    13
Ann Bartlett    10
Mann Bartlett    7
Sarah Bartlett    5
John Bartlett    3
Eliza Bartlett    1

1851 Census Sarah is Widowed;
HO107/1629/347/15

Now here is a surprise :D
SAMUEL TWYMAN Bartlett Christened 14 Dec 1823, St John, Margate to THOMAS/SARAH
THOMAS TWYMAN Bartlett 30 Oct 1825
(all the other Childrens Christenings that match Census are there too on F/S.Org)

Thomas BARTLETT Married Sarah TWYMAN, 22 Nov 1822, St John, Margate, Kent
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 19:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies all.  I was at work when I posting my inquiry, so was naturally divorced from my file...although I'm not sure I'd have noticed the Dike connections if I'm honest.  Very much appreciated. :)
I do suspect that the Lily who was the daughter of Henry William Twyman & Elizabeth Ann Dike (nee Bartlett...interestingly her parents were Thomas Bartlett and Sarah Twyman, so it does get very interesting as Henry & Elizabeth share a set of grandparents - but I digress).
It's strange, though, to me that Ada isn't with any family on 1891 or 1901...I have her on RG12/729 9/11 in 5 Belle View Cottages Margate with the family of a Mr. John Blows (down as a boarder) and on RG13/826 86/22 in 3 Mount Pleasant Cottages Ramsgate as a visitor with a Mrs Sarah Jane Stock.  Perhaps, though, that may explain away a little confusion with the parents...maybe that's as best as she knew them.

With the Lily the singer, I believed she was the daughter of John Crow Twyman & Rosetta Aaron Jessell.  John Crow Twyman was a photographic artist in Ramsgate, and I did think that the sister Miriam that she's with on 1891 was following her father's footsteps as it were.  Interestingly on the previous census they're both together again as students in the household of Thornton G. Simpson in Hackney, although "Lily" is down as Leah.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 20:12 BST (UK) »
Simon, is there any address on Ada's birth certificate?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
Simon, is there any address on Ada's birth certificate?
Yep.  Says she was born in 2 Zion Cottages, Margate (born 16th October 1888, and the mother was also the informant.  Same address.)
I did look on my lunchbreak at both 1881 and 1891, but there weren't any Twymans living in the house.  Neglected to note who was there though, besides it not being a Dike either.