Author Topic: Beckett, Aghadavy, Ballinderry 1800-1855  (Read 5403 times)

Offline tsidey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beckett, Aghadavy, Ballinderry 1800-1855
« on: Wednesday 02 May 12 19:27 BST (UK) »
Thomas Beckett born about 1805 possibly in Aghadavy but certainly Antrim.  Married Matilda Whyte 28 December 1828, probably Aghadavy.  There are several Becketts in the 1851 census for this townland of Aghadavy.  Thomas & Matilda left for America about 1850 with 6 or 7 of their children.  Some came in 1851.  There is rumor that they left in a hurry because of a disagreement with a British soldier.  They moved to Troy, New York which is near Albany.
I am looking for connections with Becketts who stayed behind.  There was Mathew (1800-), James (1804-), William (1806-).  these are all close in age to Thomas and may have been brothers.  I would also like to know which church Thomas & Matilda were married in.
Many thanks,
Tia

Offline tappets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Beckett, Aghadavy, Ballinderry 1800-1855
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 10:15 BST (UK) »
A possible connection to the BECKETTs of "Clover Hill" Aghalee - now owned by Jack Irvine ..... ??

Descendants married into the KEARNS / WEATHERALL families .....

*Moderator Note:email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policy
My email address is not working sorry

Offline oakesy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 December 12 21:12 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in this search as we are Becketts from Aghadavey who left for South Carolina in 1789. My great grand uncle went back in 1920's and found Becketts still living on the original farm and got names & all. These names you have listed are family names still and I wouldn't be surprised if they are some of the same. I am living not too far away from Aghadavy and hope to get up there soon. Do you have any other info about where they lived? thanks!

Offline tsidey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 December 12 23:48 GMT (UK) »
The only information I have on Becketts in the U.S. is on the lot who settled in New York state in Troy and Albany.  The little bit I had passed on to me about the Aghadavy connection came from one of the original family's daughter's descendants.  Would love something new to chew on.
Thanks,
Merry Christmas
Tia

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 December 12 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   The 1862 Griffiths Valuation shows several Beckett families in this townland. The enumerator has used the spellilg BICKETT. See http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline oakesy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 December 12 11:28 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the reply! I will try to get my dad to post a bit up on here as I think I may not put up his website info?

Offline tsidey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 23:33 GMT (UK) »
I have a bit more on Thomas Beckett born 1805, died 1858 in Albany/Troy, N.Y. This was given to me by another member of the family.
Father                                                               Mother
Thomas Beckett                                                 Matilda Whyte Beckett
Born 1805  Died 1858                                       Born 1811  Died 1888
Associated with the lords and Dukes of the town of Belfast.  Followed the hounds on hunting trips, enjoyed life until the year 1848 when he got in trouble with a British officer which cost him a lot of money.  Then the failure of the Banks of England when he and his father lost all of their money  (The Panic of 1847 was started as a collapse of British financial markets associated with the end of the 1840s railway industry boom.)  He then decided to come to America, picked up quickly, disposed of their belongings.  Two of their chairs to Lord Downshire to stand in his bay window.  To Lord Donegall - a buffet which on account of its age, they called Methusala.  It was made of small pieces of wood and very hightly polished - a beautiful piece of furniture and highly valuable.  To Dr. Weathershead numerous things of value.
So they set sail for America.  They met a great storm - and were blown right back to where they started.  They waited for the ship to be repaired.  It took three months to come over.
My father was a broken hearted man, he went into business, our store the corner of Grand and Hamilton, the other corner Lark and Lumber, Albany, N.Y.  He stood it for nine years then died of a broken heart, leaving my mother with ten children.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 March 15 16:28 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of Beckett links with my Gilbert family of Aghagallon (not far from Ballinderry).

In Aghalee on the 3rd Feb 1847, my 1st cousin 4x removed, William Gilbert married Mary Beckett, daughter of Matthew Beckett.

A couple of years earlier, in 1845, William Gilbert's sister Jane married Samuel Turtle, son of John Turtle.

This is from my notes on John Gilbert, father of the above William and Jane:

One of John Gilbert's children married a Turtle and another a Beckett.  CEB Brett's book, "Buildings of County Antrim" features Laurel Hill in Aghalee.  This house was owned by the Turtle family while the farm next door was owned by the Becketts.  On the 14th December 1890, Isaac Cousins Turtle of Laurel Hill, only son of the late William John Turtle died, aged 38.  In his will Isaac directed that all his land that he be "possessed of or entitled to whether leasehold [or] freehold and chattles to be sold and the proceeds to be divided equally between [his] two unmarried sisters Mary Letitia and Harriet Turtle."  In 1891 Laurel Hill was bought by James Quinn who moved in with his wife (Jane Graham) and children.  On the 23rd September 1931 James Quinn's son William married his neighbour Annie Elizabeth Beckett.  As a result of this union the two farms were combined.  These Turtles and Becketts were presumably related to the spouses of John Gilbert's children.

Other marriages:

On the 18th March 1880, Samuel Beckett of Aghalee married Mary Elizabeth Turtle, eldest daughter of William Turtle of Ballinderry.

There was also a Beckett-Gilbert marriage in 1978, but that's a bit recent to talk about here.

Offline beckett29

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi tia I came across this thread while searching on Google!  I am a beckett still in ballinderry James 1804 was my GGG Grandfather I can help you with your questions possibly. How are you related and who was James parents?

Aaron